PMCP (Portable Master Control Program)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

PMCP (Portable Master Control Program)

#1 Post by joby_toss »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pmcp/
Gives you the ability to operate Windows using PMCP alone, with its collection of useful utilities. Also includes several network tools. Written in pure C with Win32 API for maximum portability.

webfork

Re: PMCP (Portable Master Control Program)

#2 Post by webfork »

That looks really useful. Good suggestion.

Edit: Impressions:

Good:
* Overall very minimalistic and simple
* Fast and responsive even on a system that's running quite a bit. No hesitation.
* The "Shade" button to make the application flatted but still remain visible is cool
* The Processes window is minimalistic and simple, but does what I need it to do (jump to file location / terminate)
* At 1.6 megs of RAM and 500k disk space this is a very lean program.
* Program search included in DL
* A good set of easy to use network tools

Not great:
* Search output is a text-only output for some reason
* No Registry search
* Screencap tool is very Spartan
* Can't change background color even though that's an option in settings
* Few other tools here on the site (maybe not as fast and sleek as this program) that can do a whole lot more

Overall I can see some users who need what this program offers getting a lot out of it.

Edit:

Pulls together a variety of different administrative tools:

- File explorer and search
- Registry viewer/editor
- Process maanger
- Network tools
- Security
- HOSTS file editor
- Startup controls
- Screenshot

... all of which are not specifically better than other tools here on the site, but kind of nice to have them all in one place. I wonder if this isn't the developer's preferred view rather than an attempt to make a broadly applicable admin tool. I say this because the registry view is nice but without a search method, it's more limited than Windows' own regedit. The screenshot tool is a little basic, while some of the networking tools are nice but maybe unnecessary.

webfork

Re: PMCP (Portable Master Control Program)

#3 Post by webfork »

I came back to this the other day: the real winner appears to be the HOSTS file editor which is simple and straightforward, which I've been looking for.

Edit: I have to point out BlueLife http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2346 has a bit better front-end, while PMCP might be nice for a little more hands-on tack.