[junkware] CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy 4in1

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
David Pi

[junkware] CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy 4in1

#1 Post by David Pi »

CCleaner: Cleaning your Windows PC. Keep your privacy safe online, and make your computer faster and more secure.
Defraggler: Defrag your entire hard drive, or individual files.
Recuva: Recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player.
Speccy: Speccy is an advanced System Information tool for your PC.

These are four useful utilities made by Piriform, they're all freewares.

This is a 4 in 1 pack of these apps in portableapps.com format.

I made a online install package, rather than build them in. So whenever you install it, it connect to Piriform's website and download the latest version. So you can always get the latest version installed.

Change LaunchAndExit=false in Piriform4in1PackPortable.ini if you want the launcher to copy INI files back to Data directory in the end, or it won't.

Whenever you need to upgrade the program, just reinstall it. INI files (No matter where it is) will be preserved.

Hope you like it!

Download: <Link removed by moderator>

guinness

Re: CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy 4in1 Pack Portable

#2 Post by guinness »

Is this website and package endorsed by PortableApps?

David Pi

#3 Post by David Pi »

guinness wrote:Is this website and package endorsed by PortableApps?
I'm afraid not. The website made portable freewares in PortableApps.com format. But it has no relationship to PortableApps.com.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

OK so it's a copy cat website using images that are (probably) copyrighted by PortableApps.com. I'm afraid this won't be added to the db by me.

David Pi

#5 Post by David Pi »

guinness wrote:OK so it's a copy cat website using images that are (probably) copyrighted by PortableApps.com. I'm afraid this won't be added to the db by me.
OK. Maybe the banner is copied from PortableApps.com. But this site is not a copycat site. It makes portableapps that PortableApps.com would never make (most in Chinese language, but not this one), So it's called [Site Removed]. It never confuse people that this is the popular PortableApps.com, however it introduce people to PortableApps.com.
Last edited by David Pi on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

David Pi wrote:
guinness wrote:OK so it's a copy cat website using images that are (probably) copyrighted by PortableApps.com. I'm afraid this won't be added to the db by me.
OK. Maybe the banner is copied from PortableApps.com. But this site is not a copycat site. It makes portableapps that PortableApps.com would never make (most in Chinese language, but not this one), So it's called PortableAppC. It never confuse people that this is the popular PortableApps.com, however it introduce people to PortableApps.com.
Oh good -- its nice to know slightly changing the icon and domain name is all you need to do to prevent people from getting confused. I'm sure they'll follow this one up by starting googlec.com and used a slightly different color icon and logo than Google uses. Good thing.

I also look forward to PortableFreewareC.com and WinPenPackC.com.

MiDoJo

#7 Post by MiDoJo »

This distribution is actually a double license break unless you recieved exemption from Piriform.

If you have not (as moderator over at piriform) I'm afraid I will have to report you to those developers.
- You may NOT resell, charge for, sub-license, rent, lease, loan or distribute the Product without our prior written consent. We reserve the right to withdraw any such consent (or part thereof) for any reason and without notice and to demand that you immediately cease any activity in respect of which permission is withdrawn.

- You may NOT repackage, translate, adapt, vary, modify, alter, create derivative works based upon, or integrate any other computer programs with, the Product in whole or in part.
Nuff said, I'd remove your website now.

David Pi

#8 Post by David Pi »

Oh good -- its nice to know slightly changing the icon and domain name is all you need to do to prevent people from getting confused. I'm sure they'll follow this one up by starting googlec.com and used a slightly different color icon and logo than Google uses. Good thing.

I also look forward to PortableFreewareC.com and WinPenPackC.com.
Thanks. But I think no one will get confused. English Vistors will find this is a non-English site and will not think it's the PortableApps.com. For Chinese vistors I wrote an About page to tell them the purpose of the website and guite them to PortableApps.com.

