Digsby - multi-protocol chat program [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

#1 Post by joby_toss »

There is a portable version of Digsby on Caschy's blog:
http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/2009/03/23/ ... atefaehig/

The page is in German, but you have the option to tranlsate it (somewhere on the right side).

carbonize

#2 Post by carbonize »

I just added Digsby multi messenger. Probably could do with some testing to see if it does leave anything or not.

guinness

Re: Digsby

#3 Post by guinness »

Tested: Not Portable

carbonize

#4 Post by carbonize »

What's not portable about it so I can hassle the devs in to fixing it? Hard for me to test since I have it installed.

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

Following your advice of extraction it created Registry Keys which shouldn't be present if truly Portable. They were in the Uninstall section of the Registry. Secondly, it created an empty folder in %APPDATA% ... and I know writing to the %TEMP% is accepted on TPFC FAQ, but if you're on another PC surely this can lead to messages being read by someone simply navigating to %TEMP%. Why can't they store files in the "App" folder?

carbonize

#6 Post by carbonize »

OK I passed this on to the devs and one of them, Mike, says some of it will be fixed in the next alpha release.

http://forum.digsby.com/viewtopic.php?id=7495

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

OK! Didn't realise you were going to quote me :)

carbonize

#8 Post by carbonize »

lol Always better to pass it on verbatim and that way nothing gets lost due to my messing up.

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss »

I have mixed feelings about this one. Can't explain it... :)
No registry entries (after extraction), empty "Digsby" folder left behind in AppData, another one in LocalSettings\AppData, settings saved in App\env folder...so I think it is portable but not stealth.
I have no idea what will happen during an automatic update process...I'll have to wait and see. Until then, I'll start it using JPE.

joby_toss

Digsby platform will be open sourced

#10 Post by joby_toss »

http://blog.digsby.com/archives/1947/
What’s Next for Digsby

July 10, 2012 @ 6:15 pm EST · Filed under News

We apologize that it’s been awhile since we’ve been in touch! Digsby is privileged to have a passionate community and powerful group of users, and we wouldn’t be where we are today without you. We’re delighted to inform you that soon the Digsby platform will be open sourced, allowing you and others to build and evolve this great product.

What does this mean for me?

Once we release the open source version, your Digsby settings will now be stored locally on your computer, rather than being saved to the Digsby servers. Additionally, the Digsby widget will no longer be available, but you can still access all your favorite Digsby features through the application.

You can contribute! All users will have a place to share ideas, and our technically inclined users will have a chance to get their hands dirty to build out features and updates (as well as see some of the powerful behind-the-scenes frameworks that we’ve built to-date).

When will this process take place?

We will roll out the open-sourced version of Digsby on Github in the coming weeks. Look out for specific updates here on the blog.

As always, we want Digsby to continue to thrive and be your go-to tool for IM + Email + Social Networks, so we’re giving more power to the best folks we know who can make this a reality: you!

Midas

Re: Digsby platform will be open sourced

#11 Post by Midas »

Good news. Although somewhat heavy on resources, and sometimes loaded with crapware, it is one of the best multiplatform free IM clients. 8)

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Although Pidgin is great, I've had some annoyances for a while and tried instead to use InstantBird, but development on that client doesn't seem to be advancing. There are a few conspicuous bugs that have been around for almost the whole year I've been using it (some of them I pointed out to the devs). Look forward to more choice in open, cross-platform clients, so this is good news. Hopefully Digsby goes with a GPL or LGPL license.

Some background:

Portable?
Yes, Digsby is here on the site

Is it good?
It hasn't gotten a lot of attention here on the site, but I've only seen mostly positive reviews. For example, a PCMag review from 2 years ago:
Digsby is my main IM client, mostly because it can handle every IM system protocol out there—AIM, Facebook, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo, you name it. Only Meebo offers more services, but, as a web-based app, it's somewhat limited compared with Digsby. The big players offer two services at the most—Yahoo and Live talk to each other, while Gmail's chat can handle AIM as well as its own. Digsby also does a great job of keeping you abreast of your social network feed, with tray icons and dedicated windows for each service, in which you can update your status. Its voice and video capability using TokBox is functional, but I tend to use Windows Live Messenger or Skype for that.
Sidenote: I was very amused by the download.com review of the program that was written before they started including their own adware in everything they host:
Users should be aware that Digsby now calls out all of its bundleware during the installation process, so install with caution if you don't want the Ask.com toolbar or the grid computing protocol. This is a marked improvement from when Digsby only allowed opting out after the program was installed, so we're more comfortable recommending the program once again.

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

Funny sidenote, indeed! :)

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: Not much in the way of new software here, but just sharing some stuff I came across while looking into it...

Digsby hasn't seen much activity for almost two years (on their blog anyway) but wantd to add that they did remove all the bundled software included with their program. Also, the Github page is up: https://github.com/tagged/digsby .

It's using a modified Python license.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Looks like this effort was a bust ... no changes to their blog and no github activity for almost a year. That's a shame.