CubicExplorer - customizable file manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
KRUSAV

CubicExplorer - customizable file manager

#1 Post by KRUSAV »

[Moderator note: this is the primary CubicExplorer program thread. View database entry]

----

http://www.cubicreality.com/

Don't know if this is a true portable file manager or not. I'm not good with checking reg stuff to say for sure. It does have two configuration settings (ini) in it's folder.

could I get this checked pweese ;)

dasfx

#2 Post by dasfx »

Yarg...
SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH
There's a little box on the top right hand corner of the homepage. Use it.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=Cubi ... r&m=Search

Midas

Cubic Explorer

#3 Post by Midas »

Came across this Explorer like app that has a portable version (untested).
http://www.cubicreality.com/ce/ wrote:CubicExplorer is a file manager aimed for basic and advanced users. Its key features are tabs and bookmarks. It also has sessions, filtering, file previews, search and many more features. First version was released in 2006 and it remains to be under active development. Currently it’s a Windows only application but there are plans for cross-platform support. CubicExplorer is a free and open source application developed with Delphi.

More screens & info on settings at the download page: http://www.cubicreality.com/ce/download/

I am Baas

Re: Cubic Explorer

#4 Post by I am Baas »

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Dang, my search didn't return that result... :oops:

Thanks for pointing it out.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:
Dang, my search didn't return that result... :oops:

Thanks for pointing it out.
We actually didn't have a forum post for this anyway so now we do, which is good.

Additionally, this experience inspired me to try it out again after several related file managers have failed to replace Explorer. On Win 7, the "update" to the file explorer seriously annoys me, so I went back to this program and so far very pleased. It makes up for fewer features with elegance and an ability to switch to various different states.

Will definitely be sending the developer some feature requests, but its already made my machine much more usable.

Will add a note to the entry about register/unregister as the default Explorer tool.

Edit: the program is now open source under the Mozilla Public License. Great news.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:
webfork wrote:We actually didn't have a forum post for this anyway so now we do, which is good.
Oh wait -- yeah we did. Merging...

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

There hasn't been a single update for more than 3 years and since the developer no longer answers to questions in the CubicExplorer forum I suppose that CubicExplorer is an abandoned project.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:I suppose that CubicExplorer is an abandoned project.
This program is extremely useful to me so I've been in touch with him. He's not done but it's true there are no planned updates. As he opened the code a while back, I might try to sponsor a fork with his blessing. I was waiting for some important incompatibility to come up to make any kind of moves on that.

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Great news. I like CubicExplorer, but the lack of updates was not an incentive to give it more use... 8)

bawldiggle

#11 Post by bawldiggle »

Best File Manager I have used, and I have tried them all, even commercial file managers.
- and shelled out for some expensive toys that require a degree in rocket science to use them
CE developer web-page has gone :cry: along with his wiki page, but "CubicExplorer" (portable lives on) from major sources

If you want bells and whistles, forget "CubicExplorer"
- I like it because it is simple ...
1. CE has a small UI suitable for laptops
2. a drives toolbar
3. tabs instead of multi panes
4. very clean sharp "Chrome" (by default) theme -- there are several other themes included in the ZIP download
5. Customization -- almost every part of the UI can be moved, modified, hidden to any taste
6. well thought out design including intelligent out-of-the-way Options -settings
7. Favorites that work, including custom grouping of favorites
8. Automatic Session history -- particularly handy for external drives when I forget to connect those drives

It does have a few v.obscure bugs, but what app doesn't ?
- CubicExplorer fulfills my needs perfectly
- and I kept a spare-copy of the portable download for future use

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

bawldiggle wrote:Best File Manager I have used ... developer web-page has gone along with his wiki page, but "CubicExplorer" (portable lives on) from major sources
Very sad news -- far and away my favorite file manager. I've updated the entry to reflect this. Thanks for the notice.

smaragdus

Re: CubicExplorer

#13 Post by smaragdus »

Actually I never used CubicExplorer because I need at least two panes but it is really sad that its web-site is gone- it was very a popular file manager. This is not very surprising- CubicExplorer had been abandoned long before the web-site was gone. However the developer never announced it officially. I hope that one day CubicExplorer would be resurrected but this is very unlikely.

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

Last I heard of this dev, he was apparently having some personal problems. Here's hoping his problems went away with the site... :?

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Last I heard of this dev, he was apparently having some personal problems. Here's hoping his problems went away with the site... :?
Yeah me too.
smaragdus wrote:I hope that one day CubicExplorer would be resurrected but this is very unlikely.
True. It is open so I might try to sponsor someone taking up the mantle of maintaining this.