Which portable launcher lets you search in description?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Andrew Lee

Which portable launcher lets you search in description?

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have been using ASuite for the longest time now, after leaving PStart. Now I am looking for a launcher that lets me enter notes about an application and be able to search for it. ASuite let's you enter description and notes, but only searches in the app name. I tried all the launchers in the database but none fit my requirement. I even tried .Net -based launchers like SyMenu, but sadly that searches in the app name as well.

Any good recommendations?

lautrepay

Re: Which portable launcher lets you search in description?

#2 Post by lautrepay »

Andrew Lee wrote:Now I am looking for a launcher that lets me enter notes about an application and be able to search for it.
Something like this?

http://www.liberkey.com/en.html

The description only reflects a personal opinion... based on scientifically proven facts.

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! Just what I am looking for. It's a little heavy at 19MB, but then it does a lot more. The keyword search works beautifully!

The user experience is also quite different from the simple tree-based menu of ASuite and PStart, but just for the keyword search feature alone, I am going to give it a go and wrap my head around it. :D

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have added it to the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2306

Basically, it was quite straightforward to get the ASuite/PStart experience. After unpacking and running it for the first time, click on the down arrow above the color palette icon and select "Create new menu...":

Give the menu any name. I called mine "Applications". Once you are done, a new tab appears and you can start creating the menu tree by right-clicking on the tab and creating new categories and application shortcuts under those categories:

Now you can right-click on the tray icon and select from the menu tree:

Or left-click to bring up the main window to add shortcuts or reorganize the menu (and to perform search on descriptions, which was why I needed to move away from ASuite in the first place).

This coming from a former ASuite/PStart user. Obviously LiberKey has a lot more to offer (such as portable desktop shortcuts and file associations), which I will no doubt get to experiment in due course. The ability to get prepackaged apps from their catalog with automatic update is definitely neat for some people. But LiberKey is a great portable launcher in its own right, and I am glad they didn't restrict the launcher to their catalog but allow DIYers like myself to add our own apps to the launcher.

procyon

#5 Post by procyon »

Quite interesting !
Is there a way to change the skin ?

Edit,
Oh, i just browsed their english forum and i found this: LiberKey Portabilizer Documentation ... :?:

JohnTHaller

#6 Post by JohnTHaller »

procyon wrote:Oh, i just browsed their english forum and i found this: LiberKey Portabilizer Documentation ... :?:
Keep in mind that this isn't a true portablization launcher like JauntPE, WinPenPack or PortableApps.com's are. It's just a way to package software to work with the illegal LiberKey suite. It won't work on its own.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

JohnTHaller

#7 Post by JohnTHaller »

Andrew Lee wrote:I have been using ASuite for the longest time now, after leaving PStart. Now I am looking for a launcher that lets me enter notes about an application and be able to search for it. ASuite let's you enter description and notes, but only searches in the app name. I tried all the launchers in the database but none fit my requirement. I even tried .Net -based launchers like SyMenu, but sadly that searches in the app name as well.
We've been debating adding in searchable notes and allowing search on the app descriptions to the PortableApps.com Platform for a while now but only a couple users expressed interest. The code for most of it is already done, just unused. If there is interest, I can add it in.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

JohnTHaller wrote:We've been debating adding in searchable notes and allowing search on the app descriptions to the PortableApps.com Platform for a while now but only a couple users expressed interest. The code for most of it is already done, just unused. If there is interest, I can add it in.
IMHO, I think you should -- if you build it, they'll come... ;)

vagabond

#9 Post by vagabond »

JohnTHaller wrote:Keep in mind that this isn't a true portablization launcher like JauntPE, WinPenPack or PortableApps.com's are. It's just a way to package software to work with the illegal LiberKey suite. It won't work on its own.
As usual John, when LiberKey appears somewhere, you're there!
Yes it is a true portabilization. And it has nothing to do with a way to package software.

The way LiberKey portabilize apps is different from yours. The main part of the code is always the same, that's why we made LiberKey Portabilizer. To portabilize an app, all instructions can be inserted in a XML/Script file. Most of time the XML part contains all needed info to run an app in a portable way.
And all apps can share the same LiberKeyPortabilizer.exe (inside or outside our platform..). This way, when a bug is found we can correct it for all apps.

And please.. Stop your smear campaign against LiberKey.
You're the only one saying that LiberKey is illegal.
LiberKey has never had a problem with software editors.. except you !
The reason is that our menu is far better than yours and we have taken a part of your users.
You see us as a real competitor. Thank you for your interest, but please, stop boring us with your lies..

procyon

#10 Post by procyon »

First of all, sorry to continue the Off Topic
JohnTHaller wrote:
procyon wrote:Oh, i just browsed their english forum and i found this: LiberKey Portabilizer Documentation ... :?:
Keep in mind that this isn't a true portablization launcher like JauntPE, WinPenPack or PortableApps.com's are. It's just a way to package software to work with the illegal LiberKey suite. It won't work on its own.
What are you talking about ? Did you test it ?
"True portabilization" ? Despite your great work at portableapps.com , you don't define (for me) which is the portabilization or which is not. "Keep in mind", that are "your guidelines", not mine :wink:

I try and i use several ways to "portabilize" applications that i use which are not natively portable or not stealth enough: Portableapps.com launcher, X-Launcher (winpenpack), JauntPE, yaP (tproli) and even Cameyo and some others.

I'm currently reading the LiberKey Portabilizer Documentation and i'm pleasantly surprised. Now, i know that i have another way to portabilize applications that i use.
Doesn't mean that i will stop to use others. It's a new alternative (1.) and it is the most important, again ... for me.

JohnTHaller

#11 Post by JohnTHaller »

procyon wrote:I try and i use several ways to "portabilize" applications that i use which are not natively portable or not stealth enough: Portableapps.com launcher, X-Launcher (winpenpack), JauntPE, yaP (tproli) and even Cameyo and some others.
Ah, apologies. When I'd looked at the docs months ago, it seemed it was tied to the platform. It does still seem to be from the docs looking at them now, though.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

And please.. Stop your smear campaign against LiberKey.
You're the only one saying that LiberKey is illegal.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 7b0#p52016

UGMFree

#13 Post by UGMFree »

I know that this topic is quite old but starting from yesterday SyMenu is able to search among description too.
You can specify more than one word or portion of word, the search engine works in AND mode.
You can choose your default search mode (only program name, program name and description) and even change the mode for a single search session with F3 key.

3D1T0R

#14 Post by 3D1T0R »

FYI, the PortableApps.com Platform is also able to search within app descriptions (has since version 12.0 Beta 4.4 back in 2014), however the contents of an app's description is only editable by manually altering it's appinfo.ini file, which gets overwritten upon updating the app, so it still wouldn't really work for what Andrew originally asked for.

I really do like the idea of this feature though, so hopefully someday PA.c will get it too.

UGMFree

#15 Post by UGMFree »

Thanks for your information.
SyMenu fills the item description with the default program one but you are free to change it in any way you like.
Your modified description will be never altered, not even after a program update.