WinScan2PDF

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Emka

WinScan2PDF

#1 Post by Emka »

From the maker of Q-Dir, DektopOK and others:
WinScan2PDF is a very small (~40k) and portable program that allows you to scan documents and save them on your computer as a PDF by using any installed scanner.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/WinScan2PDF

Not tested, but it claims to be portable.

guinness

Re: WinScan2PDF

#2 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable

Emka

#3 Post by Emka »

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

This software still needs a scanner driver (I hope no one thought he can bring this app and the actual scanner to a new machine and start scanning :) )!

Emka

#5 Post by Emka »

joby_toss wrote:This software still needs a scanner driver
Sure.
We have some similar applications in the database. Unlike STP and Scan2PDF, WinScan2PDF works on Windows 7 (even onx64). In addition, it is smaller than the others.

Emka

#6 Post by Emka »

BTW, when I scan with it, it launches an application named ScanGear, which is by Canon (I have a canon multifunction printer). I have never seen this one before because I used to scan images with Microsoft Paint. Has anyone got a Canon scanner too and can tell me whether and how I can start this application myself? I have browsed through every Canon folder I could find on my computer, but found no executable.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

MP250 here and I also can't find my ScanGear source process! :)

Kea

WinScan2PDF

#8 Post by Kea »

allclownsareevil wrote a comment that made me search for jpg files saved by WinScan2PDF. Very deeply buried in "C:\Users\u\Lokala inställningar\Programdata\Programdata\Programdata\Programdata\Programdata\Programdata\Programdata\Programdata\Programdata\Programdata\Temp\" I found ~tmp~winscan_to_pdf_2.jpg, a picture (dated 4 months ago) showing an extremely personal letter from my doctor, fortunately on my home computer. This is a very real security risk. Wouldn't it be great with a warning in the entry for WinScan2PDF?

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

Probably best to contact the author and ask why their application is saving outside of the application folder. I know I would want to know.

lautrepay

#10 Post by lautrepay »

@Kea: I've added a note to the entry but, like guinness, I think it would be best to contact the developer to alert him about the problem (http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Kontakt).

Kea

#11 Post by Kea »

Consider it done - as we say in Sweden :D :D

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

Kea wrote:Consider it done - as we say in Sweden :D :D
I don't think this saying is just limited to Sverige. :mrgreen: But thanks for contacting the author.

Kea

#13 Post by Kea »

I contacted the author on December 12, and still no answer...

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

Quick note to point out some WinScan2PDF security aspects have been discussed at http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... hp?t=20206 ... :!:

valcan

WinScanTo PDF v. 3.13

#15 Post by valcan »

WinScantoPDF v. 3.13 doesnt work, file probably corrupted. Scanning is reporting full green color pages only.
Please advise supplier for fixing.

Regards