My Successful Portables

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
zhouyu

My Successful Portables

#1 Post by zhouyu »

Call Of Duty1
Metal Gear Solid 1
Photoshop 7
Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper
PhotoDream

and a bunch of freeware

rickrusco

#2 Post by rickrusco »

I've been using MS Office 97 as a portable app for quite some time.
It ran off the CD so I knew it could be done.
Here is a list of files you need from your install cd.

EXCEL.EXE
EXCEL8.OLB
FM20.DLL
HLP95EN.DLL
MSAIN800.DLL
MSDraw8.hlp
MSForms.TWD
MSO7ENU.DLL
MSO97.DLL
Normal.dot
POWERPNT.EXE
PPINTL.DLL
REFEDIT.DLL
SCANLOAD.DLL
SELFREG.DLL
STDOLE2.TLB
VBA332.DLL
VBA3EN.DLL
VBAEN32.OLB
VBE.DLL
VBEEXT1.OLB
WDMAIN8.GID
WDMAIN8.HLP
WDNEW8.HLP
WDTIP8.HLP
WDWPH8.HLP
WINWORD.EXE
WWINTL32.DLL
XL8409.DLL
XLCALL32.DLL
XLINTL32.DLL
XLMACR8.HLP
XLMAIN8.GID
XLMAIN8.HLP
XLNEW8.HLP
XLTIP8.HLP
XLTMPL8.HLP

Just put them all into a single folder on your drive. Of course you don't need to have the help files. I sometimes use them to remind me of what is the proper syntax for functions.

This is not stealth. It writes to the registry. I like to use this as my portable office suite because it is small, fast, and 100% compatible with MS Office (obviously :wink: ).

Please don't ask me to send files. Use a licened copy of an install CD.

Enjoy,
Rick

panting portable

Re: My Successful Portables

#3 Post by panting portable »

I cant find these files on my cd:
MSforms.twd
Normall.dot
WDMAIN8.gid
xlmain8.gid

When I startup Word (excel and powerpoint are fine) I get the message
"registry reported that one or more required files are damaged or missing, to correct this problem run word setup"
however despite the message word functions fine
Do you get any such message?

edit, I found out that WDMAIN8.gid and xlmain8.gid get created after you run the help file for the first time - so of course they were not on the cd. The only file I dont have is MSForms.twd which is supposed to be located in you WINDOWS\system32 folder normally.
Anyway I doubt that this is what is giving me the registry message.

rickrusco

#4 Post by rickrusco »

I tried to do a clean install on a new drive and also realized I couldn't find MSforms.twd either. I think it gets created later. As far as the registry complaining that you haven't run setup, it will do that every time. But, as you pointed out, Word will still work.

I really like Excel 97 because it's fast and I know a lot of the keyboard shortcuts (we use 2007 @ work and I hate it). Although Excel 97 does work with the files I've listed, it is a very limited version. I'm working on figuring out how to get Macros and VB to work.

I'll keep you posted.

abacusFanboi

#5 Post by abacusFanboi »

rickrusco wrote:I tried to do a clean install on a new drive and also realized I couldn't find MSforms.twd either. I think it gets created later. As far as the registry complaining that you haven't run setup, it will do that every time. But, as you pointed out, Word will still work.

I really like Excel 97 because it's fast and I know a lot of the keyboard shortcuts (we use 2007 @ work and I hate it). Although Excel 97 does work with the files I've listed, it is a very limited version. I'm working on figuring out how to get Macros and VB to work.

I'll keep you posted.
might be something useful in these:
http://www.google.com/search?q=word+reg ... n%22+setup

long ago, when checking out a new network ('woohoo') I doubleclicked word 95 from another pc. it loaded and seemed to run normally. i don't remember it much now. i'd expect all of the local child files would need to be located in options (spell dictionaries, templates, etc). I think word 95 could run simultaneously on both pcs.
also, word 95 used wordbasic macros, not vb.

both pcs were win 98se. the pc I was using had word 2000 installed, which luckily wasn't wrecked by starting up word 95.