Trillian Astra and Trillian 5 - multi-network IM

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
drezha

Trillian Help

#1 Post by drezha »

Firstly, congrats to the owner! This site is something I've been looking for, for ages!

Anyhow, down to business...

I tried to do the Trillian install thing, follwoing the instructions exactly.
But every time I load it up, it changes my preferences.
I dont want logging enabled, I want my wrting as I set it and want my icon to stay as I set it and Trillian not to log my convo's...

Is there a way of doing this as well as keeping it portable?

MiDoJo

Trillian 3.1.10

#2 Post by MiDoJo »

Please Update the Trillian Program. Please also see my comment which I'll repost here. Sorry for posting it there, I'm not used to being a forum member yet and yadda yadda.
me in comments section wrote:Upgrade (via loading trillian and auto-update feature) to 3.1.10 (may 2008) unsuccessful. Had to manually reinstall and re portable it. Successfully did so (Copied entire directory to portable trillian folder and replaced all but kept read-only files. Seems to be running fine. Trillian 3.1.10 ready for use.
PFC might want to reshoot it again to make sure
This upgrade fixes the following insecurities:
Secunia Security Release wrote:1) A boundary error within the header parsing code for the MSN protocol can be exploited to cause a stack-based buffer overflow via a specially crafted X-MMS-IM-FORMAT header with an overly long attribute.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

2) An error within the XML parsing in talk.dll can be exploited to cause a memory corruption via certain malformed attributes within an 'IMG' tag.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

3) A boundary error when parsing messages (e.g. via the AIM network) with overly long attribute values within the FONT tag can be exploited to cause a stack-based buffer overflow.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code but requires that the user is tricked into opening a malicious image file.

rokth

Trillian Astra and Trillian 5 - multi-network IM

#3 Post by rokth »

See the entry >>>>> here <<<<<<

Basically it's much easier to make Astra and 5 portable compared to the hoopwork of making Trillian 3 portable.

Category: Internet - Instant Messengers (15)
Synopsis: A multiprotocol IM client with supposrt for email, sms, and social media.
Writes settings to: Application folder
How to extract: Download the installer and install to USB drive and deselect making an uninstaller and running at startup.
edit file trillian.ini
set the following line
"Use User Directory=0" under "[General]"
Unicode support: Yes
License: Proprietary EULA
System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP / Vista / Win7

I am Baas

Re: Trillian Astra and Trillian 5

#4 Post by I am Baas »

1. Trillian is in TPFC @ http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=213

2. Your submissions (this and the previous one) are incomplete... Icon missing, screenshot missing, etc.

3. As for this specific submission (Trillian), you failed to mention that the installer comes with Ask toolbar and Opencandy junk.

rokth

#5 Post by rokth »

I am Baas wrote: 3. As for this specific submission (Trillian), you failed to mention that the installer comes with Ask toolbar and Opencandy junk.
Last I checked, that junk was optional. And is a screenshot and icon really needed? I'll have an icon and screen cap dumped just for you by sunday.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

rokth wrote:Last I checked, that junk was optional. And is a screenshot and icon really needed? I'll have an icon and screen cap dumped just for you by sunday.
Baas is not trying to insult you. Its true those are optional but if you'd like your submission to get voted to the live site, those are important aspects. Additionally, if you want someone to actually download and use something once the entry goes live, more information is better.

MiDoJo

#7 Post by MiDoJo »

stealth?

rokth

#8 Post by rokth »

As far as I know the only registry entries left are made if you pack an uninstaller, make a startup entry, or put an icon in the start menu. Or Forget to edit the ini file.

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss »

Just tested version 5.1.0.15 free. There are lots of registry entries, especially in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\IM\Trillian] and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\classes\Trillian.SkinZip], but also in other branches.
However, these are not essential for the software functionality.

The profile is saved in ".\users\trillian.name" folder.

P.S. I'm using JauntePE for this one.

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

Why a new Trillian Astra entry added to TPFC? There is an older entry @ http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=213

The new entry fails to mention that the installer requires admin rights and that it contains offers to install 3rd party junkware too. I could not test it properly (one need to register an account) but I found that in addition to the registry entries and image file mentioned, it also:

1. Stores plugins.ini in AppData\Roaming\Trillian\plugins
2. Saves user data in AppData\Roaming\Trillian\users\global

[Ignore]Trillian Astra should not be in the DB.[/Ignore]

Edit: Just noticed the comment about editing the .ini file. Scratch the AppData remark.

Napiophelios

#11 Post by Napiophelios »

Sorry I tested the new one and just said no by default on the offer so I didnt think to mention.
I just commented on the actual system changes made after executing the extracted application files on a clean system it hadnt been previously ever run on or installed to.
I foolishly operate my from administrator account so I didnt know to mention.
I will say if you dont like the new DB entry tho as opposed to whatever frikkin old one you are refering to
Blame it on Guiness for telling every body to go look in the damn private section cuz I didnt even think to look there till he emplored every one to go vote on the private appps yah
Sheesh ya had an outdated app I tested and ended up liking for the moment dont be such a stickler

Edit: also I didnt get any of those storage folders using my settings yet,however I just downloaded an assload of plugins and extra skins from
http://developer.ceruleanstudios.com/in ... /Main_Page

So who knows...

Also seems klinda sketchy judging from user reviews,but apparently with the new 5.1 builds,if using A SINGLE USER Skype account client,you can use Skype from within Trillian and as a grand celebration are offering true blue all future version build remake WTFevr lifetime licenses for an average of 48 dollars for dedicated previous account holders and around 60 dollars for new accounts
\

\kfu

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

Blame it on Guiness for telling every body to go look in the damn private section cuz I didnt even think to look there till he emplored every one to go vote on the private appps yah
Sheesh ya had an outdated app I tested and ended up liking for the moment dont be such a stickler
Oh I didn't think people would start voting, I did say let me know so I can look at it and then vote accordingly see...
If anyone feels I've missed an application that should be in the main database then let me know.

Napiophelios

#13 Post by Napiophelios »

The path to Hel is paved with good intentions brother.

Checker

#14 Post by Checker »

The Change history says: "Added by Checker" :shock:
But I didn't ... it was added by rokth. The only thing I did was adding the icon.

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

Well, I added a warning about the installer and changed the "Suggested by" field.
dont be such a stickler
OK