Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?

Any other tech-related topics
bzl333

Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?

#1 Post by bzl333 »

just wondering....sometimes i'll run across a program and notice it has a no-install or portable version available but tbh i'll might have no idea if its useful here at PFC...seems like it would save some time if we could just paste a link in some thread set up for this and some of the veterans on here could have a quick look to see if the program is worth considering or not...

webfork

Re: Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?

#2 Post by webfork »

bzl333 wrote:just wondering....sometimes i'll run across a program and notice it has a no-install or portable version available but tbh i'll might have no idea if its useful here at PFC...seems like it would save some time if we could just paste a link in some thread set up for this and some of the veterans on here could have a quick look to see if the program is worth considering or not...
We certainly welcome your effort and always like to hear about no-install / portable stuff. However if you're looking for your work to get noticed, there are certain qualities which tend to grab our attention:
  • Don't have any other program like it (some examples)
  • A strong recommendation from a regular
  • Clear description
  • Good idea of portability
  • Standard (no weird fine print) licenses
  • Source code available
Another option I've seen work is to list several at once. Just one or two programs might get overlooked, but the longer the list, the more likely someone's going to see a program that might scratch an itch.

bzl333

#3 Post by bzl333 »

ok...thanks Webfork....

(i thought you guys were trying to catalog most of what is avail out there but that prob takes too much time anyway....i'll only post if i see something good that isn't duplicated)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

bzl333 wrote:ok...thanks Webfork....

(i thought you guys were trying to catalog most of what is avail out there but that prob takes too much time anyway....i'll only post if i see something good that isn't duplicated)
I think its an overall goal of the website, but with volunteer contributors and a voting system to get items posted to the main database, they need advocates and more than one of them. There are many programs that I've worked on or suggested that haven't made it into the database yet.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:... there are certain qualities which tend to grab our attention:
  • Clear description
I thought of another one:
:)

bzl333

#6 Post by bzl333 »

webfork wrote:
webfork wrote:... there are certain qualities which tend to grab our attention:
  • Clear description
I thought of another one:
:)
yeah, i like Nirsoft but his site and program GUI's could use a little modernizing....looking at his blog it seems like he puts out a new freeware app every week though....he must be a computer genius or something...

also, i was just hoping this site can grow like Gizmo's site and seems like it could...i mean with prices of netbooks and laptops getting so cheap people start messing around with multiple OSes and re-install OSes and partitioning etc and who wants to reinstall all the dozens and dozens of programs every time when you could just paste in a folder of your portable apps?

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

bzl333 wrote:yeah, i like Nirsoft but his site and program GUI's could use a little modernizing....looking at his blog it seems like he puts out a new freeware app every week though....he must be a computer genius or something...
I don't know what his motivation is, but I've certainly benefitted from his work on more occasions than I can count.
bzl333 wrote:who wants to reinstall all the dozens and dozens of programs every time when you could just paste in a folder of your portable apps?
Absolutely. I very rarely actually use my portable apps on a portable drive -- they're all set up just exactly the way I want them so I can drop them on any machine I like and keep going where I left off. It would take days to download and reinstall all the software I have.