FontsOnCD - tiny font browsing utility

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Replika

FontsOnCD - tiny font browsing utility

#1 Post by Replika »

FontsOnCD is a powerful font browsing utility that allows you to browse your TrueType fonts without waste of system resources. Major FontsOnCD feature - tiny size and possibility to write a program on CD jointly with your font collection for automatic browsing. You can place FontsOnCD in any folder of your CD image and the program will show all TrueType fonts existing on disk starting by root disk folder. Also you can place path for FontsOnCD to autorun file, and program will start automatically when you close CD tray.

Main features of FontsOnCD:
Simultaneous view and compare all font faces in selected folder.
Show family and subfamily name of font.
Show file name of selected font in status bar.
View sample text in bold, italic, underline and outline form.
Sample text change capability allow you to type in text on the fly to compare font faces using exactly the text that you type.
System requirements:
Pentium II or higher CPU recommended.
32MB RAM.
Windows ® 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP.

Homepage: http://fontsoncd.narod.ru/
Screenshot: http://fontsoncd.narod.ru/img/shot_big.png
Download: http://fontsoncd.narod.ru/downloads/FontsOnCD.zip (~10kB)

Replika

#2 Post by Replika »

Why don't you add it :(
It's the best tiny fonts browser i've ever used 8)

Firewrath

#3 Post by Firewrath »

it takes them a while to go through and add things,

dont it Fluff? :P
wheres that Plasma Pong? huh? huh? ;)

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

How do we make this scale, and get everyone off our backs? :D

This started out as a kind of personal "blog". Well, that was before I even heard of blogs, but on hindsight, it does have a "bloggy" structure.

In the beginning, all submissions were via email. And I was always getting hammered left and right, asking me when a submission is going to be posted.

So I added the submission forum, thinking that will get people off my back, since the forum is free-for-all. But apparently, people are still not happy until their submissions make it into the database!

Well, the dilemma is that the database cannot be free-for-all, otherwise it will lose its purpose. But it is a lot of effort to test every app for portability, and I only have so many free hours a day (and I assume so does Fluffy).

The only recourse I can see is to add more "gatekeepers" to the database, but there are two issues: 1) whom we can trust 2) whether that person wants to devote the time. Some time back, we did extend an invitation, but it was turned down due to lack of time.

Ideas?

Firewrath

#5 Post by Firewrath »

heh, man, your Never going to make people happy, :P
it just how people are anymore, -_-

i like the place actually, and im never any a hurry for something to be put in the database before ill try it out,
(i was just using the pong bit to bug Fluff since that was like way back in Sept, ;))

so a 'fix'
put this in big bold letters in the submission forum:

"App.s will be tested and/or added when we get time." :P

cause really, i dont see a lot of 'regs' around that you can just up and give site access to, =/

and then theres this,........
(Below this doesnt answer your main problem its just more work/time so you can basicly ignore it on that account, ;))

though, as to 'ideas' and the whole submission bit, :P
and i dont know php and all that enough to really help with this, -_-
But, i think one of the best things you can do is something like this linker,

but change it around like:

Name:
App. Name:
Link:
Description:

when people hit submit have it search the App. Name in the main App. database and in a Submission database,
if its not in either have it put in a listing with the info and "Submitted on: <date>", minus the description part or put a word/letter limit on it,
(kinda like they do on Filefront for thier files, but just with links and no sub-pages,)
if its already in the database or has already been submitted, have it redirect the link to either the App. in the main section or its place on the submission list,

easy, eh? ;)

...yeahyeah, i know,
itd be a lot of work, and people would whine that you didnt add their app the second they hit the submit button, and yes, itll cause its own problems, multiple submissions with people misspelling stuff and all,
but itd get rid of some of the ones where they dont search for the app and such, and organize the whole process a little,
granted it doesnt get them added faster, but yeah, you asked for 'ideas' and redllar will tell you what a mistake that is, ;)

usdcs

#6 Post by usdcs »

I, for one, think you all are doing a fine job. People seem to lose sight of the fact that you all are providing a volunteer service to the community. To me, an entry in the database is the "Seal of Approval" that something has been tested and "approved" by knowledgeable people.

I believe that people submitting applications for consideration have only one or two reasons for doing so. Most simply want to share applications like Andrew, Fluffy, and Darkbee do.

Others want to get their name noticed. And, I feel that is the motive behind the "Why haven't you posted this, yet!?!" messages. If that's the case, a simple "We'll get to it as soon as we can." message should suffice. If they continue to harass, you should shut them down, ban them, or whatever.

If I may say so, TPFC has one purpose and that is to be a repository for portable and free applications.

I believe that TPFC could provide another service and that is to show people how to test an application for portablity. Perhaps a Sticky thread could be developed that would expand upon the paragraph in the FAQ.

We could define a few terms such as "portable", "stealth", and "accepted as portable." We could describe the ideal way to test for portablity, such as using a Virtual Machine, etc. Or, how to test when you don't have those resources. Sort of a do-it-yourself tutorial.

By giving people the "recipe", they could make the determination for themselves whether to use a particular application, before it might be added to the database. In the process, we might get some higher quality submissions. It might reduce the number of "rejected applications" because they would be rejected as a result of the user's testing. And, as a result, the "gatekeepers" could devote their time to other applications.

Keep up the good work!
Dan
------------
... if it wasn't bacon, what was it?

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Firewrath, thanks for your idea on a more structured submission process. I will keep it in mind, but for now, I still prefer the less structured forum submission 'cos people can post whatever they like, and other people can come in and add comments. I would be nice, of course, if we can have a structured submission process that is also integrated with the web forum, but this is quite difficult to achieve.

I would, however, really like to make the search on the main page return results from the forum, in addition to matching entries in the database, instead of having to search in two places. However, when I tried doing it a couple of weeks back, I couldn't find a way to. phpBB does not have any API to return search results, it seems. If any one can provide technical information on doing so, I will be eternally grateful.

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have posted FontsOnCD to the database. Thanks!

Erind

#9 Post by Erind »

Andrew,

There is a forum I visit infrequently that gave me an idea. You want a search to return 2 sets of results. Those in the forum and those in the DB itself.

When you reply to a thread, it includes an IFRAME below your typed message with the previous thread in it. What if when you did a search on the main page, it executed 2 processes? The first returns DB search results, the second displays an IFRAME with the search results from a forum search.

You would have to modify the search results page, but the forum wouldn't have to be modified. It would just display the normal forum search results in an IFRAME.

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

Erind, thanks for the suggestion. It definitely sounds workable! I will look into it as soon as I have some free time on hand.