Calibre - ebook management

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Calibre - ebook management

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Creating your own portable/customized calibre install

I get an error every time I run the batch file. Can any of you batch experts look into this?

Cheers.

donald

Re: Calibre

#2 Post by donald »

Is Calibre in the root folder??? A folder in the root of the drive. EG: if calibre.exe is in the calibre folder then it should look like x:\calibre\calibre.exe in the address bar on explorer (You may have to click the address bar to see this. And X is to substitute the actual drive letter which will be different.)

In the batch file it should look like \calibre\calibre.exe
The calibre-portable.bat file makes the following assumptions about the folder layout that is being used:

Code: Select all

Calibre_Root_Folder
    calibre-portable.bat    The batch file used to start Calibre
    Calibre2                The Calibre binaries
    CalibreLibrary          The Calibre Library
    CalibreConfig           The Calibre user preferences
    CalibreSource           The calibre source (optional) if running a development environment.
If you want to use a different folder layout then the calibre-portable.bat file will need editing appropriately. This file can be edited using any appropriate text editor.

If I am reading this correctly when your drive letter is X your path to the Calibre exe should be x:\calibre\calibre.exe

If you were to put calibre in a portableapps folder then it would look like this \portableapps\calibre\calibre.exe
and have this address x:\portableapps\calibre\calibre.exe

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

Thank you for looking into it, donald. I believe I followed the exact same instructions but can't check right now. Will post here later.

Cheers.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

Finally, there is a Calibre portable build @

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable

It writes to the registry the usual Trolltech keys but that's easy to handle.

@donald
Thanks again for your help.

Andrew Lee

calibre

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have posted calibre to the database, courtesy of I am Baas:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2119

calibre is a well-known and popular ebook library management system with support for numerous physical ebook devices. It comes with its own ebook reader software as well.

Please vote if you would like it!

joby_toss

Re: calibre

#6 Post by joby_toss »

Few notes:
Upgrading
If you want to upgrade a previous version of calibre portable, download the latest version from here and replace the "Calibre Library" and "Calibre Settings" folders in your new download with the same folders from you old calibre portable.
The calibre portable build can be run on any windows computer running at least Windows XP SP3.
Additional download location, where you'll also find some video tutorials for download:
http://code.google.com/p/calibre-ebook/downloads/list

The "not stealth" status refers to the Trolltech registry keys, not some Calibre settings.

I also rectified the package size.

Thanks for adding! Voted! :)

ChemZ

#7 Post by ChemZ »

:D Highly recommended :D

- Easy to use
- Easy search
- Very versatile
- Very customizable (GUI and library organization)
- Easy to download metadata for your book from several sources
- Practically supports every eBook format you're gonna come across
- Can convert to practically any eBook format you're gonna come across

Great software for managing and organizating your eBooks, it's like an all-in-one do-it-all piece of kit. Maybe the only thing I can see missing right now is an editing feature, it would be nice to be able to do some quick editing.

But no big loss, you can always try Sigil, a dedicated eBook editor. Shame it's not portable at the moment, but still recommended. :)

carbonize

#8 Post by carbonize »

been using Calibre ever since I got my first ebook reader a year or so ago. It is by far the best ebook library management software available.

As to Sigil I have used it in the past but it is so slow and resource hungry I gave up fixing formatting errors in my books and just learned to live with them.

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

Thank you Andrew & joby_toss. I know I have quite a few applications to add to the DB. Hope to find the time soon.

Cheers.

ChemZ

#10 Post by ChemZ »

The calibre portable build can be run on any windows computer running at least Windows XP SP3.
Has been fine running on XP SP2 as well.

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

This is a statement of the authors, on their website.
Maybe not all the features are working properly? I don't know.

lautrepay

#12 Post by lautrepay »

Apparently, the zip packaged version of calibre2opds is portable (didn't test).
If you manage your eBooks collection with Calibre, this tool will allow you to generate an OPDS compatible XML catalog (Stanza and Aldiko use this standard), complete with cross-references, and external links to interesting web pages about your books. This catalog can be used with OPDS compatible reading software/devices to browse your catalog online and download items of interest.

In addition, an HTML version of your catalog can also be generated, allowing access from any browser-based ebook reader (e.g. a netbook with Firefox and ePubReader).

Requires : Java 1.5 or higher, Calibre 0.6 or higher, and optionally a mean of publishing the catalogs (e.g. a Dropbox account) so that they are visible on the public internet.

Magibon

#13 Post by Magibon »

i tried to create an NSIS launcher for this but can't figure out why it refuses to work.

Im using

DeleteRegKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER "Software\Trolltech
and yes.. i have:

!include "Registry.nsh"

anyone have an idea?

Note:
the launcher successfully compiles, launches, and terminates.

Hydaral

#14 Post by Hydaral »

I believe the registry "functions" are actually macros, so it's a different syntax:

${registry::DeleteKey} "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trolltech"

Magibon

#15 Post by Magibon »

Hydaral wrote:I believe the registry "functions" are actually macros, so it's a different syntax:

${registry::DeleteKey} "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trolltech"
thanks for the help.. but that's not the correct syntax.
im familiar with NSIS and have successfully compiled many launchers.

It's Calibre.. i think it's causing a problem because of the way it's been created by it's developers.
It's already in a 'Portable' format.. .which i think might be the problem.

For instance. .. i created a launcher for Autoruns which is basically the same source: clean up a registry key after terminating.
it works fine.. same code.. same syntax.. which is why i think it's Calibre itself that's the problem.

It's no big deal.. i'll just add the key to CCleaner :)