Poll: Too many updates

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.

How can we tackle the issue of certain apps that are updated too frequently?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Not a problem for me
48%
Limit number of updates to 2 per 7 days
10%
Limit number of updates to 2 per 30 days
17%
Limit updates to 1 per 30 days, but can accumulate up to 3 updates if quota not used for that interval
10%
Show only new entries in RSS feed
10%
Others (Please reply and elaborate)
3%

Total votes: 29

Andrew Lee

Poll: Too many updates

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

Some of you have complained that certain apps are updated too frequently.

I would like to get a feel of whether you guys think this is an issue, and how we should tackle it if it is.

Please participate in the poll and let me know what you think.

donald

Re: Poll: Too many updates

#2 Post by donald »

I would like to know if the RSS could reasonably easily be split into new only, and new with updates options?
(Should that be subscriptions?)

Thanks
Andrew

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Just my 2 cents: It doesn't bother me the frequent updating, if anything I wish more users were jumping on board by adding/updating and not the regulars!

I have found the majority of those who complain don't contribute to TPFC, so they should be grateful if anything. :)
Last edited by guinness on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

guinness wrote:Just my 2 cents: It doesn't bother me the frequent updating, if anything I wish more users were jumping on board by adding/updating and not the regulars!

I have found those who complain don't contribute to TPFC, so they should be grateful if anything. :)
Excuse me? I have both complained and contributed.

That said, I am grateful and will continue using this website even if Andrew doesn't do anything. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

OK, so I re-worked my comment. And I wasn't just referring to the updates, but also other topics in the past, screen shots, descriptions etc...

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

guinness wrote:OK, so I re-worked my comment. And I wasn't just referring to the updates, but also other topics in the past, screen shots, descriptions etc...
I got your PM and accept the new form of your post. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

JohnTHaller

#7 Post by JohnTHaller »

You can add up the numbers and see that 54% or more people believe that PEStudio is updating *WAY* too often. Especially since the app still crashes on Win7 x64 when trying to open anything including itself.

Since this is mainly about PEStudio, and that app has absurdly been updating 3 times a week or more, why don't we cut if off until it is stable.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

usdcs

#8 Post by usdcs »

JohnTHaller wrote:Since this is mainly about PEStudio, and that app has absurdly been updating 3 times a week or more, why don't we cut if off until it is stable.
Ahhh... But then, how would we know?

I see TPFC as being a two-way street. We provide a forum for the Developers to share their applications with the public, and we (the public) provide valuable feedback to the Developers.

I, for one, am glad to see that a Developer is actively working on an application, as opposed to having an application that suffers from lack of attention.

Now, I am not advocating that a Developer release bad programs indiscriminately, which may be what you are alluding to, John. But, many Developers do not have the resources to test everything as much as they'd like to. Which is where we come in.

In exchange for a portable and free program, I am willing to put up with the occasional trials and "tweaks", and to provide useful feedback. If a program's function is critical for me, I always have the option to purchase an alternative.

Bottom Line: I believe that it boils down to this. The Developer is responsible for what he or she releases. If the application is officially released, then the TPFC database can and should updated.

Personally, I would rather know of all of the updates, and have the choice as to whether I want to ignore them or not.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

usdcs wrote:I see TPFC as being a two-way street. We provide a forum for the Developers to share their applications with the public, and we (the public) provide valuable feedback to the Developers.
I agree that we want to be a resource for developers to draw interest for their projects. Also, we want users here on the site who volunteer their time to provide updates to feel appreciated. Users like Checker keep me informed about program updates are doing me a favor. However, I suggest limitations on update frequency can actually help this by making their posts more of an event.

Although frequent updates have been held up as a great way to draw user interest for developing projects, Freshmeat.net is a much more capable news site for creating that. Here on the site for users who aren't interested in that particular project, its just noise pollution and that hurts visitor traffic.

I'd certainly reconsider my position if:
  • If the site was or becomes primarily a developer resource
  • Andrew integrates news filtering systems similar to Freshmeat, able to search/filter by relevance, last update, creation, popularity, etc.
  • Someone can demonstrate the frequent updates are actually better for drawing traffic.

