Rainlendar Lite update install procedure

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
Darkbee

Rainlendar Lite update install procedure

#1 Post by Darkbee »

There is no need to have all of that complicated Universal Extractor stuff in the install instructions. The Rainlendar 2 installer supports installing to a portable device (which in essence simply creates the rainledar2.ini in the application's installed directory automatically). Thus, upon finding the ini file in the same directory as the program, Rainlendar 2 will then save all data to its own folder.

Upon executing the installer program, users can select the type of install as "Portable Installation" and then simply select the location on the portable drive they wish to install to.

Since I'm here I'll post a few comments about the newer Rainlendar... it looks pretty much like the old version initially, but it seems that the behinds the scenes stuff has been cleaned up, like the options (now you shouldn't have to manually tinker with ini files anymore). The events manager has been improved and integreted with the todo list manager. Todo lists seem more comprehensive allowing percentage of todo complete, alarms and start/end dates. Importing my events and todos from the old Rainlendar was a breeze I was simply able to import the ini files that contained the todos and events.

On the downside, Rainlendar 2 seems to use more memory than the original with the memory usage jumping from around 5MB to 14MB. However, I think that for the overall slicker execution of the program it is worth updgrading. There is just lots of small little touches that make Rainlendar 2 feel a little more polished.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! I always grab for Universal Extractor as my first option these days whenever I encounter an installer. Hee hee..

I have updated the extraction instructions as you suggested.

Darkbee

#3 Post by Darkbee »

Andrew Lee wrote:Thanks! I always grab for Universal Extractor as my first option these days whenever I encounter an installer. Hee hee..
I know what you mean, almost by default I use it if I see an exe installer.

Firewrath

#4 Post by Firewrath »

...and UE is really nice if you use a shortcut to it in your "SendTo" folder, ^-^