Beta Tester needed - Portable Application Launcher

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
wirrerork

Beta Tester needed - Portable Application Launcher

#1 Post by wirrerork »

I could need some help testing the new features implemented in Portable Application Launcher V2.0.3.189 Beta.

http://www.download.irohde.de/index.php ... =2&lang=en

New features include:
* Drag&Drop files from windows explorer
* Launchpad (Right click menu)
* Multiple pages can be used to maintain multiple application trees (arrow buttons on both sides)
* RSS Feed modules (Modules -> +)
* Display most used apps (Right click the apps button)
* Installationmode (Main Menu -> Advanced)
* Integrated browser to download directly from the Portable Freeware Collection (Main Menu -> Download programs ...)
* Translation (i am not a native speaker, as you may have noticed)

Maybe someone can spare some time trying out any of these. That would be cool. :D

ps: screenshot under http://www.download.irohde.de/images/st ... n_beta.jpg

webfork

Re: Beta Tester needed

#2 Post by webfork »

Any chance I could talk you into opening up the source code, ideally to the GPL?

Sorry if I'm repeating someone else's work and you already know most of this:

Tested:
* Install PAF file works great
* Drag and drop works great

Problems:
* File - Download Programs. When you try to download something the prompts are in German.
* Right clicking and adding a group creates a german group by default. Should probably be "New Group"
* Launch pad doesn't contain icons on my screen. Its just two blanks that show their function when you hover your mouse over it.
* Doesn't snap to the edge of the screen. I'm using XP SP3 in VMware so that might just be me.
* Typing something in search field gives black text highlighted by black, which means its unreadable
* Can't change background image, only disable it
* Can't turn off the drive size monitor at the bottom of the screen
* Can't figure out how to modify RSS feeds
* Not clear on what installation mode does

Its definitely come a long way since the last release. Great work.

wirrerork

#3 Post by wirrerork »

Thanks alot , i will work on the problems.

Maybe some explainations are helpful:
* Doesn't snap to the edge of the screen. I'm using XP SP3 in VMware so that might just be me.
-> activate and leave the window with the mouse cursor.
* Can't change background image, only disable it
-> should be possible in the settings dialog box
* Not clear on what installation mode does
-> Start installation mode and install programs into the Apps dir. then end installation mode, to have them added automatically.

* Typing something in search field gives black text highlighted by black, which means its unreadable
->Do you use some different windows color theme other than the default?

* Can't turn off the drive size monitor at the bottom of the screen
->Now possible. Thanks for the suggestion. New option in the settings dialog box added.
* Can't figure out how to modify RSS feeds
->Now possible. Thanks for the suggestion. New module "feedreader" added, where you can specify a url when adding the module.

* File - Download Programs. When you try to download something the prompts are in German.
* Right clicking and adding a group creates a german group by default. Should probably be "New Group"
->Fixed
* Launch pad doesn't contain icons on my screen. Its just two blanks that show their function when you hover your mouse over it.
->Could not yet reproduce that. Does it work, if you click the square button on the right to display large icons?

In your opinion, is the multiple pages feature is useful or should it be disabled by default (left/right arrows next to the applications)?

Again thanks alot for your time and effort. And sorry that the code will not be GPL.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

>> Doesn't snap to the edge of the screen. I'm using XP SP3 in VMware so that might just be me.
> activate and leave the window with the mouse cursor.

I tried that as well but still nothing.

>>* Can't change background image, only disable it
> should be possible in the settings dialog box

Sorry -- that should have been "feature request" and not "problem".

>> Not clear on what installation mode does
> Start installation mode and install programs into the Apps dir. then end installation mode, to have them added automatically.

Cool. I'd recommend some kind of help doc or popup bubble that explains this.

I just tested this out and I must say I'm extremely impressed. It installs most portablefreeware.com entries seamlessly. This is a really, really big deal for the site. I hope other people are reading this thread and try this feature.

Also, if possible, I would automatically remove the ".exe" at the end of the menu item in installation mode. Its just cleaner, but not that important.

>> Typing something in search field gives black text highlighted by black, which means its unreadable
>Do you use some different windows color theme other than the default?

My desktop background is black but I haven't customized my system colors beyond that.

>> Can't turn off the drive size monitor at the bottom of the screen
>Now possible. Thanks for the suggestion. New option in the settings dialog box added.

Cool, thanks. I noticed double clicking the drive monitor pulls up Explorer, which is great.

>> Can't figure out how to modify RSS feeds
>Now possible. Thanks for the suggestion. New module "feedreader" added, where you can specify a url when adding the module.

Excellent.

>> Right clicking and adding a group creates a german group by default. Should probably be "New Group"
>Fixed

Sehr gut

>> Launch pad doesn't contain icons on my screen. Its just two blanks that show their function when you hover your mouse over it.
>Could not yet reproduce that. Does it work, if you click the square button on the right to display large icons?

The window gets bigger and I can click on it fine but still no icon.