Firewrath

#10 Post by Firewrath »

well, personally i dont mind the updates, but then given how things are with me im not around enough for them to annoy me i guess, :P
also may mean my opinion might not matter much anymore, but wth, :P

Anyways, ive posted this idea like twice, so i'll just throw it up again here:
Firewrath wrote:can you add a tag to the main page to show only updated or newly added (public view) apps? because sometimes seeing all the updates is nice, but at times i just want to see what new apps have been added lately that i might have missed because of the daily Pages of updates, :P and since this voting system will probably increase the number of newly added apps, itd be nice to be able to view them without the updates in the way, and vice versa for the people that might want to see the updates without all the new apps
Also, i think itd be cool if the app list could be done like the 'whats new' but i think Andy said thatd be hard to put in, cant remember, but yeah, itd only show like:
TPFC Site wrote: RouterPassView V1.16
Suggested by guinness - Updated by Checker on 19 Oct 2010
108KB (uncompressed) - Popularity score (778/15)
Website - Screenshot - Download - Comments (1) - Post comment - Permalink - Edit
Category: Security - Password Recovery (26)
More Info: >>
(RouterPassView was ontop so i'll go with that, :P)

but that would cut down on a LOT of the stuff filling the front page,

EDIT:
another possibility that i forgot to throw in, is that you could make 'Updates' like the forum and comments bars to the right,
just the Date then the App name, that would take all the updates off the main section and put them on a long enough list that ppl can still access on the front page,

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

can you add a tag to the main page to show only updated or newly added (public view) apps? because sometimes seeing all the updates is nice, but at times i just want to see what new apps have been added lately that i might have missed because of the daily Pages of updates, :P and since this voting system will probably increase the number of newly added apps, itd be nice to be able to view them without the updates in the way, and vice versa for the people that might want to see the updates without all the new apps
Currently, you can see the list of recent new apps by selecting "options" to the right of the search box, change "Results type" to "New only", then click on the "Search button".

Or are you trying to get at something else?

Firewrath

#12 Post by Firewrath »

well i was thinking like a button/link on the main page, maybe where it says 'Latest entries (500)'
something like so:
Latest entries (500) | Updates

the 'Latest entries' bit would be its own Link, showing only new Apps, and the 'default' view, (since imo, thats what 'latest entries' means,)
this way if people Want to check for updated apps, all the have to do is hit the 'Updates' link,
the 'Latest Entries' would be a link just in case someone wanted to switch back,

(though personally, i like the little sidebar box date/app-name idea better for updates, but eh, :P)

shodan816

#13 Post by shodan816 »

Some authors update their apps each time they cross a 'T' or dot an 'i'. Perhaps one way to control this is to implement a site app that sends a polite message to folks who update their apps more than, for example, once per week, and ask their consideration when submitting frequently. Worth a try, at least, to appease those who don't want strict rules on updating.

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

I don't think this would be feasible, firstly (normally) it's not the developer who updates the entries its users like you and me. Secondly I think the topic is starting to stray towards "why developers update their applications?" and how we (TPFC) should intervene in stopping them. This is down to the developers decision, after all they put their FREE time into updating the application. See http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 783#p27783 from usdcs.

The question boils down to should there be a system in place where (for example) if I update PE Studio it won't show on the main DB due to a maximum (restriction) of 3 updates per month.

I can understand the "less is more" philosophy, but I just want to remind people back in the day with the lack of updates :D (Sorry Andrew!)

lyx

#15 Post by lyx »

Am i understanding this correctly, that this won't stop showing the current version on app pages, but will instead only affect notification of updates (RSS and frontpage)?

Asking because i proposed the "accumulator" with the assumption that it only affects notification.

P.S.: And yes, i agree that its not "our" business to tell developers how they should schedule their releases. As i understand it, the idea behind limiting update-notifications simply is to assume a certain "sane" schedule for updating STABLE releases, and that way handle apps that do "snapshots" instead of "stable releases" according to our terms, not theirs.