Winamp - media player

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Hank7

Winamp - media player

#1 Post by Hank7 »

[Mod note: as this is the official forum topic for Winamp (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=515), the post subject was amended to better reflect it. Original was: "Winamp 5.35 & detailed instructions for full version".]

Winamp 5.33 is available. And here is what I have figured out so far to make the full version work without installation:

1) Extract using Universal Extractor.

2) Rename the folder "winamp533_full_emusic-7plus" to "Winamp" (just for now, rename it later if you want).

3) Move the content of "Winamp\$[30]\Plugins" to "Winamp\Plugins". Delete "Winamp\$[30]".

4) Create "Winamp\Skins". Move the folder "Winamp\$R0\Winamp Modern" to "Winamp\Skins". Delete "Winamp\$R0".

5) Move the folder "Winamp\$OUTDIR\avs" to "Winamp\Plugins". Move the folders "Winamp\$OUTDIR\Community Picks" and "Winamp\$OUTDIR\Winamp 5 Picks" to "Winamp\Plugins\avs". Delete "Winamp\$OUTDIR".

6) Move the folder "Winamp\$_OUTDIR\freeform" to "Winamp\Plugins". Move all other folders from "Winamp\$_OUTDIR" to "Winamp\Skins\Winamp Modern". Delete "Winamp\$_OUTDIR".

7) Move the content of "Winamp\$PLUGINSDIR" to "Winamp". Delete "Winamp\$PLUGINSDIR".

8) Delete "Winamp\Plugins\$PLUGINSDIR", "Winamp\paths.ini" and "Winamp\[NSIS].nsi".

9) Copy "nscrt.dll" from "Winamp\Plugins" to "Winamp".

10) Whip the lama's ass.

Guess that way you should be on the safe side, maybe a few files are not necessary. Please let me know if I forgot something.
Last edited by Hank7 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

-= Mancubus =-

#2 Post by -= Mancubus =- »

How do you unpack Winamp's NSIS installer with Universal Unpacker? As far as I know, it isn't able to unpack such installers and actually, I couldn't unpack Winamp 5.35 with it, because it thinks that it is some kind of InstallShield.

-= Mancubus =-

#3 Post by -= Mancubus =- »

Made a quick look-through on msfn.org's forums and found out that 7zip can easily unpack NSIS files. And - voila! Winamp's unpacked and with your instructions works flawlessly! Thank you very much!

Hank7

Glad to hear it worked

#4 Post by Hank7 »

7zip works fine, too. It doesn't produce [NSIS].nsi, but unless you are intersted in the install script this file is useless anyway.

BTW, you can find Universal Extractor at http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract.

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you and that the instructions still apply to 5.35.

-= Mancubus =-

Re: Glad to hear it worked

#5 Post by -= Mancubus =- »

Em... I meant exatly Extractor, not Unpacker :-)
But it doesn't work for me :-(

ivanoe

#6 Post by ivanoe »

What about winamp full 5.5? (When extracted with UniExtract, the file structure is quite different)

OR

Is this operation the same as installing winamp locally, just copying it over to memory stick, and uninstalling winamp from local computer? Or something still needs to be configured there.

Thanks

USB_Kx

#7 Post by USB_Kx »

I first installed mine. and then did some editing of the

Code: Select all

paths.ini
[Winamp]
inidir=
It seemed to stop winamp from throwing anything into the Documents and Settings\User\Application Data folder. Seems to work ok.

Note : I use a very minimal winamp install, just enough to play sound files.

"The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your pocket."

ivanoe

#8 Post by ivanoe »

I installed locally, copied to USB, and uninstalled.
Removed path.ini, started winamp and closed it.
after that set the no_registry=1 in winamp.ini (you must start winamp to have this file created).

Then when clicking on Local Library files I was getting error as described here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=2252790

The solution I found was to hide the INFO little window at the bottom of the window.

castman

#9 Post by castman »

I can easily provide instructions for the extraction of the last version of Winamp but first I need people to answer me two questions.

1. After the extraction of Winamp, I noticed that the music player sometimes crashes or freezes when displaying visuallizations for a remote period of time when I interact with the interface. Is that normal?

2. And something VERY VERY STRANGE. I have formatted my hard disk drive recently and when I put any music I previously put to play, the Winamp RECOGNIZES MY CUSTOM ALBUM ART THAT IS NOWHERE. I suppose that Album Arts are carried within the file. It doesn't make music files heavier?

Edit: (About 2) Damn! WMP 11 was making my mp3 files bloated. Sources:
http://www.richardfarrar.com/embedding- ... mp3-files/
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... 31033.mspx

castman

Re: Winamp 5.35 & detailed instructions for full version

#10 Post by castman »

donald requested me the extraction instructions and I can provide by using dir /b /s and a XP mandatory profile.