> In your opinion, is the multiple pages feature is useful or should it be disabled by default (left/right arrows next to the applications)?

Its very innovative but not intuitive since I didn't even notice it. I would probably remove it or make it optional.

> Again thanks alot for your time and effort.

No problem, glad to help. Wish more developers would post here.

> And sorry that the code will not be GPL.

My current favorite launcher program Pstart isn't open either, so I'm not picky.

wirrerork

#5 Post by wirrerork »

Sorry to bother you again.

-> Possibly fixed. Now snaps immediatly on click.
-> Fixed. (WinXP issue). Thanks for the hint.
* multiple pages feature
-> Disabled by default (new option in settings dialog)
-> Could you post your settings.zip and tell me what screen resolution and color depth you use?
* faq http://www.download.irohde.de/index.php ... =8&lang=en
-> Does it make sense to you?

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

The module move up and move down setup is great. Good add.

-> Possibly fixed. Now snaps immediatly on click.

I tested on another system that's not my weird VMware device. Works fine.

-> Fixed. (WinXP issue). Thanks for the hint.

Tested. Works fine now.

* multiple pages feature
-> Disabled by default (new option in settings dialog)

Agreed - much prefer the current version.

-> Could you post your settings.zip and tell me what screen resolution and color depth you use?

1280 x 1024, 32-bit color. I don't have access to the other machine right now so not sure of the resolution on the other machine. I'll look if you still need.

---

I've been using this program a great deal over the past week. I'm really digging on it and there's a lot I'd like (which I can go into detail if you'd like) but I also have a lot of requests if you're feeling ambitious.
  • Capability to have small icons in the main window
  • Some way to organize program listings alphabetically (and by size, date, etc)
  • I'm confused by the way a program can be dragged-and-dropped to become a subfolder of another program. That's odd.
  • Listing the version number in the title should be optional. Right now when I drag something in, it has a very long name.
  • Some kind of quick open/edit capability with the menu. Ideally F2 will open the Edit menu.
  • Add File - Templates is cool, and in English, but the resulting items go back to German.
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with including EjectUSB inside your distribution in terms of the license.
  • I would change the "power" icon to something else. I connect that icon too closely with the computer power (standby, restart, shutdown, etc)
  • I didn't like that green button running next to a program at first, but its growing on me. Still I think it would turn off some users so I'd make it optional.
  • When you add a file to a folder, for some reason the window jumps up to the very top. This is very minor, but annoying.
  • When you right-click and select "browse for folder" there's some German words I can't figure out. Not sure what this is about.
  • As you drag-and-drop, a line between items should appear
  • Better drag and drop to the bottom of the list. Right now there's a very narrow space where I can add icons without it trying to make a subfolder icon
  • Optionally, allow the user to close Launcher without closing the programs that were started inside it. Sometimes when I was restarting the program, it would take all my programs I was working on with it.
  • Optionally able to start the program with the window opening, and not ust a taskbar button.

wirrerork

#7 Post by wirrerork »

Thanks for your suggestions and your effort in testing. Some of these features are very hard to implement though. There is a new beta version http://www.download.irohde.de/index.php ... =2&lang=en, which includes

* Capability to have small icons in the main window
* Some way to organize program listings alphabetically (Advanced -> Sort)
* (Bugfix) Add File - Templates in english
* Close Launcher without closing the programs that were started inside it (settings -> close programs on exit)
* Optionally able to start the program with the window opening, and not ust a taskbar button (should remember its last state)

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

wirrerork wrote:Some of these features are very hard to implement though.
I didn't mean to overwhelm you with requests; I had a lot of time on my hands and just kept adding to a list.
* Capability to have small icons in the main window
* Some way to organize program listings alphabetically (Advanced -> Sort)
* (Bugfix) Add File - Templates in english
* Close Launcher without closing the programs that were started inside it (settings -> close programs on exit)
* Optionally able to start the program with the window opening, and not ust a taskbar button (should remember its last state)
Tested all of the above - work great. Excellent changes -- thanks!

Edit: possible bug:

1. Drag one program icon onto another, making it the subheading. For this example, I'll say you drag 7zip onto OpenOffice.
2. Drag the OpenOffice icon onto the 7zip icon.
3. Crash.

wirrerork

#9 Post by wirrerork »

Possible bug is indeed a bug. Fixed in new beta version, thanks for telling me about it.

wirrerork

#10 Post by wirrerork »

I must admit, at first I thought that would be a joke. I am doing this in my spare time. Its totally freeware, there is no money I earn from this. I can only ask people to be so kind to tell me about bugs or feature requests.

SYSTEM

#11 Post by SYSTEM »

wirrerork wrote:I must admit, at first I thought that would be a joke. I am doing this in my spare time. Its totally freeware, there is no money I earn from this. I can only ask people to be so kind to tell me about bugs or feature requests.
Don't worry. black7mt's post is not a joke. It's spam. (Reported.)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

wirrerork

#12 Post by wirrerork »

ok. thx.