Gnumeric - the Gnome Office spreadsheet

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
technicolordreamcoat

Gnumeric - the Gnome Office spreadsheet

#1 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

[Moderator note: This is the official thread for the Gnumeric spreadsheet (view entry).

---
Gnumeric Portable is a spreadsheet, a computer program used to manipulate and analyze numeric data. Gnumeric Portable can help you keep track of information in lists, organize numeric values in columns and rows, perform and update complex calculations by defining each step of the calculation and modifying particular steps subsequently, create and display or print graphical plots of data using bar plots, line graphs, pie charts or radar charts, implement complex optimization modeling or perform many other tasks involving numbers, dates, times, names or other data. Plus, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your tutorial and presentation application wherever you go.
able to save files as .xls

Homepage:
http://www.tanisthalon.karoo.net/applications.html

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

I think that this is a very interesting application for the ones who don´t want to use all Open Office package on a USB Key... anyway the space required is 69 Mbytes...

To test it I unextracted it (but it is not necessary)... In the last times, I extract also my mum and other relatives with this tool... :shock:

Spread32 is still a great tool (for non heavy duty users)... On Xtort.net they link a web page which contains a bigger version of Spread32 (about 900 Kb on disk) Is it freeware too?

Gary

Gnumeric Portable

#3 Post by Gary »

AlephX

Gnumeric has impressive statistical features, some unmatched by any other spreadsheet, but was also taken back by its Yetiness. Discovered abundant language localization modules living here:

App/Gnumeric/share/locale/*

Kept only the two en* modules, which shrunk it down to 30MB. Still somewhat large, but a keeper by saving 39MB...

--Gary :)

AlephX

#4 Post by AlephX »

Gary, thanks!

I tried and now gnumeric is "only" (sorry for the quotation :) ) 30 Mb.

I agree: this is a great application!

Danix

X-Gnumeric 1.76 build 1

#5 Post by Danix »

X-Gnumeric 1.76 build 1
[Office Spreadsheet]
The Gnumeric spreadsheet is a versatile application developed as part of the GNOME Office project. Gnumeric is intended to be a drop replacement for a proprietary spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel).
Download: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.536

Required space: 18,2 MB (english version)

webfork

Re: The Gnome Office Spreadsheet

#6 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

New webpage:
https://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/

No Win client anymore:
We do not currently have a Win32 build; we have started looking at making one, but GTK3/Win32 isn't quite ready and need some patching to even compile, let alone work.

webfork

Re: Gnumeric - the Gnome Office spreadsheet

#7 Post by webfork »

Wolfghost wrote:Gen: Variant.Kazy.197178 (libxslt-1.dll) was blocked and removed by F-Secure !!
Yep, here's the virustotal report on that. It's 6/46 so I think that's safely in the false-positive area

Variants of this file are in LibreOffice, InkScape, and 7-PDFCreator, but I'd have to start compiling from source to find out if the issue you're seeing happens on something from the code-built version.

Wolfghost

#8 Post by Wolfghost »

@webfork
Ok thanks

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Tested this out a bit today (specifically the PA version)...

Wishlist:

* Update the UI to get away from the dark blue on red highlights,
* Update windows to look a bit more normal (the save as menu for example has a huge blank at the top that you've got to scroll down. * Support saving to CSV format (useful for cleaning all the formatting garbage that so many editors add).

AdrianK_IT

#11 Post by AdrianK_IT »

Help! How do you get it to display text? Installed PortableApps v1.12.17, trying to run it on a Win 7 Home Premium PC (en_GB), just get blank boxes where characters should be:

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

It seems that there is a problem with the interface language.
PortableApps wrote:Language Switching: Gnumeric will appear in the language of the PortableApps.com Platform. If run on its own, it will use the language of the operating system. If you would like to manually change it, open the file GnumericPortable\Data\settings\GnumericPortableSettings.ini and add a line Language=de (for German) Language=fr (for French) or similar.

AdrianK_IT

#13 Post by AdrianK_IT »

Hi, joby_toss, thanks for the reply. However, have tried Language=en (or en_GB) in both sections of the default .ini file, still get the empty boxes. Clearly, Gnumeric isn't picking up my locale info. How to solve? Is there a command line switch?

The default install apparently has language files in App\Gnumeric\share\locale; do I need to reference these in some way?

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

Try this then:
gnome.org wrote:Right click on My Computer, choose Properties, click on the Advanced
tab, click on the Environment Variables button. On the top window, click
on New and on the New User Variable, type LC_ALL in the Variable Name
field and "en_US gnumeric &" without the quotes in the Variable Value field.

The next time you login all menus should be in English.

AdrianK_IT

#15 Post by AdrianK_IT »

Thanks, joby_toss, but that doesn't solve the problem either. I have also tried to launch the app on a different PC (running Win 7 Pro), but get the same result.

I suspect there is some undeclared dependency necessary for gnumeric to run, which is on neither of those PCs. An MS VC++ Redistributable, perhaps? However, I can find no 'System Requirements' info on the Gnumeric site or elsewhere, so can't check this.