AutoText - Typing aid and clipboard extension

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
agam

AutoText - Typing aid and clipboard extension

#1 Post by agam »

a small program in the system tray for two tasks:

1. It offers in a small tooltip window saved words, texts, phrases, snippets, etc. during typing in any other program and will insert the selected item directly to the cursor position. In case of unsuccessful search, Space, Return, PgUp, PgDn etc. closes the small window, so that fast and liquid typing is not disturbed. Three different search methods can be set.

2. In addition AutoText monitors the clipboard and saves the last X text entries of the clipboard, which can then be retrieved as well.

supports Unicode

see: http://freeware.persoft.ch/ under "programs"

J. Agam

tproli

Re: AutoText - Typing aid and clipboard extension

#2 Post by tproli »

Simple but powerful, thanks!

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

http://freeware.persoft.ch/freeware_en.htm

Possible translation note here: no commercial use? Or commercial sale? I ask because some programs on our site request someone buy a license for commercial use. Thanks.

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

agam

#5 Post by agam »

hello,
right, that is not clear - it means "commercial sale". i will change the page. thanks for note !
j.a.

jabarig

#6 Post by jabarig »

Hi,

This is a great little app. I've already put it to good use. Although, I'm confused by the AutoClip part of the app. Can we "search" for recorded clipboard items by typing and choosing from the tooltip like the "AutoText" items or do we need to open the AutoClip.txt file and manually copy/past them as needed?

Thanks,
-jabarig

agam

#7 Post by agam »

Hi,

When the window appears with the last x clips you can enter, what you remember from the searched clip (mostly words, but NO initial numbers!) and then it acts as a filter, you can select the desired clip with a number (1-9).

regards
J.Agam

TP109

#8 Post by TP109 »

Saw this on persoft.ch site before, but it wasn't obvious what it was for. Now that it's mentioned here I decided to look at it again. Took some time experimenting with it to see how it worked and what it could be used for. Haven't seen anything like this before. It's a useful app that can be used for multiple purposes, including as a clipboard manager. Lghtweight and small too.

__philippe

#9 Post by __philippe »

The current AutoText v6.11, ostensibly dated 1-4-2016 on the developer's site, contains an actual 19/06/1992 link-date timestamp.
There is no evidence of a current changelog which could help elucidate this odd date discrepancy.

agam

#10 Post by agam »

no, the current version of AutoText is 6.6 from 1.3.2017 - on my website it was a mistake ... sorry ...

__philippe

#11 Post by __philippe »

@agam

Autotext.zip descriptive line currently on your site home-page:
AutoText - Typing aid and clipboard extension 6.6 -1.4.2016

Signature credentials for autotext.exe, extracted from the Autotext.zip archive just downloaded from your site:

Code: Select all

c:\>sigcheck -a -h -v  autotext.exe
        Verified:       Unsigned
        Link date:      23:22 19/06/1992
        Publisher:      n/a
        Company:        n/a
        Description:    n/a
        Product:        n/a
        Prod version:   n/a
        File version:   n/a
        MachineType:    32-bit
        Binary Version: n/a
        Original Name:  n/a
        Internal Name:  n/a
        Copyright:      n/a
        Comments:       n/a
        Entropy:        7.891
        MD5:    FB15C367855BD9B0424C157DDBF9613E
        SHA1:   C1F8E7E177E5DA1E80BD5033D822E3AA65674FB3
        PESHA1: 1341E2DE04C4350EFB85B8E65CA6D61AD56F8029
        PE256:  n/a
        SHA256: F2FA30092DBC8F5CAC35D657F7BEB8B1A34ABADE7EA286AD9F10876307AF7018
        IMP:    n/a
        VT detection:   2/61
[/medium]
The core issue is one of internal file identification.

The various calculated hash keys MD5 SHA1... could be checked to identify a file unambiguously, of course.
However, relying on hash values alone to track file serial versions would be rather cumbersome.

It is far more convenient for users to positively identify product versions by merely looking up the developer-provided values
included in the PE-executable built-in standard ID-fields, which, most regrettably here, are all currently empty.

For instance, it would be helpful to include
  • Description: Typing aid and clipboard extension
    Product: Autotext
    Product version: 6.6
and so on...

Thanks for considering this file identification suggestion for future versions of your fine program.

vmars316

AutoText.exe what key or hotKey do I press ?

#12 Post by vmars316 »

Hello & Thanks ,
For AutoText.exe what key or hotKey do I press to insert substitution text .
I tried Enter , and clicking on popup msg .
But neither work .
Thanks

TP109

Re: AutoText.exe what key or hotKey do I press ?

#13 Post by TP109 »

There is another program named AutoText program by JitBit, and there is the AutoText in the TPFC database. The AutoText in the TPFC database isn't very intuitive and it takes reading the limited instructions in the Help -About menu plus using it to learn how it works. AutoText is text insertion program and simple clipboard manager that can be used to insert text, phrases, dates, and snippets into an active window such as a text editor or Web Browser.

The simplest way to insert text is to set up a start character in Settings using Mode C for AutoText. A start character can be set up for AutoText on the left side of the settings dialog and another for AutoClip on the right. Pressing that start character in a focused application brings up a small window with entries that can be inserted from one of five possible Datafiles or one of three AutoClip files selected from the main menu. Select an entry by pressing the corresponding number and it will be inserted into the program. Same with AutoClip, use the start character to bring up the small window and select an entry by its corresponding number. There are three text insertion modes: A, B, and C, of which C is the easiest. It's also possible to create unlimited custom Datafiles and AutoClip files.

To be frank, Lintalist can do everything AutoText can do and more and it provides extensive help documentation on its website. AutoText has limited features and help documentation, but it's lightweight and easier to setup and use. Another easy-to-use consideration is TyperTask.
Last edited by TP109 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

vmars316

#14 Post by vmars316 »

Thanks ,
Ugh , still having probs .
default 'text start char ' is '.' period .
In Standard.txt I have vmars316 .
when I type '.vm'
up pops the window showing 'vmars316' .
and then it inserts '1' .
But not 'vmars316' .
Guess I am missing something ?
Thanks

TP109

#15 Post by TP109 »

I assume that you are using mode B by entering the start character and then the first characters of the search name. The entry of your DataFile (standard.txt) should look like the below. "vm" is the search name and vmars316 is the replacement text. It will be automatically numbered:
vm~vmars316

Type ".vm" and the window should pop up after the "v", even if you have the # of characters set to 2. Make sure you are in Mode B. As soon as the small selection window appears with the desired text, hit the the number key (e.g., "1"). Yes, if you keep typing in all the characters of the search name, it will insert the number after the search name characters, but it will still replace the search text with your replacement text if you hit "1" while the small insertion window is displayed.

Try changing the mode and/or start character if it's not working. You can also deselect take the first one (1.text) .... in settings. Sometimes the program doesn't respond to keystrokes and changing those settings helps - at least on my system.