Went back and did some more extensive testing and I really like this program. Short version
Greatly simplifies the process of backing up flash drive files with lots of nice options. Other backup programs here on the site have a ton of options and features -- what sets this apart is its simplicity: plug in and walk away.Slideshow Screencaps .PNG
(for Opera and Mozilla browsers) and .GIF
for all othersTarget audiences
Features of note
- Portable software users who use their key drives frequently and want to backup their settings and programs. This will only copy what changed since the last time the drive was connected.
- High end computing (Photoshop/Autocad/3D authors) who have access a high end/cluster computer at work and want to save to their slow computer at home.
- People who have a huge hard drive but a small flash drive and want to keep one from filling up (would just delete everything on flash drive after copy)
- Will copy based on the unique drive serial number so every drive gets its own settings
- File inclusions and exclusions by file extension (including broad categories of video, audio, docs)
- Option to overwrite old files (to mirror) or keep copy of old files option (keep multiple versions of modified files).
- Can modify how often the program checks for removable media (every 5 seconds) as well as checks after a successful copy (by default set for 1 hour)
- Very customizable speed settings
- Auto-copy controls by drive by profile - right now, you can't set it to copy when you insert the drive depending on what you plug in. Only works by drive letter.
- Mirror option (delete files not on the flash drive). Most users wouldn't need this.
- Right now, the program will copy over the directory structure even if you only want to copy over a few file types. Should only copy over folders that have the file types you want in them. (e.g. if you set the program to copy pictures and only have any picture files in f:\pictures\, it should ignore the other directories).
- The auto-copy function of the registered version could be used for nefarious purposes by setting all drives attached to the system to automatically copy their contents over to the main drive. However, a reasonably savvy attacker wouldn't need this tool to accomplish that if they can compromise a machine. Still, I'm glad the author has made that option only available to folks who purchase the program.
: reasonably resource friendly, using only 2.7 megs of RAM.