QTranslate

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

QTranslate

#1 Post by I am Baas »

https://quest-app.appspot.com/
QTranslate supports the following translate services:

•Google Translate;
•Microsoft Translator;
•Promt Mobile;
•SDL;
•Yahoo! Babel Fish.

Features:

•Translate text in any application that support text selection (Google Chrome, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Acrobat Reader, Skype, IE and etc.);
•Spell checking;
•Text to speech synthesis;
•Word suggestion/autocomplete (Ctrl+Space);
•History of translations (Ctrl+H);
•Virtual keyboard;

Download installer @ http://quest-app.appspot.com/QTranslate.2.3.1.exe and run. Accept license, choose installation directory and finally portable mode.

Requirement: Windows 7/Vista/XP, Internet connection.
Last edited by I am Baas on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: QTranslate V.2.3.1

#2 Post by webfork »

Good add -- looks very useful.

allclownsareevil

#3 Post by allclownsareevil »

I like it, very handy. Thanks for the post.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

QTranslate is updated to V3.1.0

http://quest-app.appspot.com/home

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Finally sat down to really test it and this program is fantastic -- a must have for anyone learning a language (including English). Apart from some possible hotkey collusions (addressed below) I really can't think of anything the program is missing. As its a front-end for web translation services, it of course requires internet connection.
  • Includes aability to change default text size, and autodetection of the language in use
  • Lets you switch easily and dynamically between several major translation services, supports all major languages and quite a few minor ones
  • Settings can be reached by right-clicking the tray icon
  • Hotkeys (lookup, web search, and listen to text) are global and very useful. You select a bit of text and press the hotkey -- works great. However, I recommend switching to something rarely used. For example, the default look-up is Ctrl+Q, which has a very different function in some programs. I switched it to ctrl+shift+,
Sidenote: Its unlikely that has anything to do with QTranslate, but for some reason, the audio translation seemed to work much better in Google than Microsoft's. The translation was remarkably clear and easy to understand in the previous and flat with blips in the latter.

License: Freeware

RAM: 8 megs
Disk: 470 k

tproli

#6 Post by tproli »

Does it speak all text to you? For me it stops about 100 characters (in both panes). Or is it by design to save bandwidth?

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

tproli wrote:Does it speak all text to you? For me it stops about 100 characters (in both panes). Or is it by design to save bandwidth?
Verified. Both the Google and Microsoft translators stop at the same place, and I have no doubt its for bandwidth reasons.

Edit: ... and that the limitation is independent of QTranslate. There's nothing on the site about it, but if you type in too many characters on the Google Translate site, the speaker button disappears.

tproli

#8 Post by tproli »

Thanks, I haven't thought it could be something on the GT page.

lautrepay

#9 Post by lautrepay »

I added QTranslate to the database. If you like it or find it useful, you can vote here.

Contrary to what I thought, Microsoft's translation service is very good, and often better than Google Translate, at least from/to Spanish. On the other hand, Yahoo! Babel Fish is practically useless.

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

@lautrepay

Cheers :D

lautrepay

#11 Post by lautrepay »

I am Baas wrote:@lautrepay

Cheers :D
My pleasure. Thanks to Checker for the corrections! (How did I forget the step 4?)

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

I found reading the entry a little disruptive with the listing of multiple hot key functions in the text, so I moved those down to a separate part. I know we're not really in the habit of listing all of a program's shortcuts, but want to keep them in in this case as that's one the major attractions to this program.

Toxteth O'Grady

QTranslate

#13 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Version 3.1.1 has been released.

Babylon (translation.babylon.com) was added to the available services. I don't know if anything else was changed.

lautrepay

Re: QTranslate

#14 Post by lautrepay »

Toxteth O'Grady wrote:Version 3.1.1 has been released.

Babylon (translation.babylon.com) was added to the available services. I don't know if anything else was changed.
Updated,thanks! :)

giulia

Re: QTranslate

#15 Post by giulia »

QTranslate 6.5.2 is out
changelog
New: History export to JSON format
New: Kannada and Tamil languages
New: Portuguese Europian localization
New: 'Pin when dragging' popup window option
New: Proxy scheme option
Fixed: DeepL translation service