What are the must have portable freewares

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Message
Author
serinacathos
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:56 am
Location: london

What are the must have portable freewares

#1 Post by serinacathos » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:41 pm

I wonder what portable freewares should i have usually in my pendrive ?

-.-
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#2 Post by -.- » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:48 pm

normally just a browser/word editting and maybe some graphic editting is needed :S.
Unless you plan to work exclusively off the pen drive, you wont need much more since you'll have bulk of things on personal/home computer

User avatar
guinness
Posts: 4118
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#3 Post by guinness » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Why don't we create a "TPFC Recommends Collection" of must have applications for your USB Drive? Most popular blogs have created a post to showcase what they deem as the "must have" applications. I think it would be ideal for those getting started with Portable Software, but feel a little bit overwhelmed at what is available.
Added 179 Applications: Portable

serinacathos
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:56 am
Location: london

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#4 Post by serinacathos » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:18 pm

guinness wrote:Why don't we create a "TPFC Recommends Collection" of must have applications for your USB Drive? Most popular blogs have created a post to showcase what they deem as the "must have" applications. I think it would be ideal for those getting started with Portable Software, but feel a little bit overwhelmed at what is available.
good idea guinness the "TPFC Recommends Collection" may help many users visiting this forum

Hydaral
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#5 Post by Hydaral » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Isn't this why we have the "Most popular first" link.

Just go to the category of app you want and sort by popularity.

User avatar
guinness
Posts: 4118
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#6 Post by guinness » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:45 am

But this is difficult for those application which have been added later to gain any popularity. Who can honestly say that the following popular applications represent what they use on their USB Drive. I have listed the most popular applications below, with an alternative to what I deem as popular/better.
FastStone Capture - PicPick
Yod'm 3D - ?
Foxit Reader Portable - SumatraPDF
SilentNight Micro CD Burner - InfraRecorder
PixaMSN - Pidgin
Universal Extractor - OK
Firefox Portable - Opera
Notepad++ - Notepad2
Undelete Plus - Recuva
Typhoon 2001 - ?
OpenOffice Portable - OK
CCleaner - OK
EssentialPIM Free - KeePass
PStart - OK
VirtuaWin -OK
µTorrent - OK
ozSync - FreeFileSync
SIW - OK
TrueCrypt - OK
Universal Viewer - OK (Advanced Users)
Added 179 Applications: Portable

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 7693
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#7 Post by webfork » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:54 am

guinness wrote:But this is difficult for those application which have been added later to gain any popularity. Who can honestly say that the following popular applications represent what they use on their USB Drive. I have listed the most popular applications below, with an alternative to what I deem as popular/better.
Yes, I totally disagree with that list with the exception of two items. However, I'm not sure how to create an "PFW Pick" similar to FreewareGenius' method. Maybe should take another top 10 poll, I'll stick those into a spreadsheet, and whatever comes up most frequently gets an extra icon next to it on the entry?
guinness wrote:I think it would be ideal for those getting started with Portable Software, but feel a little bit overwhelmed at what is available.
Agreed. I like that this site provides a lot of software, entries, and information, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if we gave users a strong starting place for some of the recognized best.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#8 Post by SYSTEM » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 am

guinness wrote:But this is difficult for those application which have been added later to gain any popularity. Who can honestly say that the following popular applications represent what they use on their USB Drive. I have listed the most popular applications below, with an alternative to what I deem as popular/better.
FastStone Capture - PicPick
Yod'm 3D - ?
Foxit Reader Portable - SumatraPDF
SilentNight Micro CD Burner - InfraRecorder
PixaMSN - Pidgin
Universal Extractor - OK
Firefox Portable - Opera
Notepad++ - Notepad2
Undelete Plus - Recuva
Typhoon 2001 - ?
OpenOffice Portable - OK
CCleaner - OK
EssentialPIM Free - KeePass
PStart - OK
VirtuaWin -OK
µTorrent - OK
ozSync - FreeFileSync
SIW - OK
TrueCrypt - OK
Universal Viewer - OK (Advanced Users)
This is a known problem in the scoring system of The Portable Freeware Collection.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 006#p21006

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 027#p21027

Three (60 %) of the five most popular applications are hosted in this website. (BTW - thank you, Andrew. I appreciate keeping pieces of software available even if I don't use them myself. :) )

As the applications hosted here are at least difficult to find anywhere else, the download links of such applications are followed frequently which in turn increases their scores. This explains the scores of FastStone Capture, SilentNight Micro CD Burner, PixaMSN and maybe a couple of other programs in your list.

