Problem with X-LibreOffice 3.4.0

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
lautrepay

Problem with X-LibreOffice 3.4.0

#1 Post by lautrepay »

I've downloaded and tried to install X-LibreOffice 3.4.0, but everytime I launched X-LibreOffice.exe the process was blocked and killed by Data Execution Prevent, a very strange thing since I keep DEP always disabled.
This is the very first time that something like that happens to me.
So, I enabled the DEP and configure an exception for the executable, but nothing changes. It seems that DEP has no sympathy with X-LibreOffice, since everything else remains normal.
(I deactivate JavaGet.exe before launching X-LibreOffice.exe)
Is there a solution for this problem?

SYSTEM

Re: Problem with X-LibreOffice 3.4.0

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

I, too, had problems launching X-LibreOffice 3.4.0. It kept crashing on startup while enabling extensions. (I got no messages about DEP, however. I'm on Windows 7.)

The crash was clearly related to Java. I got X-LO 3.4.0 working by installing Java normally and deleting javasettings_Windows_x86.xml from User\LibreOffice 3\user\config.

X-LO enables and disables extensions only at the first startup, so I think subsequent startups will succeed even without Java installed.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

lautrepay

#3 Post by lautrepay »

SYSTEM wrote: (I got no messages about DEP, however. I'm on Windows 7.)
Your DEP is disabled?

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

lautrepay wrote: Your DEP is disabled?
I use the default setting ("Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only").

JohnTHaller

#5 Post by JohnTHaller »

Keep in mind that LibreOffice 3.4.0 is not considered a stable release and is for "early adopters only"... essentially making it an extended test branch for the time being. They advise the 3.3.x release for actual use. So it could be an issue with LibreOffice itself.

We're sticking with the 3.3.x releases for the official PortableApps.com/LibreOffice releases but will be posting a LibreOfficePortableTest package this week with 3.4.0 for those interested in testing it.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

lautrepay

#6 Post by lautrepay »

SYSTEM wrote:I use the default setting ("Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only").
I tried your way without good results, I disabled it again and the DEP insists on taking control when I launch the executable... And I have administrator rights in my only account...:shock:
JohnTHaller wrote:Keep in mind that LibreOffice 3.4.0 is not considered a stable release and is for "early adopters only"
Thanks! (although I was already warned) :wink:
JohnTHaller wrote:So it could be an issue with LibreOffice itself.
I don't think so... I've installed the official LibreOffice 3.4 before the test with the winPenPack's version and it runs with no problems...
JohnTHaller wrote:We're sticking with the 3.3.x releases for the official PortableApps.com/LibreOffice releases but will be posting a LibreOfficePortableTest package this week with 3.4.0 for those interested in testing it.
I'll test it.

Danix

#7 Post by Danix »

@lautrepay and @SYSTEM, have you tried if you have the same problems with the previous version of X-LibreOffice?

SYSTEM

#8 Post by SYSTEM »

Danix wrote:@lautrepay and @SYSTEM, have you tried if you have the same problems with the previous version of X-LibreOffice?
I had used 3.3.2 rev4 for a long time. It never crashed at startup.

On the other hand, I haven't tested 3.3.2 rev6.

Danix

#9 Post by Danix »

I think LibreOffice itself has problems when started in long paths with spaces.
Please, try the latest version in a shorter path without spaces (at least for the first run), with or without JavaGet.

SYSTEM

#10 Post by SYSTEM »

Danix wrote:I think LibreOffice itself has problems when started in long paths with spaces.
Please, try the latest version in a shorter path without spaces (at least for the first run), with or without JavaGet.
I can't do that. :mrgreen: Nearly all portable applications I use are at the root of the partition. For example, I have X-LO at G:\X-LibreOffice.

However, lautrepay may have a different problem than I had. :?

lautrepay

#11 Post by lautrepay »

Danix wrote:I think LibreOffice itself has problems when started in long paths with spaces.
I moved the folder to the root of the partition, renamed it and it's all ok now. (I thought the problems with deep paths were solved in this release...)
Thanks, Danix! :D
(Maybe a ReadMe file in the package would be helpful...)

Danix

#12 Post by Danix »

I tested again and I think the error at X-LibreOffice first run should not be caused by spaces in the path, but by an installation path too long if the program's profile (\User\LibreOffice 3\user\registrymodifications.xcu and sub-folders) has not been created yet. The problem was already known on Windows XP (also for X-OpenOffice.org), but it seems much more evident on Windows 7. Please note that when the profile has been created, the program starts also from a long path. I could provide a copy of a fake profile at X-LibreOffice first run, but I do not really like this solution.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

The disclaimer that formerly applied to LibreOffice Portable will now apply to the whole entry. I'm also going to add an example directory that will work without issue.

JohnTHaller

#14 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:The disclaimer that formerly applied to LibreOffice Portable will now apply to the whole entry. I'm also going to add an example directory that will work without issue.
I'm working out the exact issues with paths supported within LibreOffice Portable for both 3.3.3 and 3.4.0 (as a 'LibreOfficePortableTest' release due to its classification as essentially an alpha/beta for 'Early Adopters' only) that we're packaging up with The Document Foundation for official release now. I'll be baking this into the installer itself so there's no need for any confusion on the part of the user with something failing while they try to install/unzip it due to file system issues.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality