DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

Re: DropIt

#841 Post by Lupo73 »

vmars316 wrote:I took the SendTo option, and replaced "." with "_".
Like this: %ParentDir%\%FileName%_%FileExt%

Thank you very much!...vm
It seems you found a good solution to sort your files.. one of these weeks I'd like to update DropIt website adding some How-To articles to describe the most common features and uses..
Midas wrote:Overall, I'm left feeling the options are poorly documented...
Have you read the pdf Guide included in the package? If you report me what info you would like to have, I can consider to improve the Guide..
tproli wrote:An idea to the devs: how about modifying the Special Abbreviations dialog to show the actual user directories?
I think it's a good idea, even if it is obviously not possible for all special abbreviations.. I'll add it where possible in next release..
Midas wrote:'Options' should contain only global program options; 'profiles' and 'associations' should share the same configuration dialog (and menu/shortcuts paths), with casual reminders of global options that may impact them. There should be a 'test' button, for one to be able to see what the outcome of a selected profile/associations would be (without actually performing the actions). Would this be too demanding?
I don't exactly understand your idea, even if a major software restyling essentially means to rewrite it at all.. and I think current solution is not a bad, you can see:
1. associations as the elementary component of DropIt,
2. profiles as groups of associations,
3. options as the set of global configurations that all programs have.

The plan now is an improvement release with new features and fixes. Then we could discuss how to design the future of DropIt, maybe considering to totally rewrite it as a new software with a new interface, support to load all files before process, multiple actions and more.

Midas

#842 Post by Midas »

Lupo73 wrote:
Midas wrote:Overall, I'm left feeling the options are poorly documented...
Have you read the pdf Guide included in the package? If you report me what info you would like to have, I can consider to improve the Guide...
Midas wrote:I already RTFM
There are some poorly documented options; for instance, tooltips show in the program interface for some, but not for all...
Lupo73 wrote:
Midas wrote:'Options' should contain only global program options; 'profiles' and 'associations' should share the same configuration dialog (and menu/shortcuts paths), with casual reminders of global options that may impact them. There should be a 'test' button, for one to be able to see what the outcome of a selected profile/associations would be (without actually performing the actions). Would this be too demanding?
I don't exactly understand your idea, even if a major software restyling essentially means to rewrite it at all.. and I think current solution is not a bad, you can see:
1. associations as the elementary component of DropIt,
2. profiles as groups of associations,
3. options as the set of global configurations that all programs have.

The plan now is an improvement release with new features and fixes. Then we could discuss how to design the future of DropIt, maybe considering to totally rewrite it as a new software with a new interface, support to load all files before process, multiple actions and more.
I see. The logic of that arrangement I gathered from reading the documentation -- which BTW is always the first thing I do whenever I get into trouble. Please excuse me if my humble suggestions don't fit into your development road-map. I didn't mean to belittle your generous and most laudable work.

But this is not the first time I tried DropIt and I've come away frustrated every time. What I offered here was a candid account of my experience coupled with a few well-meant suggestions. Others will surely disagree, as yours is a rather popular utility. Nonetheless, I was unable to make DropIt do my bidding. When things don't work, some information should be available to allow the user to solve or circumvent the issue, don't you think? I'm not dumb and, although I'm not a developer, I've had many years of successful use of computers, well beyond their mere out-of-the-box status. Having stated this, I ask you please disregard anything I say if you find it inconvenient... :oops:

Lupo73

#843 Post by Lupo73 »

Don't worry, I'm not angry.. :wink: I only ask you more info to understand what aspects are not well documented and to know where improve them.. and even if the complete restyling cannot be performed now, you could report me possible minor changes to improve and simplify current solution..

Midas

#844 Post by Midas »

Lupo73 wrote:... even if the complete restyling cannot be performed now, you could report me possible minor changes to improve and simplify current solution..
Will do, as I make further tests... 8)

Would you care to comment on what I tried above: is it not possible or was it wrongly configured?

LeonardB

#845 Post by LeonardB »

If I have a folder destination setup: %ParentDir%\%DateModified%, is there a way to filter the result so it creates a directory only with the associated year (i.e. removing the month & day)? This solution would prove invaluable if it can be done. Currently, I use "File Sieve" to accomplish this but it is not a drag&drop solution.

