@tproli: You are awesome! We are witnessing first hand the stark difference between a programmer and a designer.
Thanks. In fact the existing layout is quite functional and well thought so there was no need to reinvent the wheel. There are some new features but basically it was only skinning.
1) Was any tool(s) involved in designing the layout?
- Adobe Fireworks. Its filetype is png but I can convert it to psd which is more universal. I guess it is not hard to convert it to GIMP's file format.
- "Open Sans" is the font used: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/open-sans
2) What kind of skillset is required for someone to modify/update/extend the layout?
- for the graphical part, Adobe Fireworks or Photoshop (or GIMP).
* Is this a fixed-width layout or a variable-width layout? (current version of the site is variable)
* Is it going to be responsive layout? (eg. work with mobile devices)
Quoting myself from page 3:
I plan it to be flexible/responsive. So it would stretch to full width but on lower resolutions some items will be hidden. For example below 600 px (screen width) the sidebar would be hidden.
I think we should wait some days, maybe there will be some modifications requests.