"Popular first" / "Newer first" confusing should be dropdown

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
robertcollier4

"Popular first" / "Newer first" confusing should be dropdown

#1 Post by robertcollier4 »

The "Popular first" / "Newer first" sort option is confusing. When it says "Popular first" it is actually currently sorting by "Newer first" and when it says "Newer first" it is actually sorting by "Popular first". It is actually operating as "Switch to Popular first" and "Switch to Newer first" - but even then the user would not know the type of current sort that is being currently shown.

It should be made so that it is intead a dropdown with the text telling the current sort being shown. And then with a dropdown arrow similar to how the "Display X entries" operates to give the user his/her other options.

tproli

Re: "Popular first" / "Newer first" confusing should be drop

#2 Post by tproli »

I agree it is a bit confusing and probably would be better to swap current labels.

I'm not sure adding a dropdown would help a lot - what would it contain, only one element?
So if the list is currently sorted as "Popular first", then the dropdown would contain "Newest first".

Perhaps modifying the label to "Sort by popularity date" and whichever is active (popularity/date), it would show as inactive, e.g. as gray. That would still look weird a bit and would require much more space.

I think swapping the labels would be just enough. Current solution is from the first verion of TPFC website and it is bulletproof as it works without JavaScript.

SYSTEM

#3 Post by SYSTEM »

tproli wrote: Perhaps modifying the label to "Sort by popularity date" and whichever is active (popularity/date), it would show as inactive, e.g. as gray. That would still look weird a bit and would require much more space.
I think I'd like it.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have just swapped the labels for the time being.

If we change to "Sort by popularity date", we would have to make the same change to "Compact Full view" as well to be consistent.