Virtual Volumes View Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnTHaller

Virtual Volumes View Portable

#1 Post by JohnTHaller »

VVV is an application that catalogs the content of removable volumes like CD and DVD disks for off-line searching. This allows you to keep an index of all the files on multiple drives and optical media in a single location for easy searching. Folders and files can also be arranged in a single, virtual file system. Each folder of this virtual file system can contain files from many disks so you can arrange your data in a simple and logical way. VVV also stores metadata information from MP3 files: author, title, album and so on.

Posted to DB here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1989

Homepage: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... w_portable
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Andrew Lee

Re: Virtual Volumes View Portable 1.0

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

I updated the entry and replaced the placeholder "APPNAME.EXE" to "VirtualVolumesViewPortable.exe".

JohnTHaller

#3 Post by JohnTHaller »

Andrew Lee wrote:I updated the entry and replaced the placeholder "APPNAME.EXE" to "VirtualVolumesViewPortable.exe".
Heh, Ah, missed that, thanks! I did the same for FreeMat and DamnVid but can't edit them now.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Done! You have to have 50 posts or more to edit entries and what do you know, you have 49! Irony! :D

JohnTHaller

#5 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:Done! You have to have 50 posts or more to edit entries and what do you know, you have 49! Irony! :D
Awwww :(

Oh, wait!

Hydaral

#6 Post by Hydaral »

This appears to be portable by design:

"VVV does not change your operating system in any way: everything is contained in the installation folder so you can be sure that it will not cause problems to other applications or to the operating system itself."

I'm testing it now.

Edit: It's all lies! It adds registry entries: HKCU\Software\VVV

Edit 2: Not lies after all, it looks like you can use options on the command line to tell it to use a file for settings rather than the registry:

http://vvvapp.sourceforge.net/command_line_switches.htm

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

Virtual Volumes View is @ V1.2
Version 1.2:

•VVV has been translated to more languages.
•VVV can now read metadata (author, title and so on) not only from mp3 files, but from almost any audio format. It should not crash anymore with some corrupted mp3 files.
•Added a new file information dialog that shows all information about a file, included the list of all the virtual folders where it has been copied.
•Audio metadata cataloging is now optional. Users can disable it.

Version 1.1:

•VVV has been translated to more languages.
•It is now possible to expand all the subfolders of a selected folder with a single command.
•It is now possible to add files and folders to a virtual folder from the search view.
•It is now possible to choose the language that will be used by VVV.
•Added more powerful search features (see help file).
•Virtual view and search view: added a command to show the selected file or folder in the physical view.
•It is now much simpler to build VVV from sources, especially the Linux version.
http://vvvapp.sourceforge.net/

smaragdus

Re: VVV 1.3

#8 Post by smaragdus »

VVV at version 1.3, changes:
Version 1.3

- Now VVV works with all newer Linux distributions. Order versions failed with some newer distributions because they missed the requested libncurses library.
- The Edit/Object Information menu shows the size of the selected folder (or volume), including all subfolders.
- VVV remembers the physical path of a volume when it is cataloged, and it shows that path when the same volume is updated.
- VVV stores, for each volume, the date when it was cataloged and the date when it was last updated. The dates are shown in the Object Information window. Dates are stored only after updating to version 1.3 so you will not see any date unless you update an existing catalog. Catalog date is only available for volumes cataloged after the update.
- VVV uses more native icons under Linux and Windows.
- The Bulgarian translation has been added.
I extracted the installer and used this switch:

Code: Select all

"C:\Portable Programs\VVV\vvv.exe" -s"C:\Portable Programs\VVV\datasettings\VVV Settings File.txt"
it worked. However I don't know whether VVV version 1.3 is stealth or not (once I used the installer version and there might be left-overs). For me Visual CD is better but it does not support Unicode.

Some links:
VVV at Softpedia
Portable VVV at Softpedia
VVV at AlternativeTo