JauntePE Re-released.

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Firewrath

JauntePE Re-released.

#1 Post by Firewrath »

Yup, thats right, read the title, JPE has been 're-released'
Here.

Quick info about the program:

What this program does, is take Almost any program and makes it portable by redirecting the registry and file system changes it might make.
unfortunately, it cant catch 'everything' due in some part just to plain system limitations, and in part to how the program your trying to use with JPE was coded.
(IE: Sandboxie has to install a service to get past this and it still doesnt catch everything. ...Not to dis Sandboxie though, its a very nice program, just not 'portable'.)

All the info you need to get JPE to work, is in the zip file.
I did change one little thing though.
By default, JPE isnt set to run things in 'portable' mode, *i changed the setting file in the zip to do this so you dont have to do it manually.
(*OR, rather i Thought i did, >.< ive updated the zip and sent it to Andy. One mistake down, ? left to go, -_-)

JPE also supports command line launching,
that is to say, a shortcut in your 'sendto' folder that points to JPE, will launch any program you 'sendto' JPE with your JPE settings.
(This hasnt been test by me in the last few version because i use Pstart to launch all my JPE programs, but the info i got from redllar is that this worked with all versions, but just incase, if you want to use this and it doesnt work, let me know and ill look into it.)

And im going to say this, again, :P
i did Not make this program. Redllar did. All i did was throw info i have on it and a couple of guides from the forum here into one zip.

So there it is for everyone thats been looking for it. ^-^

Have any questions or comments, post them here and ill try to get back with you as soon as i can, (which, lately ...hasnt been that quick, stupid job, -_-)

And i cant 'fix' everything, i was just one of the program testers helping Redllar, but he sent me a lot of info about how the thing works, (i bugged him alot, ;)) and ive tested around 300 programs with JPE,
(From what i heard, Fluff even got some games working with JPE,)

Also, i want to give a quick thanks to portable-freak, who unselfishly (and without his knowledge :P) let me put his quicky JPE guide into my zip.

Anyways, the zip should help you with about 90% of the stuff you need, and im going to be surprised if anything but the most complicated questions/problems show up here.
(IE: Read the guides/readmes first, ;))

So, i guess that covers about everything, ^-^

MasterGoodheart

#2 Post by MasterGoodheart »

Thanks for 're-releasing' it! I've been wanting to try this for a while now, but got confused trying to find a download link.

I was able to make HelpNDoc properly portable using JPE with no work at all. Thankyou portable-freak and firewrath for your nice guides :)
If you plan on making any more guides, you might find the HelpNDoc program useful, I certainly like it.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1233

Kranor

#3 Post by Kranor »

How about a list of Freewae that works with JPE? for one thing it will allow people to practice using it. we might even need a seperate JPE forum???????

Banshee

#4 Post by Banshee »

Totally agree with Kranor - a separate area for 'portable only through JPE' apps is a great idea.

Ban

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

Sadly, I was in private contact with Redllar all along and we were planning to do this (create a dedicated forum for JauntePE) once he is ready to release something official. But you know how it turned out...

Anyway, I think having a separate forum for JauntePE is a great idea too. I will go ahead and create it, and come back with the URL.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK, done! The new forum is located at:

http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

Banshee

#7 Post by Banshee »

Nice one.

calm_observer

Re: JauntePE Re-released.

#8 Post by calm_observer »

Firewrath wrote:Yup, thats right...
so if i understand correctly your watching the resistry in real or near realtime? is this how the portableapps do it? just asking :?

