Free password generator

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Jacob8502

Free password generator

#1 Post by Jacob8502 »

Hello, iPassword Generator is a free Windows utility developed to create strong, random and unique password with ease. It could generate strong password using a technology called Tabula recta from the keyfile you selected, which makes it different from other password generators.

Platform: Windows XP / 7 / 7 x64 / 8 32-bit

Homepage: http://passwordsgenerator.net/iPassword/

Download it now: http://passwordsgenerator.net/iPassword ... Gen1.0.zip

webfork

Re: Free password generator

#2 Post by webfork »

Jacob8502 wrote:It could generate strong password using a technology called Tabula recta from the keyfile you selected, which makes it different from other password generators.
Very cool idea. I thought of a few ways to explain this:
  1. Like a key file for all your websites that generates unique passwords
  2. Like a password storage tool: instead of saving the passwords to a single file, you have all your passwords connected to one file.
  3. A password recovery tool: if you use this to create all your passwords in the first place, you can go back and regenerate them if you lose your password list.

Levels

Maybe the best part is how you have incredibly fine-grained manual control over your security. Using the default settings is very secure, but at each step you get progressively more and more locked down (or paranoid):
  • Encrypt the keyfile and then mount it with a password when you want to use it
  • Enter in your username (as well as a master password) for more entropy
  • Select password size and
  • Even cloak both the keyfile and the password itself to prevent shoulder-surfing
  • Ability to clear your clipboard after completion
  • With a keyfile comes the ability to fully destroy your passwords

Portable: Yes (saves no settings)

Wishlist
  • I'd actually like it optionally save some basic settings (e.g. specifically password length and type)
  • Better explanation about how to hide the file inside of something else (it mentions an MP3, jpg, etc. on the site but I couldn't figure that out).
  • Open source & cross platform. Could probably be built using PHP and a web browser.
Last edited by webfork on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (formatting)

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:Could probably be built using PHP and a web browser.
I think it has... http://www.zero1design.com/2010/12/24/t ... generator/ :?:

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:
Ha! Yeah, that would do it... nice.

Still, an easy-to-use, packaged version would probably see more users. I explained this idea to two people who do computer security for a living, and they didn't seem to get it.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

As we say around here: "there's always a wooden stick in the ironsmith shop"... sometimes the experts' perception is too far detached from the layman's for the chance of a match.

carbonize

#6 Post by carbonize »

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

carbonize wrote:OP actually stinks of spam - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22iP ... %20free%22
You're right that the self-advertisement level is remarkably high. However, it does appear to actually be freeware.

carbonize

#8 Post by carbonize »

But just because they posted it on a relevant website doesn't make it any less spam.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

carbonize wrote:But just because they posted it on a relevant website doesn't make it any less spam.
I think it's a different issue mainly because spam is trying to sell something. I guess I'd call this "overposting".
Midas wrote:As we say around here: "there's always a wooden stick in the ironsmith shop"... sometimes the experts' perception is too far detached from the layman's for the chance of a match.
Very well said. I still think that -- properly executed, this could be a fantastic security tool.

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:I guess I'd call this "overposting".
I've seen it referred as 'flooding' in a different context (Usenet)... :|

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:
webfork wrote:I guess I'd call this "overposting".
I've seen it referred as 'flooding' in a different context (Usenet)... :|
Ah -- of course. Well said.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Midas wrote:
Other utilities could also be used: Digital Blast's Secure Password Generator, for instance -- just select scope of characters to include, set desired matrix dimensions in the 'Length' and 'Quantity' fields, click 'Generate' then 'Save...', and there you have a new Tabula Recta in a text file... 8)

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

NOTE: Just listing this for reference. I don't recommend it due to problems described below.

Another software alternative to iPassword Generator: Pass the Pie. Enter in a core password and a website name to generate a 26 character (upper and lowercase letters + numbers) password e.g. 2h9F90S2Q8940h0Z2L0aZzGns9

Stealth: Untested
License: GPL v3

Home page: http://issenda.com/software/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/P ... -Pie.shtml

Versions available for Mac, Linux, Android, Web/iOS

Problems (on my WinXP SP3 machine):

* The "seed" mechanism doesn't work like a master password and doesn't save portably (USER\Application Data\.PTPie). Export doesn't work.

Wishlist

* Control over password length or content
* Hash/salt mechanism doesn't change radically from password to password. Those generated with similar site names will look similar e.g. Bysl2mPn907965gXW8Vn2RmzNa and Bys3cfaiur9n65g1b6Pqir76Na.
* Help file, other information

Jacob8502

#14 Post by Jacob8502 »

webfork wrote:
Wishlist
  • I'd actually like it optionally save some basic settings (e.g. specifically password length and type)
  • Better explanation about how to hide the file inside of something else (it mentions an MP3, jpg, etc. on the site but I couldn't figure that out).
  • Open source & cross platform. Could probably be built using PHP and a web browser.
Hello, webfork,

Thanks for your reply,

1, Saving some settings is actually a good idea, thanks.

2, First select the keyfile, then press the "Encrypt Keyfile" button, type your password, and press "OK", finally choose the MP3( or JPG, MP4, etc. ) file, then the keyfile will be encrypted and inserted to the MP3 file. You can play the MP3 file with any music player like WinAMP, 1by1, VLC, etc.

To mount the MP3 file, first select it as keyfile, then press "mount" and enter your password, if the password is correct then you can generate same passwords as the original keyfile.

3, It's a great idea, but it will take some time to implement, and the amount of users is very small:(

Jacob8502

#15 Post by Jacob8502 »

carbonize wrote:OP actually stinks of spam - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22iP ... %20free%22
I only posted this freeware to a few popular websites, such as sourceforge, portablefreeware and softpedia, other posts were not posted by me, if you develop a small application and submit it to softpedia or cnet, a few months later you'll find dozens of posts with the same content as it :(