Greenfish Icon Editor Pro

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
risk

Greenfish Icon Editor Pro

#1 Post by risk »

NewKreation

#2 Post by NewKreation »

Is this program not portable?

Personally, I think it should be added to the database. :)

Thanks!

Drutt

#3 Post by Drutt »

It's got my vote!
Clean when regshot, just unzip and run it 8)

SYSTEM

Re: Greenfish Icon Editor Pro

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

Greenfish Icon Editor Pro 3.3 is available. However, it's 64-bit only and therefore less portable than version 3.25.
Changelog wrote:
  • Finally open source! You can compile your own version for 32-bit, 64-bit, Linux, Mac, etc.
  • Official executables run only on Win64 from now on.
  • Added feature: Save a Copy
  • Updated translations
I added a note to the entry.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

JohnTHaller

#5 Post by JohnTHaller »

Quick repost from our discussion on PortableApps.com: "Just for anyone thinking about grabbing 3.3, it is quite literally the worst installer I've ever seen. It has over a half dozen offers, all of which you have to decline, at least one of which attempts to then trick you with a popup. Even after declining all of them, it will shut down any running browsers on your system and refresh the Windows shell to reload icons. All that just to have the 'installer' download the zip file you should have gotten in the first place."

That's the only portable download they make available of 3.3, an installer that downloads the zip.

We're compiling the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and will have them available in clean PortableApps.com Format installers soon.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote: We're compiling the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and will have them available in clean PortableApps.com Format installers soon.
Great. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

JohnTHaller wrote:Quick repost from our discussion on PortableApps.com: "Just for anyone thinking about grabbing 3.3, it is quite literally the worst installer I've ever seen. It has over a half dozen offers, all of which you have to decline, at least one of which attempts to then trick you with a popup. Even after declining all of them, it will shut down any running browsers on your system and refresh the Windows shell to reload icons. All that just to have the 'installer' download the zip file you should have gotten in the first place."

That's the only portable download they make available of 3.3, an installer that downloads the zip.
Absolutely not true. You do realize that paying attention to details is important and critical in your line of business, don't you?
2013-07-08_GFIE1.png
2013-07-08_gfie2.png
2013-07-08_gfie3.png

JohnTHaller

#8 Post by JohnTHaller »

I am Baas wrote:Absolutely not true. You do realize that paying attention to details is important and critical in your line of business, don't you?
Ah, missed that. My apologies on that. Although in my defense, it's checked by default and designed so you just click without noticing (big download button, tiny type afterwards). That is, if you don't click on the uber-shady ad that's just a bigger download button next to it first. I hadn't expected a horrible downloader like that linked from the publisher on what appeared to just be a file hosting site, so my guard was down, unlike at other freeware download sites.

Additionally, might I suggest giving people the benefit of the doubt before shouting at them and attacking their abilities? Especially with a site designed to get people to download the worst installer in the world. :)

The rest of the statement still stands, though. It truly was the worst installer I've ever seen. And we'll need to add a warning to the publisher link on PortableApps.com explaining how to avoid it. Like we did when DVDStyler was distributing adware in their local installer that would install even when you unchecked the box (verified 3 times in a VM before posting).

UPDATE: Just tried it and it does give you the zip download. But, as a final insult to injury, it uses unchecking the box to spawn a pop-under full-screen ad unless you're running AdBlock.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Thanks for the amusing read. ;)

loin2kolpotoru

#10 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

JohnTHaller wrote: We're compiling the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and will have them available in clean PortableApps.com Format installers soon.
Looking forward to downloading the paf version.

Currently there is no download link of 3.3 version in the website -
http://greenfishsoftware.blogspot.com

JohnTHaller

#11 Post by JohnTHaller »

It looks like the source code may not compile in its current form. It complains of a missing component and, when that reference is removed as per the publisher's suggestion, it still fails. Gord at PortableApps.com compiled the DLL in code::blocks and the rest in Lazarus but wound up with an incomplete result with no languages and blank menus. The publisher told Gord he's working on a new 3.31 version that will reintroduce 32-bit, so hopefully that will drop soon.

UPDATE: 3.31 has been posted and is being tested.

loin2kolpotoru

#12 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

sad to know that.

JohnTHaller

#13 Post by JohnTHaller »

3.31 is portable and shows clean. Recent files and similar will break, of course. We're packaging it up into PAF that will auto-switch between 32 and 64-bit and portablize paths.

The released source for 3.31 still won't compile, though, which is worrisome. You can follow along our efforts here: http://portableapps.com/node/37600

loin2kolpotoru

#14 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

JohnTHaller wrote: You can follow along our efforts here: http://portableapps.com/node/37600
Ok i will keep an eye on the post for further developments, thank you.

JohnTHaller

#15 Post by JohnTHaller »

As promised, the 3.31 release is packaged up in PortableApps.com Format with dual-mode 32-/64-bit automatic support and path portablization: http://portableapps.com/news/2013-07-09 ... 1-released