Correct animated GIF speed

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
webfork

Correct animated GIF speed

#1 Post by webfork »

This may be one of those places where you're never going to please everyone but I thought I'd poll the forums anyhow:
  1. Static images don't give much idea of what the program does. Complex and detailed programs really benefit from more than one screencap.
  2. Animations that move too slow won't be seen by visitors. They'll look at the first frame and close the window, not knowing to wait.
  3. Those that move too fast have gotten complaints. Note that GIF animations can be manually slowed/stopped with PhotoScape.
For reference, the current ResophNotes entry is set to 2.7 seconds per image.

Its also possible for me to generate Flash files that have a forward-backward button and use those. We also might entreat Andrew to do the screencap system like Softpedia: with its own sub-page of multiple static images.

Thoughts?

Checker

Re: Correct animated GIF speed

#2 Post by Checker »

webfork wrote:... Animations that move too slow won't be seen by visitors. They'll look at the first frame and close the window, not knowing to wait. ...
How about a little checkbox at the editor, we can tick if we insert a .gif animation? At the main page it could show up as "screenshot (animation)"

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

That @Loner user has nothing but time on their hands to moan about everything that is wrong with the DB entries.

Loner if you're reading this ... we work for free, so if you don't like it, either fix it yourself or find another site, because quite frankly your criticism isn't constructive in anyway, it's just criticism. If this was a one off comment by you then fine, but countless times you're complaining about the screenshots not being to 'your standard,' so if you're a Photoshop Pro, prove it!

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:
  1. Animations that move too slow won't be seen by visitors. They'll look at the first frame and close the window, not knowing to wait.
  2. Those that move too fast have gotten complaints. Note that GIF animations can be manually slowed/stopped with PhotoScape.
Beforehand, I must declare that I'm not too fond of them fast switching animations. IMHO, if the first screenshot in them is the most significant, no matter what the interval is in case 1. (I believe it must be around 5 secs minimum to allow for full reading of a common app interface) then it isn't really a problem -- it's just the penalty users with short attention spans must surely be willing to pay. Stopping animations with Photoscape is a non solution, since 99% of user checking an application screenshot won't ever do it, even if you posted instructions to that effect by the screencap.
webfork wrote:Its also possible for me to generate Flash files that have a forward-backward button and use those. We also might entreat Andrew to do the screencap system like Softpedia: with its own sub-page of multiple static images.
Anyone of those whould be a better solution -- especially if those you could span a screenshot sized browser window with appropriate next previous buttons. It would be even better if you could do that in an overlay, a la Freeware Genius...

And regarding criticism: its merit always dwindles when we find ourselves at the receiving end... :wink:

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Checker wrote:
webfork wrote:... Animations that move too slow won't be seen by visitors. They'll look at the first frame and close the window, not knowing to wait. ...
How about a little checkbox at the editor, we can tick if we insert a .gif animation? At the main page it could show up as "screenshot (animation)"
Good idea. Then a 5 second (or whatever) slide show would work fine.
Midas wrote:Beforehand, I must declare that I'm not too fond of them fast switching animations. IMHO, if the first screenshot in them is the most significant, no matter what the interval is in case 1. (I believe it must be around 5 secs minimum to allow for full reading of a common app interface) then it isn't really a problem -- it's just the penalty users with short attention spans must surely be willing to pay.
The analysis is usually that quick moving animations like that are just a taste and if you want more you should go to the website. We're not the authors and shouldn't try to be. However, in the case of ResophNotes, there's not much of a screenshot selection on the home page so the expectation is a little higher.
Midas wrote:Stopping animations with Photoscape is a non solution, since 99% of user checking an application screenshot won't ever do it, even if you posted instructions to that effect by the screencap.
Well said.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

I found the screenshot for ResophNotes slow not fast, but as webfork said they're to give you a taste, if you want more download the application.

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Looks like something that won't be too difficult to implement. I will get it done as soon as I can.

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

Andrew Lee wrote:
Looks like something that won't be too difficult to implement. I will get it done as soon as I can.
Could you add a "Loner" detector too? Here's how it should work:

When they click a link to view an annimated screencast, the slide's speed should change to every 10 sec. :lol:

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

Please see this post for the most recent updates.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Quite by accident, I didn't realize this topic has actually already been covered to some extent about 1.5 years ago. Sorry for any duplication of effort.

Anyway, going forward I'll probably create screenshots with 4-5 second frames since Andrew added the animation icon. EDIT: I actually settled on 2.7 seconds between frames unless they were low complexity, where I used 2.3 seconds.

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

webfork wrote:Quite by accident, I didn't realize this topic has actually already been covered to some extent about 1.5 years ago. Sorry for any duplication of effort.

Anyway, going forward I'll probably create screenshots with 4-5 second frames since Andrew added the animation icon.
Oh, I remember that thread but didn't realise it was about the same database entry. What I find weird is I'm still saying exactly the same as I did 1.5 years ago.