@serinacathos: There are many portable application suites available. The authors of the following ones are TPFC users:
The following two extremely popular suites are worth mentioning as well:
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 11th playlist: January 26, 2018

User avatar
guinness
Posts: 4118
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#9 Post by guinness » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:29 am

I think WebFork has a good idea/list of popular programs in his Kitchen Sink Collection, which represent the average user of TPFC.
Added 179 Applications: Portable

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 7693
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#10 Post by webfork » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:08 am

guinness wrote:I think WebFork has a good idea/list of popular programs in his Kitchen Sink Collection, which represent the average user of TPFC.
Thanks :)
SYSTEM wrote:Three (60 %) of the five most popular applications are hosted in this website.
Oh yeah -- I didn't think of that. PFW has essentially become the home page for those applications. A quick Google search for FastStone Capture shows that we're #3 (technically #2 if you don't count the indented entry) under the application's official site.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

serinacathos
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:56 am
Location: london

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#11 Post by serinacathos » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:16 pm

SYSTEM wrote:
guinness wrote:But this is difficult for those application which have been added later to gain any popularity. Who can honestly say that the following popular applications represent what they use on their USB Drive. I have listed the most popular applications below, with an alternative to what I deem as popular/better.
FastStone Capture - PicPick
Yod'm 3D - ?
Foxit Reader Portable - SumatraPDF
SilentNight Micro CD Burner - InfraRecorder
PixaMSN - Pidgin
Universal Extractor - OK
Firefox Portable - Opera
Notepad++ - Notepad2
Undelete Plus - Recuva
Typhoon 2001 - ?
OpenOffice Portable - OK
CCleaner - OK
EssentialPIM Free - KeePass
PStart - OK
VirtuaWin -OK
µTorrent - OK
ozSync - FreeFileSync
SIW - OK
TrueCrypt - OK
Universal Viewer - OK (Advanced Users)
This is a known problem in the scoring system of The Portable Freeware Collection.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 006#p21006

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 027#p21027

Three (60 %) of the five most popular applications are hosted in this website. (BTW - thank you, Andrew. I appreciate keeping pieces of software available even if I don't use them myself. :) )

As the applications hosted here are at least difficult to find anywhere else, the download links of such applications are followed frequently which in turn increases their scores. This explains the scores of FastStone Capture, SilentNight Micro CD Burner, PixaMSN and maybe a couple of other programs in your list.

@serinacathos: There are many portable application suites available. The authors of the following ones are TPFC users:
The following two extremely popular suites are worth mentioning as well:
ok SYSTEM portable application suites are useful but they contain many mediocre apps and the same problem...how to choose?

User avatar
guinness
Posts: 4118
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#12 Post by guinness » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:01 pm

The URL in your signature seems to contain Portable Versions of Software which could be construed as breaking their respective license agreements.
Added 179 Applications: Portable

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#13 Post by SYSTEM » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:31 pm

serinacathos wrote:ok SYSTEM portable application suites are useful but they contain many mediocre apps and the same problem...how to choose?
You have to choose something in the end. No one else can do that for you. :|

Starting with an application suite reduces the amount of options a lot. There are nearly 2000 applications in the TPFC database and I only mentioned five suites in my earlier post.

I personally started using portable applications in May 2009 by searching portable versions of applications I used already. For example, I had (and still have) GIMP installed, so I did a search and downloaded GIMP Portable.

You can compare the content of the suites with the list of applications you use.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 11th playlist: January 26, 2018

serinacathos
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:56 am
Location: london

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#14 Post by serinacathos » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:33 am

SYSTEM wrote:
serinacathos wrote:ok SYSTEM portable application suites are useful but they contain many mediocre apps and the same problem...how to choose?
You have to choose something in the end. No one else can do that for you. :|

Starting with an application suite reduces the amount of options a lot. There are nearly 2000 applications in the TPFC database and I only mentioned five suites in my earlier post.

I personally started using portable applications in May 2009 by searching portable versions of applications I used already. For example, I had (and still have) GIMP installed, so I did a search and downloaded GIMP Portable.

You can compare the content of the suites with the list of applications you use.
:oops: allright SYSTEM so can you show us a list of poular portable freewares you actually use
thx

User avatar
Checker
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Ingolstadt [DE]

Re: What are the must have portable freewares

#15 Post by Checker » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:58 am

@ serinacathos: See :wink:

... and:
guinness wrote:The URL in your signature seems to contain Portable Versions of Software which could be construed as breaking their respective license agreements.
I think the same :!:

Post Reply