Comodo IceDragon (Web Browser)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Comodo IceDragon (Web Browser)

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Comodo IceDragon
As the number of internet threats increases, users are faced with choosing a browser which fits both their security needs and meets their particular browsing necessities.

In an attempt to meet the different requirements of users we're happy to announce the release of the new Comodo IceDragon browser!!!

The browser is built on the Mozilla browser core and combines the basic functionalities of the original code with the Comodo security features.

In this first release we have included the basic security features such as Comodo Secure DNS ( only on wide-system ) and Site Inspector. The Site inspector functionality has been extended to allow users to scan a link in Site Inspector from the context menu.

Realizing the importance of social interactions through various social networks, the social media feature has been integrated in Comod IceDragon allowing users to share links on several social networks.

IceDragon combines these features with a sleek interface, providing a seamless browsing experience.

KNOWN ISSUES

- The "Restore" button on windows XP is not also displayed when hovering the mouse cursor above it.
- Importing data from Comodo Dragon is not possible yet.
- Importing data from Mozilla Firefox is only available during the installation of Comodo IceDragon and may not work in some cases.
- Minor GUI issues.

BUG REPORTS:
----------------------------------------
Please use https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cid-b284.0/ to report your bugs. Our moderators collect these bugs and submit them to the devs.

DOWNLOAD LOCATIONS:
----------------------------------------

Setup for Windows XP 32-bit/64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit/64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit:

http://download.comodo.com/icedragon/icedragonsetup.exe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Size: 26.1 MB (27,371,336 bytes)
MD5: 5236f89909b37aec926fea2e66ccd383
SHA1: 73cdb6279020a077904278aa3845aa19c59acc94

donald

Re: Comodo IceDragon

#2 Post by donald »

This Comodo Browser does not at this time offer a portable install option via the installer. (as opposed to the previous offering Comodo Dragon)

carbonize

#3 Post by carbonize »

Comodo seem desperate to get people to use a browser made by them by offering both Chrome and Gecko versions. Makes you wonder why.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

I agree with carbonize.

I'm guessing the reason why they're releasing a separate fork of the browsers is because they can't make the DNS changes from an extension? If that isn't the case, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense!
is it stealth? ;)

carbonize

#5 Post by carbonize »

What's so special about their so called Secure DNS anyway? Personally been using Open DNS for years.

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

No idea! Off-topic, can you switch DNS from a browser extension? I don't think you can!

I recently stumbled on an app that does this - DNS Jumper:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1869

Then, if you wanted to use Comodo Secure DNS, use these servers:

I used to use OpenDNS, but my ISP's DNS is slightly faster.
is it stealth? ;)

carbonize

#7 Post by carbonize »

Yeah I have desktop set to use ISPs DNS servers but router sends all other requests to OpenDNS. Did this to control what the kids can access.

DNS Jumper is an excellent program and it's one of the tools on my USB stick.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

carbonize wrote:DNS Jumper is an excellent program and it's one of the tools on my USB stick.
Ditto! 8)

lautrepay

#9 Post by lautrepay »

Now with its own homepage: http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-too ... rowser.php

And the possibility of a portable installation:

@ moderator:
Could you please move this to the submission sub-forum? Thanks in advance.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

lautrepay wrote:Could you please move this to the submission sub-forum? Thanks in advance.
All set

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

Tested: Not Portable

This will come as a surprise to some, but I decided to test this 'Secure Firefox.' :mrgreen:

Writes settings to:
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Extensions
%APPDATA%\Mozilla
HKLM\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla\CurrentVersion 17.0.1.0
I must say though the installer was Portable.

lautrepay

#12 Post by lautrepay »

guinness wrote:Tested: Not Portable

This will come as a surprise to some, but I decided to test this 'Secure Firefox.' :mrgreen:

Writes settings to:
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Extensions
%APPDATA%\Mozilla
HKLM\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla\CurrentVersion 17.0.1.0
I must say though the installer was Portable.
The user profile is stored in the application folder. The folder in %APPDATA% is empty, the registry key is not related with settings.
So, it's portable, not stealth.

By the way, the installer can be extracted with 7-zip or PeaZip. Create a UserData folder next to icedragon.exe to make it portable.

And... off course I won't use it.

guinness

#13 Post by guinness »

Oh, I didn't test with extensions. But I agree maybe I my dislike for Firefox was the reason I was quick to say 'Not Portable.' :mrgreen:

lautrepay

#14 Post by lautrepay »

guinness wrote:Oh, I didn't test with extensions. But I agree maybe I my dislike for Firefox was the reason I was quick to say 'Not Portable.' :mrgreen:
guinness, Firefox and Opera are on the same side now. The enemy is the browser of the multicolor wheel.
Fortunately, as far as I know there is only one TPFC member who uses that browser. Unfortunately, he's the owner of the circus. :mrgreen:

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

lautrepay wrote:guinness, Firefox and Opera are on the same side now.
I missed that memo then. :mrgreen: