DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
tproli

Re: DropIt

#616 Post by tproli »

My suggestion fails if there are more than 1 associations in a profile.
Perhaps adding a right-click menu item to the Manage Associations dialog is a good idea as it leaves the current layout intact.

Lupo73

#617 Post by Lupo73 »

@Leif: I'm doing some tests to understand why Alt commands don't work..

@RainrooM: I'll consider it, even if I have to verify that it doesn't cause problems..

I'm also working to the next release.. these some changes already done:
- automatic update system is modified to solve some issues (the new release will needs to be manually updated to start with the new method)
- system context menu integration is finally removed (due to compatibility problems)
- HTML themes of List action are improved (thanks to tproli)
- some interface aspects are improved (better support to manage duplicates, checkboxes to enable/disable monitored folders and more)

I'm considering other two major features for this release:
1. FTP support: an idea is to add a tab in Options to configure only one website and than allow to add %WebSite% environment variable in destination, but you can report me eventual better solutions.
2. multiple actions support: it is a very old request, but a very complex feature to implement (this is the reason why I'm waiting to add it and I'm still not sure to do). I'd like to know your opinion about it, how it could works for you, what combinations of actions you would like to use and so on.

Leif

#618 Post by Leif »

Alt + OK and Cancel seem to work as expected if I shift focus to another program and then back again to DropIt.

guinness

#619 Post by guinness »

@Leif: I'm doing some tests to understand why Alt commands don't work..
For example if &Save and &Set are used then this is conflicting with one another as normally using Alt+<highlighted_letter> literally selects the button, with both S' being selected which button to choose. This is one downside I found to having multi-language support, it's something I didn't think about when I added it to DropIt a year ago. Plus my knowledge of AutoIt was very primitive back then.

Lupo73

#620 Post by Lupo73 »

What do you suggest for it guinness?

guinness

#621 Post by guinness »

In the respective language file the 'language creator' would select which letter should be the Alt letter e.g.

Code: Select all

SAVE=&Save
SET=S&et
BUT... personally the less an end user or translator has to get technical the better, because I know translating isn't an easy task & time is money. :)

It's up to you, perhaps limiting the number of Alt shortcuts too.

Leif

#622 Post by Leif »

After realizing that Alt+letter works if I just switch to another program and then back again, I added some ampersands. Now the next problem appears. :-(
I have e.g. Alt+S on several tabs but when I hit Alt+S focus on one tab, focus shifts between all those underlined S on the other tabs.
It would be very nice if this could be fixed in a future version.

kuihdez

#623 Post by kuihdez »

Suggestion :

I would like an option that displays a LIST of the destinations just to double check everything went into the correct place.

when i have 20 items that will auto sort, I just like to make sure it did so correctly

guinness

#624 Post by guinness »

Leif, I know I'm not the developer of DropIt but I just did a test and I can't replicate the problem you mentioned, perhaps providing the following information in your bug report would help the problem.

1. Windows version. e.g. Windows 7 x64.
2. DropIt version. V3.9
3. Language file you modified. <download link>

Thanks.

Example:

Code: Select all

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

_Main()

Func _Main()

GUICreate("No problem!")

GUICtrlCreateTab(10, 10, 200, 100)

GUICtrlCreateTabItem("Tab_1")
	Local $iSave = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Save", 20, 50)

GUICtrlCreateTabItem("Tab_2")
	Local $iSet = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Set", 20, 50)

GUICtrlCreateTabItem("Tab_3")
	Local $iSort = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Sort", 20, 50)

GUICtrlCreateTabItem("")
	GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
		Switch GUIGetMsg()
			Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
				Exit

Case $iSave
				ConsoleWrite("Save" & @LF)

Case $iSet
				ConsoleWrite("Set" & @LF)

Case $iSort
				ConsoleWrite("Sort" & @LF)

EndSwitch
	WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Leif

#625 Post by Leif »

Win7 x64
DropIt 3.8
Language file: http://db.tt/uVKhsNGV

guinness

#626 Post by guinness »

Thanks. I just tried on the Options menu and everything worked fine. My suggestion (as Lupo73 should be the one to decide) would be not to add just yet the ampersand (&), this is purely down a small rewrite of the source code as I hard coded the & symbol in the source code, so sometimes you'll get items that look like this &&Save.

A general rule of thumb is to limit the use of the Alt shortcut command to certain elements, opting for hotkeys is a better approach when looking at multiple commands.

Note: I tested with a new Portable version of DropIt V3.8 on Windows 7 x64 and using your Swedish translation.

Lupo73

#627 Post by Lupo73 »

So is the idea to remove all Alt shortcuts and replace most important of them with hotkeys?

Any opinion about FTP idea? Do you think is a good idea to implement support to a unique destination website? Or have you a better idea to support more websites?

@kuihdez: you could try to enable the log file creation from Options and check results from there.. for the future I planned to improve the sorting window adding a list of the processed files (something like TeraCopy, even if with a simpler interface)

guinness

#628 Post by guinness »

So is the idea to remove all Alt shortcuts and replace most important of them with hotkeys?
Perhaps just limit the number of Alt commands for now. HotKeys were just something I put out there, didn't really put much thought into it, but there is a way in which a user can type a key combination and it will automatically recognise the keys, instead of using the comboboxes which just looks outdated. A couple of UDF's are floating around the forum.
Any opinion about FTP idea? Do you think is a good idea to implement support to a unique destination website? Or have you a better idea to support more websites?
Are you asking me or someone else?

Leif

#629 Post by Leif »

Re Keyboard input:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... essibility

And also this:
Do not use access keys for default buttons or buttons in dialog box templates. More specifically:

- Do not assign access keys to the OK, Finish, or Cancel command buttons. OK or Finish is typically assigned to the ENTER key for a dialog box default action, and Cancel is assigned to the ESC key.

- Do not assign access keys to the buttons in a dialog box template, such as the OK, Cancel, and Apply buttons. They cannot be allowed to conflict with those of controls on a particular page.

guinness

#630 Post by guinness »

Nice MSDN article Leif, don't know how I could've missed that one.