Get Plain Text

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Get Plain Text

#1 Post by webfork »

This may have already been mentioned here on the site, but I couldn't find it.

What it does:
You run the program, it kills whatever formatting is on the clipboard. This program is especially remarkable for portable users because it couldn't be simpler or more stealth. In fact, I would actually prefer if there were SOME kind of window indicating activity, but no biggie:
It does not bother you with windows, prompt dialogs, or any other bells and whistles. Get Plain Text does its job silently and keeps you focused on your work. The advantage of this solution is that it does not add an icon to the system tray and does not consume memory when you use it.
(from softpedia)

Homepage:
http://clipdiary.com/getplaintext/

---

Edit: I'm aware some of the AutoIt/AutoHotKey folks here on the site could create this program with duplicate functionality in about 10 minutes with one hand tied behind their back. Which I acknowledge would also be cool.

guinness

Re: Get Plain Text

#2 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable
Last edited by guinness on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:Tested: Portable
Did you run out of green? :wink:

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Yeh, I just went down to the paint store to pick some more up :)

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

Btw, ClipText does the same thing and is only 5.50KB.
Info @ http://fieggen.com/software/cliptext.htm is only

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Btw, ClipText does the same thing and is only 5.50KB.
Info @ http://fieggen.com/software/cliptext.htm is only
Good suggestion. Minimalism on a program like this is ideal.

Also, I like how many versions of Windows it supports: usually indicates it'll work on WINE as well. Did you test it on Win7?

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

webfork wrote:Did you test it on Win7?
The application I am Baas recommended works on Windows 7 too.
Last edited by guinness on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:
webfork wrote:Did you test it on Win7?]
The application I am Baas recommended works on Windows 7 too.
Thanks, guinness. Yes, webfork, it does work on Win 7.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Btw, ClipText does the same thing
I just tested this program and it looks like ClipText just views the clipboard. (Tested on XP SP3) You're right, the program description indicates it does the same thing as Get Plain Text. Weird.

allclownsareevil

#10 Post by allclownsareevil »

Well I tried both and neither worked for me on Win 7.

I'll have a scan around and if I come across something I'll post it here. In the meantime, does anybody know of a util that performs this task?

lautrepay

#11 Post by lautrepay »

allclownsareevil wrote:In the meantime, does anybody know of a util that performs this task?
I use TyperTask basically for text replacement but, among other features, this tiny utility allows you to get plain text.
Select and copy the text, right or left click on TyperTask's icon in the systray and click on Remove Clipboard Formatting.
Hope it helps you, at least as a workaround until you find something more appropriate.

allclownsareevil

#12 Post by allclownsareevil »

lautrepay wrote:I use TyperTask basically for text replacement but, among other features, this tiny utility allows you to get plain text. Select and copy the text, right or left click on TyperTask's icon in the systray and click on Remove Clipboard Formatting. Hope it helps you, at least as a workaround until you find something more appropriate.
Hey man, thanks for the reply, will give it a try.

I'll have a hunt around at the weekend to see if I can discover something else too. If it's suitably portable I'll post it up.

lautrepay

#13 Post by lautrepay »

allclownsareevil wrote:
lautrepay wrote:I use TyperTask basically for text replacement but, among other features, this tiny utility allows you to get plain text. Select and copy the text, right or left click on TyperTask's icon in the systray and click on Remove Clipboard Formatting. Hope it helps you, at least as a workaround until you find something more appropriate.
Hey man, thanks for the reply, will give it a try.

I'll have a hunt around at the weekend to see if I can discover something else too. If it's suitably portable I'll post it up.
Glad to help you. :D

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

allclownsareevil wrote:Well I tried both and neither worked for me on Win 7.
Weird -- GetPlainText works fine for me on Win7 x64. In fact I use it like 20x a day because moving stuff between different Microsoft apps causes wacky formatting errors. I love this program.
In the meantime, does anybody know of a util that performs this task?
Ditto will do it. There's a hotkey you can set up that it will paste whatever you want in plain text with whatever hotkey you want. In fact, now that I think about it, I think I'll switch over to Ditto for that function.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

In the meantime, does anybody know of a util that performs this task?
Also saw this program over at 1 hour software: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/S ... nPaste.exe

Made back in '06 so I'm guessing this has only been tested for XP, but includes the AHK source code so it could likely see an easy new compile/update.