I am cooking now the translation...wait a few minutes....

create a new user, do 1st logon as him editing the account and giving a password (I prefer).
create a folder for copies and a folder for the local copy of this roaming account
change the account location to this folder
copy with authenticated users permission and modify the folder owner to administrators
unmark the modify and write to that folder and rename the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man
also append to the folder where was copied the account .man to turn it into super mandatory

this way you have a mini extractor for executables. nice, isn't it?
don't forget to put the ultimate media library into the plugins folder for better usability.
have a good joy!

freakazoid

Re: Winamp 5.35 & detailed instructions for full version

#11 Post by freakazoid »

Just tested Winamp 5.63 and these are the number of registry keys and values it modifies:

Code: Select all

[machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control]

[machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources]

[machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\DirectSound]

[machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\DirectSound\Speaker Configuration]
"Speaker Configuration"=dword:00000004

[machine\software\Classes\CLSID]

[machine\software\Classes\CLSID\{1F486A52-3CB1-48FD-8F50-B8DC300D9F9D}]

[machine\software\Classes\CLSID\{56FDF344-FD6D-11D0-958A-006097C9A090}]

[machine\software\Classes\CLSID\{BCDE0395-E52F-467C-8E3D-C4579291692E}]

[machine\software\Classes\CLSID\{CD773740-B187-4974-A1D5-E0FF91372277}]

[machine\software\Policies\Microsoft]

[machine\software\Policies\Microsoft\Cryptography]

[machine\software\Wow6432Node]

[machine\software\Wow6432Node\Nullsoft]

[machine\software\Wow6432Node\Nullsoft\Winamp]

[machine\software\microsoft\Cryptography]

[machine\software\microsoft\SQMClient]

[machine\software\microsoft\SQMClient\Windows]

[machine\software\microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledProcesses]

[machine\software\microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontLink]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontLink\SystemLink]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\DataStore_V1.0]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\SurrogateFallback]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\SurrogateFallback\MingLiU]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\SurrogateFallback\MingLiU_HKSCS]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\SurrogateFallback\PMingLiU]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{6881ae72-1ba9-4c19-8b56-7cca991f9a12}]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{6881ae72-1ba9-4c19-8b56-7cca991f9a12}\Properties]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{8c8eb7fb-04c1-4993-89d1-8b8a8132db55}]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{97edcb4c-4d41-4302-8284-d3ac65b93d56}]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{97edcb4c-4d41-4302-8284-d3ac65b93d56}\Properties]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{ac476c8c-ab06-4d99-bbe7-dbe515afc9d3}]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{dffc66a6-c58b-4528-b7d6-d6f4821a2f51}]

[machine\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{e43b7871-333d-4c02-a8ad-4495a1e367d1}]

[user\current\System]

[user\current\System\CurrentControlSet]

[user\current\System\CurrentControlSet\Control]

[user\current\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties]

[user\current\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties]

[user\current\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick]

[user\current\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\Winmm]

[user\current\software\Microsoft\Scrunch]

[user\current_classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache]
"{WINAMP_DIR}\winamp.exe"="Winamp"
If you do not use the DirectSound output plugin, the registry entries decrease a tiny bit.

Apart from the registry, Winamp writes a file in /%APPDATA%/Microsoft/Crypto/RSA/.

Tested on Windows 7 x64.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

Re: Winamp [audio player]

#12 Post by Midas »

Apparently, Winamp is preparing a comeback... so moving topic to 'non-portables' sub-forum until further notice.

www.ghacks.net /2018/10/16/radionomy-plans-to-release-a-completely-new-winamp-version-next-year/

https://betanews.com/2018/10/15/winamp-6/

loin2kolpotoru

#13 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

Download :- Winamp 5.8 Build 3660 Beta
https://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/cl ... _en-us.exe

billon

#14 Post by billon »

WACUP (WinAmp Community Update Project)
Get new features and bug fixes for your patched Winamp 5.666 release from those who care about keeping Winamp alive and whippin' via new & replacement plug-ins. The latest available preview build is #3174 (January 2nd 2019)

bitcoin

#15 Post by bitcoin »

billon wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:42 pm WACUP (WinAmp Community Update Project)
Get new features and bug fixes for your patched Winamp 5.666 release from those who care about keeping Winamp alive and whippin' via new & replacement plug-ins. The latest available preview build is #3174 (January 2nd 2019)
Preview Version: 1.0.9.5144

Released: 5 March 2020

"portable" version available