MobaXterm - Portable X server with SSH client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Mobatek

MobaXterm - Portable X server with SSH client

#1 Post by Mobatek »

[Moderator note: this is the primary MobaXterm program thread. View database entry]

---

Hello,

I would like to submit MobaXterm which is a portable freeware X server with network clients such as SSH, telnet, rlogin, sftp. MobaXterm also comes with several other GNU utilities and a cool tab-based terminal. MobaXterm is based on Cygwin but it won't interfere with another Cygwin installation if you already have it on your computer.

If you need to access a remote Linux/Unix server, you should try the SSH client included into MobaXterm:
- it will connect you to your remote server
- it will allow you to run graphical applications thanks to the embedded X server
- it will display a cool graphical SFTP browser bar on the right edge in order for you to be able to transfer files from/to your server easily using drag n' drop. This is a really cool feature to try.

Link to MobaXterm submission:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1952
Please vote for MobaXterm if you like it!

guinness

Re: MobaXterm - Portable X server with SSH client

#2 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable (Not Stealth)

I couldn't test 100% (by connecting to a server) but I found that it create a Registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cygwin, which I don't think is anything to do with storing passwords. But it did create an INI file for configuration.

Mobatek

#3 Post by Mobatek »

Ow, you are right!
This registry key seems to be created automatically by the Cygwin process and has nothing to do with the app configuration. That is why we did not even notice it... :?
I will disable this registry key creation and will post a new version of MobaXterm here (I hope in one or 2 weeks).

Thank you very much for testing this program: as we spent a lot of days developing it, we hoped that someone would test it...

Thank you again for your review and be sure that we will correct the problem you mentionned as soon as possible.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

OK, well thanks for suggesting and it's always great when developers request their own application. I did like the UI, so it was a little disappointing when I found the Registry Key. But I look forward to an update!

Mobatek

#5 Post by Mobatek »

Hello,

I was about to update the database entry for MobaXterm (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1952) as we just released a new major version of this app (4.0), but I saw that Emka already did it, thank you very much!

In this new version, we brought a lot of changes, a lot of new additions (RDP, VNC, SFTP sessions, ....) but we also did our best to make MobaXterm stealth in order for it to be fully compliant with the portable freeware standards. I hope that you will vote for MobaXterm and we wish MobaXterm become famous soon as we are really proud of this app!

If you do not know MobaXterm, it is a freeware toolbox for people who work on remote computers (sysadmins, webmasters, developers, ...) using SSH, SFTP, telnet, rlogin, RDP, VNC, FTP or Xdmcp and who need an enhanced terminal with an X11 server for graphical remote display. MobaXterm brings several features such as a powerful tabbed terminal with local GNU/Linux command line utilities, a file transfer sidebar, a remote text editor and much more!

There is now a cool flash animation on our website in order to see MobaXterm in action: http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net .

We hope you will like this new version, do not hesitate to post your feedback!

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Mobatek wrote:we also did our best to make MobaXterm stealth in order for it to be fully compliant with the portable freeware standards.
More stealth is always good -- thanks for that.

TP109

#7 Post by TP109 »

Mobatek wrote:Hello,

MobaXterm is based on Cygwin but it won't interfere with another Cygwin installation if you already have it on your computer.
Yes, this would be a concern since I already have regular Cygwin installed. Based on some preliminary research, I know that in the past, many other portable Cygwin-based apps have had serious problems coexisting with standard Cygwin installations.

Mobatek

#8 Post by Mobatek »

Yes, this was a hard work to make MobaXterm completely stealth and to make it independant from any other cygwin installation... Thank you for noticing :wink: !

TP109

#9 Post by TP109 »

The save output option appears to have limitations for the amount of data it can save from the terminal, whether to rtf or through the print option. After compiling some code I had about 7k of lines but was only able to save about 25% of that to a file through MobaXterm. Is this a limitation? I was able to save the code by copy/paste into another text editor. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.
Last edited by TP109 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mobatek

#10 Post by Mobatek »

Thank you very much for reporting this issue, we will correct it for the next version!
Do not hesitate to give us your feedback as this really help us in improving the product.

Mobatek

#11 Post by Mobatek »

Hello,
Here we are! We just updated MobaXterm to version 4.2. The save output bug has been fixed, thank you very much TP109 for reporting it!
This program is getting really cool, we really hope you will enjoy it!

TP109

#12 Post by TP109 »

Nice! I am using MobaXterm and finding it very useful indeed.

Did you make a change to the default SFTP bar? I notice it doesn't appear in version 4.2, although it can still be opened in a separate session. I looked for a list of revision changes on your website, but there isn't one.

Emka

#13 Post by Emka »

With the fixes for v4.2, must anything be changed in the application's entry here?

Mobatek

#14 Post by Mobatek »

Hello,
Nice! I am using MobaXterm and finding it very useful indeed.
Thanks! This is a pleasure to read such positive feedback!
Did you make a change to the default SFTP bar? I notice it doesn't appear in version 4.2, although it can still be opened in a separate session. I looked for a list of revision changes on your website, but there isn't one.
About the changes, you can read the full changelog on the download page here: http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download-home-edition.html . About the SFTP bar, there has been no change. Could you check if the "sftp browser" option is enabled in MobaXterm settings window?
With the fixes for v4.2, must anything be changed in the application's entry here?
No, the application entry is perfect right now: the only necessary modification has been made: the sentence "Launch MobaXterm_Personal_4.0.exe" has been modified in order to reflect the version number change. There have been no other modification in MobaXterm that would require an entry update. I think that the author of the entry description is you, so thank you very much by the way!

TP109

#15 Post by TP109 »

About the SFTP bar, there has been no change. Could you check if the "sftp browser" option is enabled in MobaXterm settings window?
OK, it works now. My error :roll: . I had placed version 4.2 in the same directory as version 4.0 instead of in its own directory. The issue was probably due to a compatibility conflict in the .ini file. Anyway, after placing version 4.2 in its own directory, the SFTP bar appeared. BTW, I don't see an option to enable the SFTP bar in settings. I seems enabled by default. Version 4.2 appears to be working fine so far. If I do find any other bugs it's probably best to use the contact form on your site for that rather than using this forum.

Thanks for the info about the changelog.