Lupo73

#846 Post by Lupo73 »

@Midas: it may works, but you could test some alternatives to verify where it doesn't work.. you could use "%PortableDrive%\Store\!Incoming" as destination (to be relative to the drive root) or try to monitor "%Desktop%" instead of "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" (because maybe there is a problem loading %USERPROFILE%)..

@LeonardB: in current development version I added several new abbreviations, in particular: separated year, month, day and time for all dates (created, modified, accessed, current).. it will be much more flexible :wink:

Mic

How to save the parent folders of the copied files?

#847 Post by Mic »

How to save the parent folders of the copied files?

In the Windows' explorer it's simply - just select files and folders - and drag'n'drop it where you need. And all the structures they are the same.

With "Dropit" something strange:

1. You select the folder with the files inside of it.

2. Then you copy the folder using "Dropit".

3. But in the destination folder all the files are without their folders. Why?

4. Can be used %ParentDirName% parameter, but using it there is something another - all the files will be with their parent folders, even if you are only selected the files, not folders.

5. So, how to make it like in the Windows explorer: Files, selected without the folders - they are copied without the folders; and folders, which are copied saved in the destination folder as parent folders for the files inside.

Midas

#848 Post by Midas »

Lupo73 wrote:@Midas: it may works, but you could test some alternatives to verify where it doesn't work.. you could use "%PortableDrive%\Store\!Incoming" as destination (to be relative to the drive root) or try to monitor "%Desktop%" instead of "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" (because maybe there is a problem loading %USERPROFILE%)...
Thanks. Will do.

Lupo73

#849 Post by Lupo73 »

@Mic: you simply need to "Enable associations for folders" in DropIt Options (Sorting tab), because by default files are sorted individually.. I recommend you to read the Guide pdf for more info..

In these days I'm working to release a new Lupo PenSuite version, given that the last version is a year old.. so I decided to link you the last test version of DropIt (even if it is not complete), to try new features:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... e_Test.zip

Known issues:
- DropIt crashes if it is shown the Select Action window for a file loaded from SendTo menu
- /Refresh seems to have problems (I'm waiting dragonmage report to fix it)
- "Overwrite if different size" method to manage duplicates does not work for folders with Upload action
- "Overwrite if newer" method to manage duplicates does not work correctly with Upload (SFTP) action
- in general Upload action needs to be widely tested and completed

Mic

#850 Post by Mic »

Lupo73 wrote:@Mic: you simply need to "Enable associations for folders" in DropIt Options (Sorting tab), because by default files are sorted individually.. I recommend you to read the Guide pdf for more info..
It was necessary also to add an entry ** for rules. Now it works, thank you!

Where it possible to find the full commands' list for "Dropit"?

Or can you say, what does it mean, these parameters: %P%S

Midas

#851 Post by Midas »

Still no luck -- after changes, DropIt still isn't picking archives out of my Desktop by itself... :(

Lupo73

#852 Post by Lupo73 »

@Mic: the command line parameters are listed at the end of the Guide pdf.. instead all supported special abbreviations (environment variables) are listed in the related window (from the button next to Destination).. where do you have found %P%S parameters?

@Midas: If you could send me with a private message (or by email) your settings.ini file and your profiles, I can test them to understand what could cause the problem..

Mic

#853 Post by Mic »

@Lupo73:

It's from there: http://forum.wincmd.ru/viewpost.php?p=9 ... 099d25f8a6

Maybe it's about Total Commander's.. not "Dropit". The topic is about TC, how to make a button for TC, which allows to sort files automatically and got advice about this program (and need to say - very useful program, definitely :) )

Lupo73

#854 Post by Lupo73 »

Yes, they are TC parameters.. that are probably converted in paths before send them to DropIt..

I forgot to report changes of current test version:
- improved interface
- added profile option to manage duplicates
- added message during uninstalling to decide if remove settings
- added several date and time special abbreviations
- added Upload action (FTP and SFTP protocols)
- fixed %DateTaken% special abbreviation
- fixed minor bugs

Tests are welcome :wink:

Lupo73

#855 Post by Lupo73 »

I'd like to add more special abbreviations in next release to extend sorting features, so I'd like to know what you would like to use.. e.g. more date abbreviations (week number, month name, etc.) or other file properties..