Firewrath

#9 Post by Firewrath »

Actually, im not sure,

its either not watching the registry at all, or watching the registry for changes made only by the program,

It 'injects' the JPE.dll into the program, which could tell it to make all registry changes to a file, or, a file in memory, depending on how you set it up,

OR, since its using API hooking, the dll Could be watching for registry changes the program is making, and redirecting them to a file,

unfortunately, both have reasons why that method wouldnt catch everything,

personally i think its more the second then the first, but,..... *Shrugs*

and the portableapps.com guys, use NSIS, which is an installer scripting language,
they take the time to find every change the program is going to make to the registry and add those sections to their scripts,
which then redirects only those entrys into a .reg file,
meaning if the program updates and has a new registry entry, and you replace the program in the portableapp portable version, the script wont catch the new registry usage and let them through to the registry,

the fact you have to program the registry entrys into the NSIS script is what turned me off from using it to try and make my own portable programs, :P

Granted, i havnt checked it out ina while, but im pretty sure all that still applys,

(Oooh, our very own JPE forum, awesome, ^-^
Thanks Andy, :D)

calm_observer

#10 Post by calm_observer »

Firewrath wrote:Actually...
ok so i'm doing it like portableapps, but i run one monitor process that monitors any number of portable apps where as they add another process for each portable app.
Firewrath wrote:...the fact you have to program the registry entrys...
i haven't found it as bad as you. you can manipulate a whole section of the registry with one call to regedit. changes with new versions rarely reguires any updating of my scripts.

Brent2007

#11 Post by Brent2007 »

I am really interested in trying JauntePE. I have been trying to download it for the past couple of days. I keep getting the message: "Daily download quota exceeded. Please try again tomorrow."

Any suggestions on how to get JauntePE?

much appreciated.

Zach Thibeau

I think I still..

#12 Post by Zach Thibeau »

I think I have a copy that firewrath offered. I'll mirror it and post the link tomorrow

Loner

#13 Post by Loner »

You sure are wordy! Why dont you just tell us what the hell the program is about in more detail instead of parenthesizing every other sentence?

Quick info about the program:

What this program does, is take Almost any program and makes it portable by redirecting the registry and file system changes it might make.
unfortunately, it cant catch 'everything' due in some part just to plain system limitations, and in part to how the program your trying to use with JPE was coded.
(IE: Sandboxie has to install a service to get past this and it still doesnt catch everything. ...Not to dis Sandboxie though, its a very nice program, just not 'portable'.)

All the info you need to get JPE to work, is in the zip file.
I did change one little thing though.
By default, JPE isnt set to run things in 'portable' mode, *i changed the setting file in the zip to do this so you dont have to do it manually.
(*OR, rather i Thought i did, >.< ive updated the zip and sent it to Andy. One mistake down, ? left to go, -_-)

JPE also supports command line launching,
that is to say, a shortcut in your 'sendto' folder that points to JPE, will launch any program you 'sendto' JPE with your JPE settings.
(This hasnt been test by me in the last few version because i use Pstart to launch all my JPE programs, but the info i got from redllar is that this worked with all versions, but just incase, if you want to use this and it doesnt work, let me know and ill look into it.)

And im going to say this, again, :P
i did Not make this program. Redllar did. All i did was throw info i have on it and a couple of guides from the forum here into one zip.

So there it is for everyone thats been looking for it. ^-^

Have any questions or comments, post them here and ill try to get back with you as soon as i can, (which, lately ...hasnt been that quick, stupid job, -_-)

And i cant 'fix' everything, i was just one of the program testers helping Redllar, but he sent me a lot of info about how the thing works, (i bugged him alot, ;)) and ive tested around 300 programs with JPE,
(From what i heard, Fluff even got some games working with JPE,)

Also, i want to give a quick thanks to portable-freak, who unselfishly (and without his knowledge :P) let me put his quicky JPE guide into my zip.

Anyways, the zip should help you with about 90% of the stuff you need, and im going to be surprised if anything but the most complicated questions/problems show up here.
(IE: Read the guides/readmes first, ;))

So, i guess that covers about everything, ^-^[/quote]

redllar

#14 Post by redllar »

Loner wrote:You sure are wordy! Why dont you just tell us what the hell the program is about in more detail instead of parenthesizing every other sentence?
Please go back to whatever hole you dragged yourself out of. Your kind are not wanted in this forum.

spchtr

Mirror?

#15 Post by spchtr »

Is there maybe a mirror somewhere where one can get the 0.1.2 version of this? Seems to be a pretty popular app and the bandwidth at geocities keeps getting exceeded.

Perhaps one of the rapideshare/megaupload sites would be good. Temporary, reasonable bandwidth, etc.