QtWeb Internet Browser [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
portackager

QTWeb 2.5

#16 Post by portackager »

Database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1469
Current QtWeb Internet Browser version is 2.5 (build 081)

If you have previous version, please update it here
QtWeb installation package: QtWeb-setup.exe

What's new in version 2.5 (build 075 released May 28, 2009):

- Compatibility option with other popular browsers
- External web page source viewer can be configured
- Master password to protect personal AutoFill information
- Pure single portable EXE: removed all dependencies to MSVCRT (msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, manifest)
- Proxy exceptions can be specified
- Mouse gestures added, 8 directions (build 079)
- Resizable search bar and address bar (build 079)

Minor enhancements:
- Support for Windows 2000 is added (build 045)
- Middle-clicking a window with only one tab on the tabbar empties it now instead of closing the browser (build 045)
- When clicking the Address Bar - full URL is highlighted (build 045)
- Ctrl+Enter in Address Bar wraps uncomplete url with "http://www." and ".com" (build 045)
- Images can be opened in a new Tab as well as in a new Window (build 075)
- Copy Address context menu item added to copy URL only without schemas (http://, mailto:, etc..) (build 075)
- Enable Web Inspector state is saved and restored when browser is launched the next time (build 075)
- Ability to delete Search Providers supplied by default (google, live, cuil, yahoo) (build 075)
- Non-default Search Provider can be launched when use its name as a prefix to search phrase (build 075)
- Ability to rename a bookmark on the Bookmarks Bar via context menu (build 075)
- Ability to create a new folder on the Bookmarks Bar via context menu (build 075)
- Examples of UserAgent added to Custom UserAgent combobox (build 075)
- Two shortcuts changed to accomodate German keyboard (build 075)
- Added sorting of Bookmarks (build 075)
- Removed Live.com default search engine as long as it is expired (build 077)
- Added Zoom Text Only option to View menu(build 081)

Bug fixes:
- Fixed-width font for <PRE> tag not displayed properly, font change did not affect the display (build 039)
- CPU loading was too high on some websites, like http://www.google.com, which use JavaScript intensively (build 041)
- Problem with cookies on some websites, like Amazon.com - fixed (build 043)
- Cookies not always saved if removed in Cookies Dialog (build 045)
- Fixed Qt 4.5.0 implementation of random numbers generator to support browsing under Windows 2000 (build 045)
- Fixed Qt 4.5.0 QNetworkCookies implementation to support cookies for gmail, hotmail, reddit, etc.. (build 047)
- Fixed bookmarks import from HTML file containing local (non-english) characters (build 047)
- Fixed Qt 4.5.0 handling of unproperly formed MIMEType response headers, caused problems viewing sites like indystar.com (build 049)
- Fully rewritten Nokia's Qt 4.5.0 FontCacheQt, contained the only stubs and caused huge memory leaks rendering text areas (build 051)
- Fix: problem with cookies for iGoogle (build 053)
- Fixed: History auto-clean not always worked. Changed History cleaning method "Manually" to "One Week" (build 075)
- Added Master password request when user accesses web page having saved password/userinfo (build 077)
- PDF documents being opened with an associated application, instead of a blank page (build 079)
- Fixed algorithm of determination of installed/portable version (build 081)

Checker

Re: QTWeb 2.5

#17 Post by Checker »

Posted already by me at Sat May 30, 2009 :!:
See

Checker

Re: QtWeb V3.0

#18 Post by Checker »

It's now V3.0 :!:
I changed my first posting accordingly.

Checker

QtWeb V3.1

#19 Post by Checker »

It's now V3.1 :!:
I changed my first posting accordingly.

What's new in V3.1 (Released Sep 11, 2009):
- Multi-language support (5 languages)
- Web pages can be saved in Adobe Portable Format (PDF)
- Open links in tabs instead of new windows by default
- Bookmarks Tags (shortcuts) being added
- Download manager improved

Minor enhancements:
- Import bookmarks from HTML supports tags (shortcuts) properly
- Open in New Tab - context menu item added for bookmarks
- Proxy exceptions are evaluated as RegExps (wildcards pattern)
- Downloads window being closed with a browser (if no active downloads)
- PDF documents being just downloaded, no external application launched
- Optimized Settings access for read\only media (CD-ROM, protected USB, etc...)

Bug fixes:
- Relative path to Downloads location sometimes pointed to a wrong location
- Downloads window blinks while application closing sometimes

webfork

Re: QtWeb V3.1

#20 Post by webfork »

Really didn't think I needed another browser on my machine, but definitely glad I checked this out. If I was making a browser it would probably look like this. Just a few notes:
  • Probably the most portable browser on PFC

- Memory - Seems to take up generally less memory than Iron as it doesn't have the whole protected memory space (which admittedly has other advantages) for each page.
    - Run from CD - Claims it will work on read-only media
    - Size - Tiny (5 megs)
    - One icon for one program - Nice to have a single EXE file and then you can manually delete the settings and cache folders it creates.
    - Privacy - this "one icon" element means you can WIPE your browser trail when you're done rather than just delete it.
  • Turn things off - I like being able to just disable whole page elements -- in this case pages, javascript, plugins, useragent, etc. Although sometimes that's good for privacy, I also like that some pages are just annoying and need all their bells and whistles turned off .. e.g. when you're reading an online article, you don't need any pictures.
  • Basic Adblock built right in. Although it doesn't seem to use the subscription system that's integrated into the Firefox "Adblock Plus" part.
Update: Oh and its GPL'd. None of the other browsers except K-Meleon (not updated much anymore) has that.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (minor formatting fix)

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but this project appears to be dead. Last update was pretty minor and more than 6 months ago, general forum look like idle and spammy.

I think this had a lot of promise as a minimalistic, user-controlled browser so I certainly hope it comes back to life or someone picks up the reigns. Meanwhile Chromium looks to be the only viable GPL browser left on the site.

Firewrath

#22 Post by Firewrath »

Just want to note real quick, for me the Best thing about QtWeb is the ability to save webpages as PDF files, it makes a Great way to quickly make a pdf with just a little bit of HTML editing.
I So wish someone would fork it into a pure PDF creator based on that.

and if they'd upgrade when CSS3 is fully out, so the CSS-page* settings could be used, that would be just awesome, as QtWeb seems to 'print' the pdf files.
(*Page: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/)