The forums are soooo quiet now

Any other tech-related topics
grannyGeek

The forums are soooo quiet now

#1 Post by grannyGeek »

Maybe it's just me.
But it kind of seems that when Andrew quit doing almost ALL the heavy lifting, and set it up so forum veterans can add items to the database, the "new" or "new-ish" forum members who were posting suggestions seemed to dwindle, and new discussion threads dwindled too.
:(

Am I being pessimistic?
Can we get the lively atmosphere roused up again?

guinness

Re: The forums are soooo quiet now

#2 Post by guinness »

But it kind of seems that when Andrew quit doing almost ALL the heavy lifting,
I don't think this is the case at all. I can't speak for the rest who actually work behind the scenes of TPFC, but as a simple user I believe Andrew is spending his "Free Time" improving the PHP code rather than adding/suggesting to the DB, this is why he spent countless hours coding the "Add Entry" feature. Also webfork and usdc's are maintaining a friendly environment for us.
Am I being pessimistic?
No, I think the comment is a little uncalled for, when you yourself has been a little busy in life lately. (I believe) :)

grannyGeek

#3 Post by grannyGeek »

ya, you're right :oops:
Pot, kettle, color = 000000
But I didn't mean it as a slam, only an observation.

Now, I definitely did not mean that Andrew is sitting back on his laurels now, just that when he used to be pretty much the only software tester, a lot more (unsuitable?) stuff was coming over the transom into the forum.

And I do think that the forum staff ARE doing a great job!

But, 'fess up --- don't you think it is quieter around here than it used to be a year or two ago?

guinness

Re: The forums are soonow

#4 Post by guinness »

OK, at least that's cleared up :D
But, 'fess up --- don't you think it is quieter around here than it used to be a year or two ago?
I think this is in part to the massive influx of additions to the DB that were made in 2010. Imagine in 2010 I added about 145* applications to the DB and before in November/December 2009 maybe 10 or so. So I think for me (personally) I have exhausted many areas of the Internet that I used to find Portable Applications :)

*I am not blowing my own trumpet at all, just presenting the facts! :P

usdcs

#5 Post by usdcs »

grannyGeek wrote:Now, I definitely did not mean that Andrew is sitting back on his laurels now, just that when he used to be pretty much the only software tester, a lot more (unsuitable?) stuff was coming over the transom into the forum.
This is a testimony to Andrew enabling others to add to the database, and a testimony to the members. Indeed, the forums are probably "quieter", because the DB is updated more quickly, without as much discussion.
grannyGeek wrote:And I do think that the forum staff ARE doing a great job!
Thank you, grannyGeek. You are too kind. Lately, I haven't had to do too much except monitor (that is, kill) the spam that gets in. I haven't had time to test applications. But, I do have the ability to log in multiple times per day across about an eighteen hour period. I try to read every post. So, if spam gets in, it usually doesn't last long.

Without running any statistics, I'd have to agree that it feels like things are quieter. But, it also feels that the site's quality is higher. And for that, we have to thank all of the members, from the most prolific posters, to the occasional commenter.

To the prolific posters, and you know who you are, thank you for the time and effort that you put in testing applications, and making entries in the database. To the occasional commenter, and to those that haven't commented yet, thank you for being here. Often, a new post from a new perspective, starts a lively discussion, and may result in the creation of a new application. (DropIt comes to mind..)

My virtual hat is off to you all! Thank you for making TPFC the community that it is.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

usdcs wrote:Lately, I haven't had to do too much except monitor (that is, kill) the spam that gets in. I haven't had time to test applications. But, I do have the ability to log in multiple times per day across about an eighteen hour period
This is my status as well. I was a lot more involved in the past 6 months because I had a lot more free time. Now most of my available time on the site making sure spam stays off and entries are clear and concise. I do it because its a nice distraction and it feels good to help improve and maintain a service that has done a lot for me and others.
grannyGeek wrote:the "new" or "new-ish" forum members who were posting suggestions seemed to dwindle, and new discussion threads dwindled too.
Part of the issue is that there haven't been many programs coming into our database that are "high level" programs such as new web browsers, office tools, audio-video programs, etc. Most recent database submissions are niche-level programs like labeling software, a barcode scanner, an enhanced copy-paste program, etc. That's not to say those aren't important -- I use several niche-level programs here on the site even more than the big ticket programs -- but its Songbird, SoftPerfect Office, Opera. Those are going to have a huge draw and bring in new users and activity.
grannyGeek wrote:Can we get the lively atmosphere roused up again?
Despite the current quiet period, I think that the PFWC forums will still be a strong hub of activity where many similar sites aren't.

What I am trying to do myself and I encourage others to do is trying not to be a wet blanket to newcomers. These forums have been overall very positive, but pointing visitors in a direction rather than noting the wall in front of them (whether in terms of licenses, that's-been-done-before, or the sheer complexity) is key. Its easy to take a new flame of an idea and throw a wet blanket over it before it can really get started.

grannyGeek

#7 Post by grannyGeek »

guys, excellent points from all of you.
I guess those of us who have been sideline observers need to get off our virtual duffs, and make a post more often (yup, I do realize that when I point a finger, those other three fingers *are* pointing back at me :-D )

m^(2)

#8 Post by m^(2) »

grannyGeek wrote:(yup, I do realize that when I point a finger, those other three fingers *are* pointing back at me :-D )
You're wrong. Not 3. :P

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

I am pretty happy with the transition actually. There is a lot more community involvement and consultation now, whereas before it seemed like every post was directed at me. :D

grannyGeek

#10 Post by grannyGeek »

@ m^(2)
meaning? dozens of other folks are pointing my way too?
:P

@ Andrew, it must have been hard when you were handling all the testing.
I think the guys here have been doing a bang-up job of finding and posting good apps.

m^(2)

#11 Post by m^(2) »

grannyGeek wrote:@ m^(2)
meaning? dozens of other folks are pointing my way too?
:P
Exactly. :mrgreen: