DropIt - Command Line + Logging

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
whoisearth

DropIt - Command Line + Logging

#1 Post by whoisearth »

Running into a few minor issues.

With Command Line I've noticed that just specifying a Profile isn't doing anything. My assumption is that if you run dropit.exe -profile it should automatically call the Associations in that profile related to the folder you're monitoring on an adhoc basis. It doesn't seem to be doing this, if I'm doing it wrong let me know :)

What I want is to be able to script the calling of dropit to open, copy files from folder A and put them in folder B.

I've figured out how to do this by doing dropit -profile "folderA" "folderB" but then it seems a bit redundant if the info is already configured in the GUI.

Concerning logging - Is there a way to generate separate logging for each time dropit does a sync instead of dumping it all in the LogFile.log? This way I can scan the output for the log that was generated by the application to verify files were copied.

edit to add about the LogFile.log I have searched the server high and low I cannot find this file. Where is the actual path it is putting it? nm found it. local to the user acct -

c:\users\<userid>\Application Data\DropIt\

another edit - I've also noticed that with DropIt command-line it only seems to be working if I'm logged in as the user I want to run it in. If I try to call the batch through something like Task Scheduler it doesn't run. works fine if both folders are local but they're both UNC so I'm guessing has to do with permissions?

Lupo73

Re: DropIt - Command Line + Logging

#2 Post by Lupo73 »

If you specify only a profile as command, DropIt simply starts with that profile. Then it will scan monitored folders if defined and enabled.

If you use -profile "folderA" as commands, DropIt will use associations from that profile to process files included in "folderA" (so you don't need to add also "folderB" as command, because it is already defined as destination in your associations).

Currently it is not possible to create separated log files, but I'll consider it for the future. DropIt may generates the log file in "%AppData%\DropIt" directory.

Maybe there is a issue with UNC paths, can you describe your problem?

whoisearth

#3 Post by whoisearth »

Hey Lupo,

Yup I've hammered it down to be a permissioning issue, though unsure why it's not a problem when logged in.

When logged into the server I can run the command fine from a batch file -

D:\Progra~1\DropIt\DropIt.exe "\\server\location_of_files" "D:\temp\dropitTEST"

But if I try to log off the server and then run it remotely it fails, but does say that it copied 0 files (there are actually 10 files in the directory). If I go local drive to local drive it's fine. If I map the UNC as a local it still doesn't work.

As for this -
If you specify only a profile as command, DropIt simply starts with that profile. Then it will scan monitored folders if defined and enabled.
so if I call DropIt.exe -Sync it should then monitor the folders and use any associations linked to that profile? This doesn't seem to be happening. My only reason I could think this is that if I have the monitoring set to something like 2 minutes it's not staying open to accomplish the task. It would be better if you called DropIt from command line it automatically does the commands associated to that profile. My logic anyways.

I'll let you know if I have anything new.

Lupo73

#4 Post by Lupo73 »

I'll do some tests in the next days.

whoisearth

#5 Post by whoisearth »

Hey Lupo you're off the hook :)

The problem is MS Sharepoint (POS software) and how it interacts via UNC with servers, specifically Windows 2003 server. I'm still investigating but it's not your application.

Lupo73

#6 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for the report, I'll remove it from the list of bugs. :wink: