Is Opera 11 standard portable or not ? (2)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
guinness

Re: Is Opera 11 standard portable or not ?

#136 Post by guinness »

I can't help but think its due to TPFC. Lets be honest here (and I have said this before) I believe Martin from Ghacks reads TPFC on aregular basis, so I therefore can't help but wonder if one (or all) of the authors from Lifehacker reads TPFC Feeds?!

Good find grannyGeek!

JohnTHaller

#137 Post by JohnTHaller »

Yeah, Opera used to be payware. I know because I was one of the folks who'd purchased a copy way back when. I was even interviewed about it for a news report. At the time, it was the only browser that worked well on my mom's old computer with AOL on it.

(See also: "When I was your age...")
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#138 Post by guinness »

So you were the only who bought it that it hit headline news :P

JohnTHaller

#139 Post by JohnTHaller »

Hehe, I was interviewed about Opera as an alternative browser for a local news program. And I'd helped a few folks get it running on their computers at the time (as it was the most modern browser that would run acceptably). This was long ago in the land before tabs (when Opera had a Windows menu option with the different sites you had open in it). You're kinda right, though... I don't know of anyone else at all at the time who'd paid for it :)
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

freakazoid

#140 Post by freakazoid »

I jumped onboard the Opera bandwagon with v8.54. Was unbelievely still using dial-up at the time and Opera was the only browser to load fast b/c you could turn off images and stylesheets natively.

Haven't stopped since! :)
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#141 Post by guinness »

John...here's a thought, you now have a working relationship with Opera, so perhaps a gentle hint towards a refund wouldn't go a miss :D

freakazoid - I'm a late bloomer, because I jumped on the Opera band wagon at V10.00B1 and haven't looked back ;D

Magibon

#142 Post by Magibon »

JohnTHaller wrote:Yeah, Opera used to be payware. I know because I was one of the folks who'd purchased a copy way back when. I was even interviewed about it for a news report. At the time, it was the only browser that worked well on my mom's old computer with AOL on it.

(See also: "When I was your age...")

wow.. you, my friend, is an "O.G"!
i was still in high school when AOL was out... lol!

-----
grannyGeek wrote:Nice to see Opera getting a little Lifehacker love. for several years they haven't talked very much about Opera aside from announcing releases and new features.
http://lifehacker.com/#!5791586/how-and ... onnections

nice review; although, im on a 3mb broadband connection and i still use Opera. It's not just for people with slow connections, although it's helpful for people with slow connections.

the_watcher

#143 Post by the_watcher »

i think i've started to use it since version 6...
it was the only browser running fine on my old pc :)

never missed those ad-banners, though

SYSTEM

#144 Post by SYSTEM »

the_watcher wrote:what do you think about opera barracuda?
from what i read at the desktop team blog, many users are not happy with the new speed dial (including myself).
I ended up disabling Speed Dial (set opera:config#UserPrefs|SpeedDialState to 0).

The new Speed Dial causes a delay while opening a new tab. While the delay is small (maybe half a second), I want new tabs to open instantly.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Magibon

#145 Post by Magibon »

SYSTEM wrote:
the_watcher wrote:what do you think about opera barracuda?
from what i read at the desktop team blog, many users are not happy with the new speed dial (including myself).
I ended up disabling Speed Dial (set opera:config#UserPrefs|SpeedDialState to 0).

The new Speed Dial causes a delay while opening a new tab. While the delay is small (maybe half a second), I want new tabs to open instantly.

i don't have a problem with loading.
the only issue i have is the speed dial images centering. (only a few)
but for me, i use it too much. although it's not perfectly centered, the visual representation makes it easy for me to choose from my fav's.

have you tried installing a new image?
i know from my experience, upgrading on top of existing Opera images tend to cause problems.
i was saving the entire "Profile" folder and pasting on top of new Opera images, which caused my browsing speed to drop.
i couldn't figure out what was wrong, then decided to install a new image.
that fixed my problem. :)

good luck.

P.S.
for me, the Speed Dial is one of the reasons i use Opera.

guinness

#146 Post by guinness »

I use Opera because they care about Internet Standards and being innovative with new features in their product.

I just tried Opera Mobile 11 yesterday and all I can say is "WOW!"

SYSTEM

#147 Post by SYSTEM »

Magibon wrote: have you tried installing a new image?
i know from my experience, upgrading on top of existing Opera images tend to cause problems.
i was saving the entire "Profile" folder and pasting on top of new Opera images, which caused my browsing speed to drop.

good luck.

P.S.
I mentioned that the delay caused by the new Speed Dial is small. In addition, my hardware is slow.

It's just that any delay opening a new tab reminds me of Internet Explorer 8... :roll:

Magibon

#148 Post by Magibon »

SYSTEM wrote:
Magibon wrote: have you tried installing a new image?

good luck.

P.S.
I mentioned that the delay caused by the new Speed Dial is small. In addition, my hardware is slow.

It's just that any delay opening a new tab reminds me of Internet Explorer 8... :roll:

my hardware is both old and slow: Intel Dual Core !
that's why i mentioned installing a new Opera image.

but if you feel it wont help, or you have already tried that, then just ignore.

SYSTEM

#149 Post by SYSTEM »

Magibon wrote:
SYSTEM wrote: I mentioned that the delay caused by the new Speed Dial is small. In addition, my hardware is slow.

that's why i mentioned installing a new Opera image.
Much faster than mine, though.
Magibon wrote:but if you feel it wont help, or you have already tried that, then just ignore.
Correct, I feel that reseting settings wouldn't help. I can easily imagine that my processor needs the delay to resize the thumbnails.

Ruby

#150 Post by Ruby »

Magibon wrote:Image

You're not skimping on hardware too bad (see 'my rig' below)

That WEI of 3.4 is more than likely due to your graphics card, click your Start orb and type perf,
you should see 'Performance Information and Tools' click the link and you should see something like:

and for comparison's sake, my rig (2007 Laptop):

If your 'Base score' is based on Graphics performance you should be able to improve your computers performance with a new Video card.