These's an "elgooG" of Google so why can't I make a [Site Removed]? It's a part of Shanzhaiism spirit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanzhai). With no malicious.
This distribution is actually a double license break unless you recieved exemption from Piriform.
Please don't call the police. I just make an online install package with no their products inside. :lol:
Last edited by David Pi on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeddichNixan

#9 Post by GeddichNixan »

I have been thinking about whether I should join this conversation. Now I think probably there are a couple of things which should be clarified.

First of all, in my opinion it is not very constructive to react with sarcasm to what David Pi wrote. I know that copyright issues are often subject of different threads within this forum. I also know that many of the mods and frequent contributors to this forum explained countless times what a copyright infringement is and why portable packages which more or less obviously violate other's intellectual property rights are totally displaced here and thus won't be listed at TPFC. Nevertheless let us suppose that David Pi's intentions are "good" (however "good" may be defined) and he doesn't commit copyright infringements on purpose but due to his lack of knowledge. (Is it too naiv to believe this? Well, it is :-))

Using other's copyrighted material such as logos, designs, software etc. without written permission of the copyright's owner is an infringement. The distribution of a software package packed in the portableapps.com format without the written permission of the software's author may be an infringement too depending on the licensing policy of the author. (It is in most cases.) Using the portableapps.com format for other than private purposes (for the distribution of packaged software) may be an infringement too, but better ask John T. Haller about it, he can explain every little detail of it. Using a slightly altered domain name for one's own site with similar contents than the original site isn't very ethical either. I do not know how it is dealt with legally because I ain't a lawyer, but it may even be unlawful.

Making an online installer package without including other's software in it may be OK except the part with portableapps.com's stuff. The Portable Virtualbox package used to inlcude Virtualbox itself until Oracle (or Sun already?) requested to exclude it from the package. I am not sure how the legal situation is in that case but I suppose that the author currently is distributing his downloader-launcher package on the basis of some agreement with Oracle. Anyway even an online installer package may violate Piriform's intellectual property rights. Without Piriform's written permission it is at least uncertain.

IMHO there are too many obvious copyright infringements and too many uncertainties. I don't think that there is any chance for a site like this and for software packages distributed under these circumstances to be listed here. BTW, I totally agree with that policy of TPFC.

@David Pi
If you want to make the work of portableapps.com better accessible for Chinese who can't read English, why don't you ask John T. Haller and offer your cooperation? Portableapps.com already has an official German version (a Russian too), why don't you officially set up the Chinese one?

BTW, according to Wikipedia's article about "Shanzhai", IT IS the "philosophy" of intended violation of other's intellectual property rights and a kind of fundament of the copycat culture, so your argument with Shanzhai was less than convincing. (Now that wasn't that naiv any more.)
Last edited by GeddichNixan on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Pi

#10 Post by David Pi »

GeddichNixan wrote:I have been thinking about whether I should join this conversation. Now I think probably there are a couple of things which should be cleared.
Thank you so much for writing so much to educate me. I realize I have done so many evil, it's too bad. :twisted:

But now I got a little confused about the "infringement of portableapps.com format". So how to define the "portableapps.com format"? The launcher and installer is written by me in native NSIS language. Just putting apps in App directory and user data in Data directory, so it's infringement of portableapps.com format. Did portableapps.com regist trademarks of these two directories? I can change the directories' name and call it something else (for example, portableappc format), but no one will know what it is. So just for everyone easy to know what it is, I described it as "portableapps.com format". So I have to observe the whole copyright announcement of portableapps.com? Is this true?
If you want to make the work of portableapps.com better accessible for Chinese who can't read English, why don't you ask John T. Haller and offer your cooperation? Portableapps.com already has an official German version (a Russian too), why don't you officially set up the Chinese one?
Thanks for understanding me. But the most important thing to popularize portableapps.com format is not just localization (translation). It's making some China's popular softwares that portableapps.com would never make. (Most of them are not good softwares). I made it clean and portable in that format. But none of my visitors will think I'm the real one (of portableapps.com). As I wrote in the About page :" This is the 'Shanzhai' version of portableapps.com. Visit their site first." This is too far from the subject.

I understand there's thousand of reasons the package in this thread shouldn't exist. So please do what you supposed to do.

Sorry about my poor English. :D

zandet2

#11 Post by zandet2 »

webfork wrote:I also look forward to PortableFreewareC.com and WinPenPackC.com.
Yes, and our softwares can be named X-PLogLam or X-SoftwaLe :mrgreen:
(for non italian folks, it is a joke on how the chinese pronounce the "R" in Italy :wink: )

David Pi

#12 Post by David Pi »

zandet2 wrote:
webfork wrote:I also look forward to PortableFreewareC.com and WinPenPackC.com.
Yes, and our softwares can be named X-PLogLam or X-SoftwaLe :mrgreen:
(for non italian folks, it is a joke on how the chinese pronounce the "R" in Italy :wink: )
I asked my gf (she has spend a year in college studying italian), it seems what you said is true.
So what a good idea.

zandet2

#13 Post by zandet2 »

David Pi wrote:I asked my gf (she has spend a year in college studying italian), it seems what you said is true.
So what a good idea.
Perfect !!!

(glad to see that you undesrtand that was only a funny joke, nothing offensive :wink: )

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

GeddichNixan wrote:First of all, in my opinion it is not very constructive to react with sarcasm
There have been some abuses of the PortableApps name, but this is one of the most laughable. I should register portableappscc.com and copy his site.
David Pi wrote:As I wrote in the About page :" This is the 'Shanzhai' version of portableapps.com. Visit their site first."
Well, you certainly linked to it. That was nice of you. As to "visit their site first" that must have gotten lost in translation.

Edit: this was linking to a Google Translation of the site about page but has been removed.
David Pi wrote:These's an "elgooG" of Google so why can't I make a PortableAppC? It's a part of Shanzhaiism spirit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanzhai).
That's true: I often mistype elgooG when I meant to type Google.

GeddichNixan

#15 Post by GeddichNixan »

webfork wrote:
GeddichNixan wrote:First of all, in my opinion it is not very constructive to react with sarcasm
There have been some abuses of the PortableApps name, but this is one of the most laughable. I should register portableappscc.com and copy his site.
I am sorry, but this was by no means an appropriate counterargument. You answered with yet more sarcasm, now we definitely know and are repeatedly reminded that you are annoyed, but that was it. Constructive? Not at all.

Of course there have been some abuses of PortableApps' name and there will be. Of course this is one of the most ridiculous attempts I have ever seen. Nevertheless simply getting out the "sarcastic club" and hitting without solid arguments is not very constructive. Honestly, this reminds me very much of the old wisdom of the Wild West: "shoot first and ask afterward." Or of it's modified version: "shoot first and don't ask at all".

David Pi is a Chinese guy and Chinese have a totally different attitude against copying. Having him here at the forum is a great opportunity to try to convince him that it is wrong, what he does and how he could do it better or at least to let him learn about our point of view.

For you it may be just the ten thousandth attempt to abuse other people's work, so you may be annoyed by this. I absolutely understand it. But how should there be any kind of sober discussion, how could we ever reach a common basis, when our first reaction is sarcasm. I think we should use the opportunity to discuss matters. Yes, even the ten thousandth time.

If you register a domain like "portableappscc.com" then you get onto that level where David Pi and countless other domain owners currently are and then? Dead end. The same applies to your sarcasm. You express your annoyance but that was it. Yet another dead end.

BTW, almost every industry had started with copying before they begun to develop their own ideas. The major copycat was Japan in the sixties, than Hong-Kong, than Taiwan, than Korea, now it is China. (As far as Japan is concerned their whole culture is based on copying and refining. Ask some Chinese who really know their own culture about it, how much many parts of the "genuine Japanese" cultural heritage go back to Chinese roots.) If you look at earlier times even European countries tried to copy each other. Is that bad? Yes it is. Annoying? Sure.

When you at least did try to start a discussion and your attempt turns out to be futile then you can still get back to sarcasm in order to express your annoyance again and setting the final point at the end of discussion.

And finally, I haven't written all this for altruistic reasons only. I enjoy a substantial discussion much better than a sarcastic "hit-me-hit-you". That becomes very boring in no time.