TPFC down for the whole of yesterday

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Flapadar

Re: TPFC down for the whole of yesterday

#31 Post by Flapadar »

Andrew Lee wrote:WRT uberspace, being all German makes it difficult for me to evaluate anything, so I will skip.

But I did stumble across another German-based provider:

http://fanaticalvps.com/

which seems to have pretty good reviews. Their servers are based in Germany though, so I am not sure how much impact that will have on their latency for non-European users.

Only $10/mth for the basic package, and accepts PayPal.
Thanks for the recommendation. You can test latency at de.speedtest.fanaticalvps.com (speedtest file). In the case of malicious software (viruses, etc) when we receive reports of it, we give clients notification and time to remove it before taking action.

If you/anyone else has any questions, feel free to fire us an email ( hello@fanaticalvps.com ) or create a sales ticket at http://fanaticalvps.com/ :)

Andrew Lee

#32 Post by Andrew Lee »

This just in:
03/05/2012 11:19 AM EST

Hello,

I've had a chance to review your support ticket and I can certainly understand your concerns. While I can assure you that we do our best to verify any claim of abuse against our network or the users within it, I do not know that we have a policy for complaints coming from clean-mx.de.

I am going to forward your concerns to a member of the management team for our Network Operations department, which is the department that is largely responsible for the suspensions on our network. They will review the situation and ff any change comes as a result, I will be sure to let you know.

Thank you,
Dan Gorman
Technical Support Manager

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

I've had a chance to review your support ticket and I can certainly understand your concerns. While I can assure you that we do our best to verify any claim of abuse against our network or the users within it, I do not know that we have a policy for complaints coming from clean-mx.de.

I am going to forward your concerns to a member of the management team for our Network Operations department, which is the department that is largely responsible for the suspensions on our network. They will review the situation and ff any change comes as a result, I will be sure to let you know.
That's encouraging, but what I'd like to hear from Dan is is a clear policy to handle issues before getting the lights turned off. If freeware developer Nirsoft is any indication, false-positive reporting isn't going away anytime soon and there's no way to police the site to avoid that without annoying both current and new users:
  • Developer: I just wrote a program/tweak! Its great!
    Us: Yeah you have to register with [virus-checking hosting service] or we can't link to you.
How many people are actually going to go through with that?
Last edited by webfork on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)

Hydaral

#34 Post by Hydaral »

This seems to be a glimpse into what life would be like if SOPA had passed.

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

Hydaral wrote:This seems to be a glimpse into what life would be like if SOPA had passed.
Yep! I'm afraid this will happen with increasing frequency even though we managed to stop the stoopid thing... :(

Andrew Lee

#36 Post by Andrew Lee »

Something of interest sent by NickR via PM:

http://cryptomeorg.siteprotect.net/cryptome-shut.htm

Andrew Lee

#37 Post by Andrew Lee »

Ticket is now marked as "Resolved" after this final message:
Hello,

I have not received an update from our Network Operations team but we are actively assessing and modifying our SPAM policies as is necessary.

If you have any trouble in the future, please feel free to reach out to me directly by replying to this message.

Thank you,
Dan Gorman
Technical Support Manager
VPS Link

guinness

#38 Post by guinness »

I wouldn't call that resolved, but what do I know!

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

Not to charge the issue more than it already is, but this is a matter of current debate, with far broader implications than those apparent at first. I'd recommend the recent Consent of the networked by Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet and Society ex-fellow and current Global Network Initiative director Rebecca MacKinnon (also available as ebook). As most are always short of time, browsing through the reviews of the work will prove fruitful, IMHO: http://consentofthenetworked.com/reviews/

Andrew Lee

#40 Post by Andrew Lee »

I am definitely going to move away from VPSLink given their response, but I've a lack of time now, so it will be a little later on.

Whoever the new hoster may be, I will confirm with them that their policy for dealing with malware reports will not be as high-handed as VPSLink. I hope I can find one.

I mean, even giving time to deal with the issue isn't good enough. If the report turns out to be a false positive, the hoster needs to be able to accept the evidence instead of bone-headly insisting on us taking down the link!

Andrew Lee

#41 Post by Andrew Lee »

@Midas: Thanks for the book recommendation. Will see if I can find it from the local library. From the reviews, this seems to be real and scary stuff. SOPA and PIPA is just the beginning...

carbonize

#42 Post by carbonize »

OK Paul O'Brien has had hist site reported to his hosts by a German company just like this site was. He was talking about it on Twitter.
Has anyone ever had any dealings with 'cyscon.de'? They're kinda pissing me off a bit at the moment…
They reported me to abuse@ my hosting provider because i'm hosting Visionary, which is 'malicious' in their opinion from their scans?
It's a app, using an exploit to perform a clear function it describes and not malicious at all....
Not to mention it's my app, on my server that I'm renting solely for my own use so how about you mind your own business!!!

gavind

#43 Post by gavind »

Is there also a possible chance that an email notification could be sent out once this happens again? Image