Now I understand what you're talking about. I think writing a parser for a PO file would be possible, but performance might be reduced when using AutoIt, so for now an INI file structure seems like a good choice that you've made.
Yea, I figured the same thing. I wrote parsers before and although doable, they usually reduce performance significally.
I also had a UDF in which the INI file was stored in memory and was accessed using a Global variable with some SRE pattern to parse the string, this was great as it wasn't constantly reading the INI file, but at the time memory consumption was a concern so I abandoned this option very quickly.
I have the messages stored in a global array for now as well, but haven't benchmarked anything yet. For small arrays it shouldn't be a problem but for larger applications... yea I see what you mean, but I'm still undecided what would be best. An alternative I've been thinking about is caching the strings on the fly after IniRead(), but that doesn't really negate the problem either.
Anyway, it's still a work in progress and no worries, error handling is one of the first chapters I read when learning a new script language because I love code that can tell me every little detail as to how and why I screwed up