Anyone feel like having a go at a program for me

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Kranor

Anyone feel like having a go at a program for me

#1 Post by Kranor »

Program is ICE book reader trial version. I started by installing it then copying the files and uninstalling it worked ok but left quite a few reg entries and user files in allusers/application data and a few other places. Ran it through Jantepe's Build portable wizard and it seemed almost right. 2 problems:-
when I inluded a app_jauntepe.ini file the program had a bit of a fit then went on strike.

When i tried using a skin to read an ebook there were non available and wherever I tried to put them it failed.

It seems to me that this is quite a poorly put together but highly usefull program ( it will allow me to read lit files at work ;-) if anyone has a spare half hour could they give it a go and if they have a good result let us now the outcome. BY the way i am only trying to get the trial version running not the pro version.

Program is here

http://www.ice-graphics.com/ICEReader/IndexE.html

Cheers in advance

Kranor

#2 Post by Kranor »

OK update time

I have got it working fine now as a portable with just one thing i would like to fix.
When you do a normal install of the software it creates two folders in c:\documents and settings\all users\ICE Book Reader Professional
These folders are called skins and spchdict. Skins is the one I am more concerned about it contains skins in zip files that will allow you to view e-books in 'Book mode' (a book on screen that you turn the pages on) this mode improves the readability of the e-book by a massive amount. the problem is i cannot get the program to pick up these skins. I have tried to place them in all the different folders in my portable build and they do not get picked up at all. so it looks like i need to do some kind of redirect......and this is where I then enter the land of I haven't got a bloody clue.

Any help appreciated

Firewrath

#3 Post by Firewrath »

hrm,
i havnt checked the program,
but if i remember correctly, JPE doesnt redirect the base user folder,
the 'all users' bit,

i Think redllars working on something to allow for custom folders saved there to be redirected in his next version,

this post and some of the next, explain it:

http://portablefreeware.com/forums/view ... 9&start=10

hope that helps, but sorry it doesnt fix your problem, =/

redllar

#4 Post by redllar »

Kranor wrote:OK update time

I have got it working fine now as a portable with just one thing i would like to fix.
When you do a normal install of the software it creates two folders in c:\documents and settings\all users\ICE Book Reader Professional
These folders are called skins and spchdict. Skins is the one I am more concerned about it contains skins in zip files that will allow you to view e-books in 'Book mode' (a book on screen that you turn the pages on) this mode improves the readability of the e-book by a massive amount. the problem is i cannot get the program to pick up these skins. I have tried to place them in all the different folders in my portable build and they do not get picked up at all. so it looks like i need to do some kind of redirect......and this is where I then enter the land of I haven't got a bloody clue.

Any help appreciated
I downloaded the version you pointed to and as far as I can tell the app is already portable. I found no reg entries of any kind beyond what the installer created and I found no non-app-directory subdirs or files created. All I did was run the installer in "Full installation" mode and selected "Portable Install" on the "Select Additional Tasks" page. No JPE was required. I went ahead and did an install and app run via JPE and didn't run into any problems.

Just for future reference, when seeking help it's best to provide as many specifics as possible. This is especially true with JPE as it's extremely flexible but can also be extremely touchy. For instance, one of the biggest "hidden" gotchas made with JPE is using file system redirection on an app that's located in a desktop sub-folder. This doesn't make much sense when you think about it but most people apparently don't do much thinking when using JPE.

Kranor

#5 Post by Kranor »

Trust Me to try to do things the hard way LOL

Cheers redlar

Kranor

#6 Post by Kranor »

unfortunately it doesn't work properly. due to the trial license you can only read books created on the computer that you created it on. So no reading my huge .lit collection at work yet :-( it would work if i upgraded to the full version but at $96 a pop it's a very expensive piece of software that does not give you full value. So back to the drawing board and trying to make MS reader portable somehow.........

Kranor

#7 Post by Kranor »

For anyone who is interested if you wanna read lit files get ms reader and thinstall it. YAY