PortableFreeware and the future

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

PortableFreeware and the future

#1 Post by webfork »

This is split from the 2012: The Year The Desktop App Died thread...

---
TenaciousD wrote:Installed apps on smart phones and related technologies make it very easy to download and then use them as all the installed apps can be accessed from one place. Unlike desktop 'apps' and the horrible start>all programs> [big list of all installed apps] (At least for windows users anyway).

This underlines my point nicely: the pain and confusion of the install process is the whole reason our site exists. Back in the DOS days, settings were always in the application directory, but when developers offered an "installation" version, that was supposed to put everything in one place and make things simple. As I found out with Win95/98, there was also a unique set of problems:
  • Inability to easily maintain settings between computers
  • Registry cruft slows your computer down over time
  • Poor uninstall
  • Tries to run at startup
  • etc.
Then why didn't Windows fail? Because the various supposed "fixes" to this situation didn't work: efforts were made to centralize/control the install process via a "sandbox" / "walled garden" where restrictions prevent software from misbehaving. However, you run into another set of problems when you tie people's hands, usually with compatibility and customization. This didn't go away with mobile devices: with the tightly controlled "app store" method offered by the iOS framework, there's much less room for device-app integration and ability to customize the look and feel. Meanwhile, I can swap the entire interface on Android, but once again we see more problems with uninstall, startup, and settings issues mentioned in the list above.

That's why I don't think desktop apps are dead: as it's relatively new, mobile doesn't have the same expectations. As we watch it mature, you'll find the same issues all over again. I predict this will become even more clear as the line between mobile device and PC continues to diminish, like how tablets and laptops are increasingly similar.

Here is where I see PortableFreeware.com's role in computers: we're offering a third option. We give users the tools to customize the applications to behave according to a specific set of expectations: portable, as close to stealth as possible, and few dependencies. The price is frequently a non-simple procedure to make it work, but provides a great deal of customization in a self-contained format; once it's set the way you like, it will always work that way and won't affect anything else on your machine.

As the install process issue isn't going away, I think we'll be here for the long haul, but if Microsoft can't make that bridge, we may well see a "Portable Android / ChromeOS" section on the site.
Last edited by webfork on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixed wording)

Midas

Re: PortableFreeware and the future

#2 Post by Midas »

Nicely put, IMHO. I'm currently going through the process of pruning/backing up my Android device microSD and the filesystem does feel like a jungle.

webfork

Re: PortableFreeware and the future

#3 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Nicely put, IMHO. I'm currently going through the process of pruning/backing up my Android device microSD and the filesystem does feel like a jungle.
Thanks -- the "desktop is dead" article got me thinking about what mobile means and where PFW fits in to that. And yeah I've had the same problem with messy Android file management.