Internal scores of older applications

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Napiophelios

Re: Internal scores of older applications

#16 Post by Napiophelios »

dmg wrote:I would like to know why I still only get 404 - not found from each of the links.
I am using Chromium browser...so thats proly the deal at my end.
I get that every now and then with some sites and links that others say are fine.
Could be something in host file too,I use an updater but I really have never checked it out t see whats listed.

SYSTEM

#17 Post by SYSTEM »

I'd like to point out that the lists Andrew has created don't contain all applications which will become private when "admin" stops supporting them (or I have understood something wrong ;) .

Even after "admin" no longer supports these programs, the internal score limit will stay 10. Correct?

When the change is made, every application that were in the TPFC database before the introduction of voting system will lose 10 points. For example, the internal score of Qemu Manager will drop from 15 to 5 and the score of GIMP Portable from 13 to 3. Both of these applications, as well as many other applications, will become private, even though they're not on the lists Andrew has created.

BTW, both of these applications are in my favorites list, but my nickname isn't mentioned on either page (because I'm R0, I think). Is this intentional?

@dmg, Napiophelios, I am Baas: I also see "404 - Not Found" when I click any of the links in the latest list. I'm using the Opera browser.

Andrew Lee

#18 Post by Andrew Lee »

I'd like to point out that the lists Andrew has created don't contain all applications which will become private when "admin" stops supporting them (or I have understood something wrong ;) .
You're right. I will generate a more complete list later. Thanks for pointing this out!

Andrew Lee

#19 Post by Andrew Lee »

I get "404-Not Found" error message with all of them
My apologies. I have fixed the URLs in the list. Please try again.

Andrew Lee

#20 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have generated the updated list and the situation is worse than I thought. 1187/1328 admin-support apps are not "strong" enough to stand on their own yet. :(

dmg

#21 Post by dmg »

Oh dear! that is rather a dire situation. I can only speak for myself, but I would say many users simply cannot or will not go through page after page of older apps to find the occasional gem. perhaps some sort of adjustment to the rating system would be in order... ???

donald

#22 Post by donald »

As an option that may be technically impossible I would posit:

if messages, and or emails could be sent to all of the members listed in the sections Suggested by, and Updated by for each application that many applications would find two supporters willing and likely able to vote for something they were interested in.

Additionally a second and more worthwhile (plausible) option could be posting lists by category as separate threads,or just separate posts, thus audio lovers could vote for Audacity, coolplayer, and various ripping tools etc.

Thus everyone would need only vote within their categories of interest, obviating the need to cover pages of applications.

Though of course it (voting) could all be done on the basis of applications known to you by name, or found in your bundle of applications, and maybe a few of those that seem interesting thrown in for good measure.

I have gone through the most recent list posted to this thread and voted for all the applications I know and use.

Napiophelios

#23 Post by Napiophelios »

dmg wrote:Oh dear! that is rather a dire situation. I can only speak for myself, but I would say many users simply cannot or will not go through page after page of older apps to find the occasional gem. perhaps some sort of adjustment to the rating system would be in order... ???
I agree with the bit about the average passer-by not wanting to go thru the entire list,
but lets keep the rules at a minimum.

Instead of some sort of adjustment, lets just have any one genuinely concerned go the extra mile like Webfork,
and write a few quick reviews for their favorites on the endangered list...drum up some support for'em :)

I am on the verge of setting to motion my own personal support campaign for Icon Sushi if things dont start to perk up

Looks like AlienArena could use a little help too...needs to be tested for portability tho.
:P

"Defects are always more tolerable than the changes necessary to correct them"

joby_toss

#24 Post by joby_toss »

I went through the entire list.
I voted for every app that I ever used/tested/tryed out/seen in action ... over 300 apps.

donald

#25 Post by donald »

Andrew

This may be asking a lot, but if it is not to difficult could you provide a search term for applications that are under 10 points without admin?

This would effectively be like the current search term for private applications but would exclude admin points.

Or is this technically too hard or unfeasible?

Just a thought it might let the less determined support their own favorites without too much effort.

Thanks.

Andrew Lee

#26 Post by Andrew Lee »

I am on the verge of setting to motion my own personal support campaign for Icon Sushi if things dont start to perk up
Icon Sushi is safe now. :D I just voted for it. It is an indispensable gem, especially for manipulating icon sets (single ico file containing multiple icons). Just haven't come to it yet... Thanks for the reminder.
This may be asking a lot, but if it is not to difficult could you provide a search term for applications that are under 10 points without admin?
It's difficult. To generate the current list, I had to manually duplicate three tables, delete all the admin scores, then calculate the sums for all the apps. Anyway, I don't see how the other way is more difficult i.e. loading the list in the browser and use the "Find" function of the browser.

Well, let's not be too stressed out about the legacy situation. There's no set deadline for removing admin support. We will do it when it feels right. Meanwhile, let's continue to monitor the situation.

carbonize

#27 Post by carbonize »

Well in the sidebar you have a list of the popular program so why not a second list of the lowest scoring programs. Maybe colour it differently so it stands out. Might also be worth making the voting system a little more obvious. I mean on my screen resolution of 1600x900 the rocks/sucks icons are so far to the right they don't appear part of the entry and are pretty feint anyway. Maybe some text somewhere reminding people that they should vote to say if the program was good or not.

Personally I was thinking maybe an overhaul of the voting system to a rating out of 5 system like IMDB because sometimes a program is just OK, not brilliant, not crap just OK.

Some other ideas:
In the program entries maybe list some of the people who have added it to their favourites with their name being a link to their favourites list? A bit like the lists on Mozilla's add ons site.

Anyway to make it automatically return us to the page we were on when we voted?

SYSTEM

#28 Post by SYSTEM »

carbonize wrote: Some other ideas:
In the program entries maybe list some of the people who have added it to their favourites with their name being a link to their favourites list? A bit like the lists on Mozilla's add ons site.
It is already possible to see the list of members* who have voted a particular application by going to http://www.portablefreeware.com/scorelist.php?id=ID, for example http://www.portablefreeware.com/scorelist.php?id=641. But maybe going to such pages could be made easier, for example by adding a link somewhere.

*R1 and above, at least (see my previous post).

Andrew Lee

#29 Post by Andrew Lee »

It is already possible to see the list of members who have voted a particular application by going to http://www.portablefreeware.com/scorelist.php?id=ID, for example http://www.portablefreeware.com/scorelist.php?id=641. But maybe going to such pages could be made easier, for example by adding a link somewhere.
If you are logged in, you can also see the list by clicking on the hidden link on the internal score:

eg. Popularity score (564/15) - click on the hidden link under "15"

The reason why these details are not publicized is because the internal voting was never intended to be public and voting permission is restricted to a small group of registered members.

carbonize

#30 Post by carbonize »

Yes but if you make it visible people are more likely to use them to get recommendations which might help some of the lesser known programs.