YUMI - Your Universal Multiboot Installer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

YUMI - Your Universal Multiboot Installer

#1 Post by Midas »

[Mod note: the present is the official forum topic for YUMI; https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2368]

An excelent flash drive boot tool, that has been mentioned a couple of times here at TPFC (see viewtopic.php?p=37361#p37361 and viewtopic.php?p=49088#p49088), but hasn't been the subject of a proper submission. Here it is, then... :mrgreen:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ wrote:YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer) [...] can be used to create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple operating systems, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more. Contrary to MultiBootISO's which used Grub to boot ISO files directly from USB, YUMI uses syslinux to boot extracted distributions stored on the USB device, and reverts to using grub to Boot Multiple ISO files from USB, if necessary. Aside from a few distributions, all files are stored within the Multiboot folder, making for a nicely organized Multiboot Drive that can still be used for other storage purposes.

YUMI is currently up to v7.9, is FOSS, consists of a self-contained portable single executable (stealthiness not tested!) and can be downloaded from the link in the quote above.

Here's the (alpha sorted) list of currently supported distributions:
  • Acronis Antimalware CD
    AOSS (Malware Scanner)
    Archlinux
    AVG Rescue CD (Antivirus Scanner)
    Avira Antivir Rescue CD (Antivirus Scanner)
    BackBox Linux (Security and Forensics Tools)
    Backtrack 5 & 5 R1
    BitDefender Rescue CD (Antivirus Scanner)
    BKO boot.kernel.org-gpxe
    Bodhi
    CAELinux (Computer Aided Engineering)
    CentOS
    Clonezilla Maverick
    Damn Small Linux
    Debian Live Gnome/KDE/LXDE/XFCE 6.0.4
    Deft 7 (forensics)
    DRBL (Diskless Remote Boot in Linux)
    EASEUS Disk Copy
    EasyPeasy
    Edubuntu
    F-Secure Rescue CD
    Fedora 15/16/17
    FreeDOS
    Fuduntu
    G DATA Antivirus
    GDATA Rescue CD (Antivirus Scanner)
    GParted
    HDT (Hardware Detection Tool)
    Hiren's Boot CD
    HP SmartStart, HP Firmware Maintenance, and HP Automatic Firmware Update Tools
    Jolicloud
    Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
    KNOPPIX 7
    KON-BOOT (Login as admin without using a password)
    Kubuntu 12.04/11.10/11.04/10.10/10.04
    Liberte Linux
    Linux Mint 10/11/12
    Lubuntu 12.04/11.10/11.04/10.10
    Mandriva 2011
    Matriux (penetration testing)
    Memtest86+ (Memory Diagnostics)
    Mythbuntu 12.04
    Netrunner
    OCZ Tools
    Offline NT Password + Reg Editor
    OpenSUSE 11/12
    Ophcrack XP/Vista/7
    OSGeo Live
    Panda Antivirus
    Parted Magic
    Partition Wizard 5
    PCLinuxOS
    Pear Linux
    Peppemint Linux OS
    PING
    Pinguy OS
    Porteus
    Puppy Linux
    Redo Backup and Recovery
    Rescatux
    RIP Linux (Recovery Is Possible)
    SalineOS
    Semplice
    Slacko Puppy 5.3
    SLAX 6.1.2
    SliTaz Linux 4.0
    Sn0wL1nuX
    Sugar on a Stick
    System Rescue CD
    T(A)ILS
    Terralinux
    TinyCore
    Trinity Rescue Kit
    Try an Unlisted ISO (uses GRUB)
    Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix
    Ubuntu 12.04/11.10/11.04/10.10/10.04
    Ultimate Boot CD
    Ultimate Edition 3
    Web Converger
    Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8 Install Disk (Create ISO from your own DVD)
    XBMC
    XMBCbuntu
    xPUD (Simple Netbook Distro)
    Xubuntu 12.04/11.10/11.04/10.10/10.04
    YlmF OS
    Zorin OS
Originally suggested by webfork: viewtopic.php?p=37361#p37361.

