Help with JauntePE

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
JohnHolland

Help with JauntePE

#1 Post by JohnHolland »

Would someone be so kind to assist me with JauntePE. I have been following the interesting development here on the forum, but cannot get JauntePE to work. I am just following the menus, and eventually a programportable.exe file is created in a standalone manner, but upon trying to execute it, nothing happens. except receiving an error beep. I have tried to apply it to different programs, but nothing works. What could i be doing wrong? Thanks for your kind assistance,
cheers,
JH

Firewrath

#2 Post by Firewrath »

you have to put the "jauntePE.dll" and "madCHook.dll" into the same directory as the "program_portable.exe" you made,

you can change the directory you want to keep the stuff in as one of the options, one of the first 1-3/4 or so, cant remember off hand,

...but id try to get it working first before messing with that, :P

JohnHolland

#3 Post by JohnHolland »

thanks Firewrath for your reply. I was not aware of the need to put these dll files there. After doing so, and starting the program_portable.exe , a local registry file is generated, but the particular program itself is not started. I still get this error beep. Is that just due to the fact that JauntePE does not work on all programs? Would it also work on programs that have been installed with a serialnumber or other license key? Is the serial or license key automatically included into the local registry? I do appreciate your help here if you have the time. thanks,
cheers,
JH

Firewrath

#4 Post by Firewrath »

error boxs would help so much, eh? :P

oook, lets see here,
id think itd be tied to the key,
the key is kept in your registry and not generated with the .reg file when you run the portable.exe,

...kinda odd though that its happening since it sposed to check your normal registry after the file, *shrugs*

Try this:

use the JPE launcher,
add the program to the list,
disable the registy/file redirects,

then launch the program and see what happens,
if it works,
add either one of the redirects and try again,
if it works, add both,
if it Still works,

make a new portable.exe and try what i said above,
then tell me which one is messing it up,

you might also try a new install through JPE,
though JPE doesnt handle some installs very well, =/

but getting all the registry entries and .dlls / files in folders so you can test it will help,

if you do a new install with JPE, test it in your Base file directory,
like "C:"
not on the desktop, as that double the file redirections, and will be a little annoying, :P

IE:
install it through JPE, enter keys, etc,
then move it to "C:" and build a new portable.exe in the new install dir and try running it,

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Is it possible to change border color not via the GUI mode?

I see the option on JauntePE_launchPad.ini for border color:
[Redirection]
InnerColor=
OuterColor=

But I was only able to change the border color via GUI which use JauntePE_launchPad.ini as the setting.
I'm looking for fast method to run application with changed border color (not convenient to run JauntePE and click the icon each time to run a program, in order to get changed border color). Perhaps cmdLine syntax for the border color or syntax that runs application using JauntePE_launchPad.ini as setting?

Regards,
Chris

Firewrath

#6 Post by Firewrath »

Actually,
i havnt the slightest idea how to change the color,
if you read the last page or so on the main JPE thread, i explain in there how it uses .inis already, even the portable built .exes,

but from the few test ive done so far, i cant seem to get the colors to change, =/

ill try and fool with it some more next week here when i get time,

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Hello Firewrath,

Thanks for your guide, I tried to put [Redirection] in ini file for the portable exe, but no luck too. I was thinking perhaps using hex editor might work, because perhaps the black and red colors are embedded.

Also I read that you use USB in unusual way. If you don't mind, would you tell me what it would be? Actualy, I'm interested in EWF from Windows XP Embedded, and I was wondering maybe your unusual way of using USB would improve EWF performance, like JauntePE.
Thank you.

Yours,
Chris

Edit: I tried to search the related hex and decimal color code using hex editor within the portable .exe but no luck. Just in case, the original colors' (red and black) codes are:
[Redirection]
InnerColor=2105376
OuterColor=2105599
For testing: put above value into JauntePE_launchPad.ini then start and close JauntePE.exe, those values will be gone from JauntePE_launchPad.ini.

Firewrath

#8 Post by Firewrath »

sorry its taken me awhile to reply, one of the guys here at work ran off to Tennessee and im filling in, >.<

im curious, which version of JPE are you using?
...err, since there wasnt really a version number, just, what date was the JPE exe/dll created?

and the 'odd' way i use JPE, is that i have a portable_pstart.exe with all my programs on it, and launching them through pstart, makes whatever program i use JPE-portable,
its alittle slow, with a 5-15sec or more launching delay,
but beats building a portable exe for like 300 programs,

anyways,
that EWF thing you want to do sounds interesting,
but im not sure if it would work,
it looks to operate pretty deeply in the system, and might even be system reliant,
(Does it even have an .exe? O_o)
i also think it would need registry access to work, so a portable registry might make it lose its over 'power',
im not saying to give up and not try it, just saying dont be surprised if it doesnt work, :P
i think itd be pretty cool if it did,

But, mind, i dont have XP-E at all, so i havnt the slightest idea about all that,
im only going by some of the info i picked up off the site,

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

Believe it or not, I also do almost like what you do with JauntePE, but I run it using Windows Explorer Replacement. Like you already knew, each time I start an apps using that "WER" the apps or the child process would be portable, unfortunately some apps just won't run properly this way.

I had a feeling you would be interested in EWF. ^_^
Since this thread is about JauntePE, I will send you PM regarding the EWF.