sWeather

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

sWeather

#1 Post by guinness »

Tray-based weather app featuring multiple location support. Tray icons for conditions and temperature (optional). Tray icons and images are customizable. Weather data is provided by Yahoo! Weather.
Download: http://skwire.dcmembers.com/wb/pages/so ... eather.php

Checker

Re: sWeather

#2 Post by Checker »

I added sWeather to the database.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2172 ... please vote :!:

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Thanks Checker, don't know why I didn't add this before :S

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Checker wrote:I added sWeather to the database.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2172 ... please vote :!:
I was going to say "but we already have WeatherMate," but I almost never use it. sWeather looks really slick.

Checker

#5 Post by Checker »

It's cool stuff, indeed.
I personally like "Weather Watcher Portable", which I found here :!:
I think it's worth an entry, too :wink:

BTW: It's an older version. The program has gone pay-ware now (See) :!:

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

About Weather Watcher Portable - I get this on first startup:

It starts OK on second startup.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Checker wrote:I personally like Weather Watcher Portable
Putting a lot of different stats into visual representations (compass, thermometer along the side) is a better way to communicate the information. Would be a good addition.

Checker

#8 Post by Checker »

webfork wrote:Putting a lot of different stats into visual representations (compass, thermometer along the side) is a better way to communicate the information. ...
Did you check the [Maps] function? Most of them (USA) are animated, too :!:
webfork wrote:... Would be a good addition.
You may add it ... it's surely a good program.
I think users won't like a rapidshare download or the alternative box.net download with a warning saying:
Warning: This file is executable.
This file has the ability to change your computer's settings. Be sure to trust the distributor.

ashghost

Re: Weather Watcher

#9 Post by ashghost »

This portable version of Weather Watcher may violate the license agreement. I love Weather Watcher, and I've been using the last freeware version (installed) since it went payware several years ago. In the help file, it says that you are free to distribute Weather Watcher "provided that you distribute the latest version". On the other hand, this freeware version is the latest version of Weather Watcher - the payware version is "Weather Watcher Live". It wasn't just a name change: WW Live changed the codebase to .NET, and, for awhile at least, it was released as payware alongside the freeware versions of Weather Watcher, so it really was a separate program.

I'm not sure which interpretation follows the spirit of the request. If you asked the author now, I bet I can predict the response you would get.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

ashghost wrote:I'm not sure which interpretation follows the spirit of the request. If you asked the author now, I bet I can predict the response you would get.
They're clearly not enforcing this provision. There's an ad-supported version over on Softpedia that's clearly a much earlier version than the one listed at the official site (7.0.92):
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/W ... cher.shtml

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

While testing sWeather latest release (v1.5.9) I found a couple of bugs:
  • When I set it to use "metric units", "Feels like" temperatures are not being converted correctly -- they still look like Fahrenheit to me (see below);
  • After changing the date format for my locale, the dates in sWeather dialog, status bar and tool tip still display in the common English format;
  • As I tried to solve this by modifying the "Local_Time=0" to "1" in sWeather 'config.ini', it broke the main program dialog display (see 2nd screenshot).
  • sWeather becomes unresponsive while updating and it tries to update every time its configuration is changed -- as a possible workaround, it should prompt the user instead if the minimum updating interval hasn't elapsed yet.

skwire

#12 Post by skwire »

Midas wrote:
  • When I set it to use "metric units", "Feels like" temperatures are not being converted correctly -- they still look like Fahrenheit to me (see below);
Actually, this looks to be a bug with Yahoo!'s API as the data that is returned is what I'm displaying. I can work around it with math, though.
Midas wrote:
  • After changing the date format for my locale, the dates in sWeather dialog, status bar and tool tip still display in the common English format;
That setting only affects the timestamp shown in the titlebar for the location's time.
Midas wrote:
  • As I tried to solve this by modifying the "Local_Time=0" to "1" in sWeather 'config.ini', it broke the main program dialog display (see 2nd screenshot).
Does rebooting or restarting sWeather help? Which OS are you running?

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

skwire wrote:Does rebooting or restarting sWeather help? Which OS are you running?
  • Changing back the setting and restarting made the glitch go away. The OS I tested on is Windows 7 x64 SP1. Consider my findings as requests then. Thanks for answering, appreciated. 8)

skwire

#14 Post by skwire »

There were a few bugs due to some wrong/different data coming from the new Yahoo! Weather API. I think I've worked around them in the latest sWeather (v1.6.0). Would you please download and test?

http://skwire.dcmembers.com/fp/?page=sweather

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

Tested by copying over "config.ini" and "locations.lst".

"Feels like" unit problem is solved -- imperial temperature measures still display in status bar with clear indication of "converted". 8)

The "LocalTime=1" doesn't break the main dialog anymore -- what it does is show the (almost) literal date format mask in the title bar.

Displayed time formats unchanged: e.g., "Conditions for Lisbon, Lisbon, PT at 10:00 AM WEST" in status bar -- WEST is confusingly Western European Standard Time, as opposed to CEST and EEST... :?

Overall, sWeather seems snappier. Placebo?