Project Invincible

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lautrepay

Re: Project Invincible

#31 Post by lautrepay »

SYSTEM wrote:
lautrepay wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:I told them that Project Invincible is FOSS (i.e. I can't "provide software licenses"). In addition, I don't own the copyright of the whole source code (there are still parts written by former developers), so I can't make Project Invincible commercial even if I wanted.
Why not?
I'd need their permission.
I don't think so. You give the pertinent credits to the previous developers to protect their copyrights, your software is licensed under the GPL, the source code is available: why can't you sell copies of it?

SYSTEM

#32 Post by SYSTEM »

lautrepay wrote: I don't think so. You give the pertinent credits to the previous developers to protect their copyrights, your software is licensed under the GPL, the source code is available: why can't you sell copies of it?
Ah, I see what you mean: keep source code open and sell copies regardless. I was thinking about closing source code.

Of course, if I did that, likely no one would buy a copy. The GPL allows anyone to compile Project Invincible from source and redistribute it. (BTW, if you run into an open source for-pay application, I can happily compile it for you. :) )
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

lautrepay

#33 Post by lautrepay »

SYSTEM wrote:(BTW, if you run into an open source for-pay application, I can happily compile it for you. :) )
Well, I've been curious to know if Vista Services Optimizer Pro can be compiled with the source provided. :wink:

SYSTEM

#34 Post by SYSTEM »

lautrepay wrote: Well, I've been curious to know if Vista Services Optimizer Pro can be compiled with the source provided. :wink:
Done. Here is a copy with the nag screen removed (too big to upload here): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0P8wSx ... duM00/edit :)

SYSTEM

#35 Post by SYSTEM »

guinness

#36 Post by guinness »

Now you're a developer!

I am Baas

#37 Post by I am Baas »

Congrats, SYSTEM
User Rating: Excellent (5.0/5) Rated by: 4 user(s)

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Congrats, SYSTEM
User Rating: Excellent (5.0/5) Rated by: 4 user(s)
Agreed. Well done.

SYSTEM

#39 Post by SYSTEM »

Yet another contact.
Dear Software Developer,

Did you know that you could be earning money every time someone downloads your software?
In fact, hundreds of developers just like you are already turning downloads into profits through partnership with SweetPacks.

My name is Limor Garten, and I am a partnership manager at SweetPacks (http://www.sweetpacks.com).
We create monetization opportunities from software installations through websites such as
CNET (Download.com), Softonic.com and MetaInstaller.

To find out about how you could earn money with every software download, please contact me directly at
(email address removed) or leave your details at http://lp.sweetim.com/Partners.

Thanks very much,
Jonathan Mamou
SweetPacks Team
I decided to not reply at all.

----

By the way, I'll release Project Invincible 2.04a tomorrow. It will be an Unix-only release that fixes compiling the game on some GNU/Linux distributions, including recently released Ubuntu 13.04.

SYSTEM

#40 Post by SYSTEM »

SYSTEM wrote: By the way, I'll release Project Invincible 2.04a tomorrow. It will be an Unix-only release that fixes compiling the game on some GNU/Linux distributions, including recently released Ubuntu 13.04.
It's available now.

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:I decided to not reply at all.
Probably a good idea. Also, thanks for sharing -- it's interesting to see how enthusiastic bundleware companies are to get their stuff into freeware.

SYSTEM

#42 Post by SYSTEM »

SYSTEM wrote:Another contact.
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you as a representative of SoftFinder.com, a recently launched online software directory. SoftFinder is developed and managed by Red Sky, a company owing several on-line projects, largely successful in the global market. Their portfolio includes popular search engines, such as Alternative, FilesTube, an international movie website Pnop, a flash games platform Wowin and many others.

<snip>
SoftFinder contacted me again.
Hello,

I represent SoftFinder.com and I am pleased to inform that your software has been certified by our team and included in our catalog. SoftFinder’s directory is already hosting over one million of reliable applications and our website traffic increases by 100% each month.

At this stage we would like to invite you to join our Certified Partners Program, which is dedicated to chosen software authors, selected based on our internal criteria. By joining the program you are entitled to use services that will explicitly increase the number of your software downloads, enhance your product awareness and in consequence will add to your income. These would be as follows:
  • Promotion of your product on SoftFinder listing;
  • Editorial review of your software, additionally distributed through our Social Media channels;
  • Dedicated article on our blog;
As our Certified Partner you can benefit from all of the above options totally free of charge, provided that you insert the certified software label on your website in accordance with our guidelines. Please see the available creatives and contact us in order to obtain a selected label along with our instruction.

Please note, the above promotional conditions of the Certified Program will be applied only to developers, who join the program by the 30th of June, 2013.

If you are interested, please reply to this email at your earliest convenience and I will be happy to provide you with all materials and further information.

Kind regards,

Lukasz Kwiatkowski
Product Manager
I think their offer is actually reasonable. Thoughts? :?:

Midas

#43 Post by Midas »

If it suits you, take it! :mrgreen:

I am Baas

#44 Post by I am Baas »

Check alexa.com for traffic information... desperate for backlinks?

SYSTEM

#45 Post by SYSTEM »

I am Baas wrote:Check alexa.com for traffic information... desperate for backlinks?
Well, I think a review is worth a backlink. :|