SoftwareOK updates

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
I am Baas

SoftwareOK updates

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Anyone else is annoyed by the frequent updates and the banal descriptions?
•Updating the language files and small adjustments
•General optimization
•Small fixes
•Small changes and some improvements
•Updating the language files
•New language: ........

romulous

Re: SoftwareOK updates

#2 Post by romulous »

FWIW, I am too. I've been wondering if it is a case of the author trying to keep his programs towards the top of sites like TPFC (in an effort to drive traffic to his website I mean). Maybe I am a bit too cynical (the updates may be genuine), but (and I can't recall what program it was now) there was another program on this site a while back that simply bumped the version number without making any changes each day, so it continually got posted to the front page. So there is a precedent for this behaviour.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

I think you're talking about PEStudio but their update yesterday was massive so it was justified this time.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:I think you're talking about PEStudio but their update yesterday was massive so it was justified this time.
No, it was MuseTips Text Filter. But back to SoftwareOK... look at this changelog, the last 10 updates include this standard "New language: Small adjustments". And it's the same for other titles. WTF.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Maybe it's done for some other sites. TPFC already addressed this mal-behavior. So it shouldn't matter for us. But it's good to be noted.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

I am Baas wrote:
guinness wrote:I think you're talking about PEStudio but their update yesterday was massive so it was justified this time.
No, it was MuseTips Text Filter. But back to SoftwareOK... look at this changelog, the last 10 updates include this standard "New language: Small adjustments". And it's the same for other titles. WTF.
OK, thanks. Never used this application.

romulous

#7 Post by romulous »

I am Baas wrote:No, it was MuseTips Text Filter.
Yes, that's the one I was trying to think of!
But back to SoftwareOK... look at this changelog, the last 10 updates include this standard "New language: Small adjustments". And it's the same for other titles. WTF.
Maybe if the changelog only says 'language adjustments' (and nothing else), we shouldn't bother to post an update notification here?

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

I don't think we should be questioning the developer but more so our code of practice for updating an entry.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:
No, it was MuseTips Text Filter
Yes, that program updates VERY frequently.
guinness wrote:I don't think we should be questioning the developer but more so our code of practice for updating an entry.
Absolutely. This has been discussed at length in the Too Many Updates thread and the resulting poll. Should we modify the current algorithm?

SYSTEM

#10 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:
guinness wrote:I don't think we should be questioning the developer but more so our code of practice for updating an entry.
Absolutely. This has been discussed at length in the Too Many Updates thread and the resulting poll. Should we modify the current algorithm?
My opinion here hasn't changed. See my old post: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 686#p28686
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

Guys, re-read OP. I was referring to the language used to describe the updates more then anything else. The changelog is repeated too often and is vague. I find it annoying.

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

I thought you were talking about the frequency as well not just the vagueness.

I am Baas

#13 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:I thought you were talking about the frequency as well not just the vagueness.
I tried to better explain it by using the changelog example in the other post. Anyways, here's another one:
Small adjustments
Improvements in the PointerStick
What if I am happy with my stick, do I need to update? :roll:

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

I am Baas wrote:What if I am happy with my stick, do I need to update? :roll:
Not at all it's at your discretion whether or not you update and you know if a 'language update' is useful or not to you.

I personally look at it differently, he's providing useful software for FREE and at no cost additional cost to the end user, so we should at least be grateful for that. This is not a business for him and is done as a pure hobby, so it's to be expected that prioritising the application code rather than the documentation is going to happen. By the way documentation writing is a developers nightmare!

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

OTOH, typo correction doesn't seem the right reason to feature some app as updated...