Userfriendly

Re: YUMI

#2 Post by Userfriendly »

I think this should be submitted to the database. This is just the multiboot version of Universal USB Installer and they usually both get updated with the same features. I find multibooting with multiple linux distro's, windows installers, Hiren's and other system utilities in a single USB stick more useful.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Userfriendly wrote:I think this should be submitted to the database. This is just the multiboot version of Universal USB Installer and they usually both get updated with the same features. I find multibooting with multiple linux distro's, windows installers, Hiren's and other system utilities in a single USB stick more useful.
If it meets the requirements of TPFC, then you can submit it yourself.

Userfriendly

#4 Post by Userfriendly »

But.. but.. I'm new and I'm lazy lol. Just kidding. I have a 6 year old account here that I forgot the password for. I only planned to just suggest stuff when I made this new account. Let you guys do all the dirty work hehe. But I'll see what I can do when I get the privilege.

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

Why didn't you select 'Forgot my password.'

I wonder why multiple accounts aren't frowned upon here? They are on other Forums I know of.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:But.. but.. I'm new and I'm lazy lol. Just kidding. I have a 6 year old account here that I forgot the password for. I only planned to just suggest stuff when I made this new account. Let you guys do all the dirty work hehe. But I'll see what I can do when I get the privilege.
If you can take the first few steps for us, that might help get the entry together. So a 32x32 icon, screenshot, file size, Unicode, extract instructions, Windows versions supported, etc.
guinness wrote:I wonder why multiple accounts aren't frowned upon here? They are on other Forums I know of.
Certainly in the context of abuse, I definitely frown upon it. The issue hasn't really come up yet, although it certainly could if a user made an idea or issue is more popular or of greater concern.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (created two separate posts -- consolidating)

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

I suppose you're right, we have been lucky in that instance.

Userfriendly

#8 Post by Userfriendly »

Well its exactly the same as Universal USB Installer - http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1834&ts=1354122835
Except it has the added ability to boot multiple OS's, system utilities, iso's, Linux etc. So pretty much use the same information and icons with just a different description.
But I was thinking maybe it's not necessary to submit. Universal USB Installer already has a comment mentioning YUMI and the website advertises both programs anyway.
guinness wrote:Why didn't you select 'Forgot my password.'
The email I used that was associated was a throwaway gmail account. I have don't remember what password or security info I used anymore. Since it was 6 years since I last used it.

I can see how multiple accounts can be abused. Like how reddit or digg used fake accounts vote up articles to the frontpage.

Userfriendly

#9 Post by Userfriendly »

Added here http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2368

I just copy pasta'd the description from the website and added a link to Universal USB Installer since they're almost identical. Not sure if it's against the rules to refer to similar apps.

donald

#10 Post by donald »

This is definitely worthwhile.

Its complicated enough to justify keeping UUSB (Its not over duplication, so don't replace UUSB.)

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

For the record, I found cases in which YUMI didn't work but UUSB did -- the previous Linux Mint Debian Edition was one of them...

EDIT: confirmed by the "Known problems in LMDE" page (see below).

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_betsy.php wrote:The LMDE ISOs and the live installer use a different structure than the ones used by other distributions. Please do not use Yumi or multiboot technologies with LMDE as it won't install properly.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: YUMI is now being released in two different versions, YUMI Standard OR Legacy (currently v2.0.6.7, released 2019-07-11) and YUMI UEFI (currently v0.0.1.6, released 2019-05-30).

Changelog for both versions is at www.pendrivelinux.com /yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/#Changelog.

Relevant info about YUMI UEFI:

The following YUMI UEFI version is a work in progress that utilize GRUB2 for both UEFI and BIOS booting. Please NOTE that it is not backwards compatible with standard YUMI. Supported distributions are limited, and your USB drive must be Fat32 formatted to support booting in UEFI mode. (Only BIOS mode will work with NTFS formatted drives).

loin2kolpotoru

Re: YUMI - Your Universal Multiboot Installer

#13 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

Can anyone please share last XP compatible version of YUMI, YUMI-UEFI and Universal USB Installer and their sources.

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

loin2kolpotoru wrote: Can anyone please share last XP compatible version of YUMI, YUMI-UEFI and Universal USB Installer and their sources.

No promises, but please state required versions, so I can check my backups... :|

juverax

#15 Post by juverax »

YUMI older versions: https://yumi.en.softonic.com/?ex=BB-185 ... r-versions
(I don't know which one(s) is/are XP-compatible ... :roll: ).