Cathy - disc cataloging tool

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Ruby

Re: Cathy disc cataloging tool, now portable.

#31 Post by Ruby »

The 2.29 seems OK, it's when rolling back to 2.28 it did not load the indexed data/file that 2.29 had created.

joby_toss

#32 Post by joby_toss »

Oh, yes! I understand now (and confirm)! This is a very good observation!

P.S. "CathyCmd.exe" v2.29 needs also "msvcp100.dll" to run.

joby_toss

#33 Post by joby_toss »

Ruby wrote:The 2.29 seems OK, it's when rolling back to 2.28 it did not load the indexed data/file that 2.29 had created.
I am pleased to say that I got a quick answer to my Sunday mail message, from Mr. Robert Vašíček. Thank you, sir!
2.29 saves 4 byte indexes for folder names, the 2.28 only 2 bytes – it was the limitation 65535 for number of folders.
So yes, catalogs created with version 2.29 cannot be opened with version 2.28.3. Maybe add a note of this to the database entry?

As for my error message, I understand that I'm not the only one, but it's a tricky situation to debug, because the author cannot replicate this issue on his test machines.

poutnikl

#34 Post by poutnikl »

Current Cathy 2.30 has also implemented not following junctions/folder symlinks,
so it avoids to list false duplicates.
Last edited by poutnikl on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

poutnikl

#35 Post by poutnikl »

joby_toss wrote:Today I've hit Cathy's 65535 folders limit. Bummer...I can't catalog my HDD anymore. :( Just sad...
With coming new and debugged versions of Cathy it is going to be obsolete,
but even with 2.28.3 you were able to do so.

E.g. one catalogue for Windows folder and another for all but windows. Best if automated by CathyCmd.

Edit: But, OTOH, even with Cathy it can make sense to create more catalogs per disk, for easy limiting of the search.

joby_toss

#36 Post by joby_toss »

Newly released version 2.30 fixed my "Encountered an improper argument" error.

Thank you!

Midas

Re: Cathy portable woes...

#37 Post by Midas »

I followed instructions here to get Cathy's latest version (v2.31) portabilized with yaP (v0.0.2.3fixed).

(You can find my yaP launcher @ uploadmirrors.com /download/VMDPW6HL/Cathy_v2_31-yaP.zip; if you use it, you might want to change the 'silentbatch=' value to '1' in the 'CathyP.ini' file to prevent console windows from appearing/remaining open...)

But I've hit a couple of snags:

- I'm getting the "Encountered an improper argument" error reported by joby_toss when I try to index my data disk (815GB, less than a quarter full), even after following the instructions posted by [@ http://www.mtg.sk/rva/] (see below) -- although it looks as if it could be a permissions problem with Windows (7 SP1 x64), I had no trouble whatsoever indexing the system root drive;
Some users report a strange error - if similar happens to you, please use the previous version or set Run as Administrator both in Cathy.exe properties and Cathy shortcut properties...

- I can't set the "hit limit" through the "settings" dialog, because whenever I do and then press the "OK" button it resets itself to 5000 -- it works if I change the value in the reg file, but then its not as straightforward as that value is not decimal.

Any feedback will be appreciated. TiA,
Last edited by Midas on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

joby_toss

#38 Post by joby_toss »

1. Sad to see this error again... Doesn't appear in my case anymore though. Try mailing the author, maybe you can help him find a solution.

2. Using "Cathy.exe -ini cathy.reg" option forces Cathy to read the settings file without being able to modify it, so the only way to change the settings would be to manually alter the "cathy.reg" file.
Attachments
Screenshot - 2013.02.23 , 2_35_43 AM.png

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

Thanks for chiming in, dear joby_toss. :)
joby_toss wrote:Try mailing the author, maybe you can help him find a solution.
I did, and am waiting anxiously. Cathy would be just perfect if it weren't for this portability 'papercuts' and a few cosmetics issues...
joby_toss wrote:Using "Cathy.exe -ini cathy.reg" option forces Cathy to read the settings file without being able to modify it, so the only way to change the settings would be to manually alter the "cathy.reg" file.
With the launcher, I chose not to read a static reg file, but to load and unload a dinamic one -- which only makes the second issue all the more taunting...

EDIT: No go, the author responded that he's unable to investigate problems occurring in remote computers, although he concurs this might be a permissions issue.

And, like joby_toss here, he assumed I was using the -ini command line parameter: "According to -ini option, it was developed for the special request of sone user - he wanted to add (burn) Cathy.exe and a prepared catalog file to burned CDs with some content to allow to find quickly anything inside it." Although I'm not using it, it seems that parameter is meant for running Cathy from non-writable media...

Oh well, as much as I like Cathy, for one reason or other it never worked for me, so I'll be closing this little project of mine for good. :(

EDIT2: Got the error even when running the launcher with SYSTEM privileges, with RunAsSystem...
(reboot.pro/files/file/237-runassystem-and-runfromtoken/)

sparkie001

#40 Post by sparkie001 »

I also get the "Encountered an improper argument" error. But if I restart Cathy and index a subfolder TEST it works. I can also refresh that folder TEST successfully. BUT if I try the whole drive I get the error, and if I then try to refresh the folder TEST that was successful earlier it also gives the error. I have to restart to be successful with that folder.

Midas

Re: Cathy - disc cataloging tool

#41 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: Cathy v2.31.3 released 2013-10-03 (changelog at http://www.mtg.sk/rva/; see below).

Apparently this version definitively solves the problem I reported above (untested!):

http://www.mtg.sk/rva/ wrote:v2.31.3 - "Improper argument" message concerning strange file date definitely corrected, strange dates are saved as 1977-01-01

BTW, sibling CLI utility CathyCmd v2.31.4 released, dated 2014-01-25.

http://www.mtg.sk/rva/ wrote:v2.31.4 - Keeps existing catalog if device/path is not available for refresh
v2.31.3 - "Improper argument" message concerning strange file date definitely corrected, strange dates are saved as 1977-01-01

So here's the updated yaP launcher configuration for full unencumbered portability:

Code: Select all

; configuration file for yaP v0.7.1 (http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/)
; application name: Cathy
; version: v2.31.3
; website: http://www.mtg.sk/rva/

[GENERAL]
application = App\Cathy.exe
commandline = -dir {YAPROOT}\CATS

; application = 
; commandline = 
; workdir = 

[BEFORE]
regkey = HKCU\Software\rOva\Cathy

bitcoin

#42 Post by bitcoin »

ha, i didn't know this program was still being updated

Midas

#43 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Cathy v2.33 released 2019-07-06 (changelog at http://rva.mtg.sk//; see below).

v2.33 - Bug in Max hits setting corrected, listbox now shows all files in folder

bitcoin

#44 Post by bitcoin »

joby_toss wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:15 pm And, by the way, you don't have to install Visual C++ 2010 package; you can extract "mfc100.dll" and "msvcr100.dll" files using 7-zip and moving them in Cathy's folder.

fwiw, i tried both 7-zip and uniextractor and neither worked.

Pretty sure i did this a few years ago and it did work then

billon

#45 Post by billon »

@bitcoin:

In 7-Zip:
vcredist_x86.exe\.\.\.\.\vc_red.cab\F_CENTRAL_mfc100_x86
vcredist_x86.exe\.\.\.\.\vc_red.cab\F_CENTRAL_msvcr100_x86
Extract, rename