SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Edition

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
duncanvw

SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Edition

#1 Post by duncanvw »

This is my first post, so my apologies if I'm not doing it correctly. I've read the rules and guidelines and I believe this is the way to do this.

SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Edition is a fully-portable spyware scanner, one of the very few truly "portable" scanners available. The scanner can be downloaded onto a USB drive and used to scan and remove spyware infections without installation or reliance on an exe file. More information, including the application itself can be found here:

http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

Thank you very much for your consideration,

Mike, SUPERAntiSpyware

duncanvw

Re: SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Edition

#2 Post by duncanvw »

I forgot to mention, the portable scanner is free for home users. Thanks again!

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Welcome to TPFC. Thanks for posting this application, but I believe it has been tested before >> http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 887#p26887 How did you Test the application? Did you get the same Results as Ruby?

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

This is my first post, so my apologies if I'm not doing it correctly.
:evil:

Kidding... and welcome to TPFC

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... f=4&t=5856

Edit:
Oh, guinness, you should stop hiding your online presence.

duncanvw

#5 Post by duncanvw »

It does look like the same product. My apologies, I did a search but it didn't come up. It may be that I searched for SUPERAntiSpyware rather than superantispyware or such. If I should re-post this comment there, I'm happy to do so.

The scanner is truly portable. I've used it a couple of times. My first experience was addressing an issue that my insurance agent had with his computer. He was getting pop-ups and re-directs and his wife was freaking out. I downloaded the portable to a USB drive and took it to his office. We booted into Safe Mode w/out networking and accessed the USB drive. I double-clicked the portable scanner and it started doing its thing. 20 minutes later it found and removed 40 files associated with PC Protector (nasty rogue infection). We rebooted into regular mode and we were able to update the version of SUPERAntiSpyware that he had installed on the desktop. Running a subsequent scan in regular mode with the installed version came up clean and he's been good to go since then.

I'm very interested to get the thoughts of others.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

The scanner is truly portable.
It might be Portable (in that it can Run from a USB Drive) but the program stores its settings outside the application folder.

When I ran the Application I checked for Updates & scanned the System. This is what I found >>
HKLM\SOFTWARE\SUPERAntiSpyware.com, HKCU\Software\SUPERAntiSpyware.com, HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SASKUTIL & HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SASDIFSV plus HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_SASDIFSV & HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_SASKUTIL
Also it created an Empty folder in %APPDATA%\SUPERAntiSpyware.com

So I tested a Second time thinking that it might have been because I download updates. So I didn't change any settings just ran the application to scan only and I got the same as above.

Tested: Not Portable

Plus, it extracts the contents to the %TEMP% folder but this is considered Portable as per the FAQ.

duncanvw

#7 Post by duncanvw »

Fair enough, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm confused as to the definition of "portable" but that's neither here nor there. I do genuinely appreciate your willingness to put it through the paces, thank you.

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

It's not my intention to "rain on your parade" :D At TPFC we use certain guidelines to determine whether or not an Application is Portable or Not and because of this TPFC has a good reputation of providing a good source of Portable Applications. The guidelines to what makes an Application 'Portable' can be found in the FAQ. This also shouldn't deter/stop you from suggesting other Applications you deem as being Portable. As you can see in the database some Applications have been considered Portable based on how unique the software is and because I class this as Not Portable, doesn't mean that another user will :)

duncanvw

#9 Post by duncanvw »

Thanks again. Not all forums are this friendly to new users, and I really appreciate that. It makes it easy to come back, and it reflects a refreshing degree of professionalism.

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

Well that's refreshing to hear too!
Not all forums are this friendly to new users.
As much as this might be true on some Forums, (as you very well know) this isn't the case on TPFC; though we have had our fair share of new users being somewhat 'unprofessional' to us :D