Search with options

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

Search with options

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

There is now an "options" link besides the "Search" button that lets you search with a few more parameters:

- Number of results per page (up to 100)
- Results type (new only, or new + updates)

chadross

Re: Search with options

#2 Post by chadross »

Great feature add... thanks Andrew

donald

#3 Post by donald »

I would like to make two specific search option suggestions.

1.) Search by category. ie: [@] Internet - Web Browsers to search for web browsers, and thus show all apps in the category including those new entries that are not approved.

2.) Search results ordered by total number of votes. ie: allow to search for new entries that are not approved.

If these were both added it would allow for searches for specific types of applications that are not in the database yet.

One example of why you might want this currently Text - Search/Replace shows 6 apps in the category when you go to the All categories page, but when you click on the link for Text - Search/Replace it shows 5 apps.

To find the unapproved app would be hard unless it is very recent using currently available search methods, but with category search and the ability to order by number of votes this would be easy even if the unapproved app was favorited a year ago.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks for the suggestions! They have gone into my todo list for the time being until my life becomes saner again to work on TPFC.
One example of why you might want this currently Text - Search/Replace shows 6 apps in the category when you go to the All categories page, but when you click on the link for Text - Search/Replace it shows 5 apps.
This is actually a bug! At first glance, tt seems quite tricky to fix, so I will have to meditate on it a little. But it will get fixed eventually...

Edit: This bug has been fixed. The counts will now reflect the number of "approved" apps and will not include the private entries.

Wolfghost

#5 Post by Wolfghost »

This is a suggestion:

1 Please add "under Options on Search" Match whole word !!

I'm not so happy when I search database for a prog and get this: + Forum topics matching your query (click to view)

Yea and view what, a whole scrolling down site of topics, and yes the best are A Few Apps !!!

2 Get rid of all this shit !! If all of this apps is portable and ready to FAQ of TPFC, well UPLOAD this to database then !!
This list will be bigger and bigger if not !!

3 If I have to go through out the list of this shit every time I want to submit something, yes forget it !!

4 So Dear moderators, your have a big challenge here, please do something !!

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

I don't quite understand. With the new system, all you have to do is search all entries using "[@] appname". If no one has posted it yet, you can safely go ahead and do so, then let everyone know.

The forum topics search listing is provided as a convenience for users doing searches, and is collapsed initially so as not to overwhelm the casual browser. Why do you have to expand it and go through the "shit" every time? :?:

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

I think an option inside of "options" next to the search box would be cool, but I don't really have an issue with the @ system.

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

I would love an option to see how many applications a person has suggested and/or added. So I could search [Checker] +Submit and it would show the applications Checker has submitted to TPFC!

dmg

#9 Post by dmg »

Andrew Lee wrote:I don't quite understand. With the new system, all you have to do is search all entries using "[@] appname". If no one has posted it yet, you can safely go ahead and do so, then let everyone know.

The forum topics search listing is provided as a convenience for users doing searches, and is collapsed initially so as not to overwhelm the casual browser. Why do you have to expand it and go through the "shit" every time? :?:
I am not certain, but he may be referring to the fact that searching for an app name with a space in it brings up results for the separate parts of the title in addition to the app you may have been looking for. This can be overwhelming at times. Certain words can bring up many hundreds of results. I think he is asking for a way to make the search match the whole search string only, and not the individual parts.

I could be wrong....

Wolfghost

#10 Post by Wolfghost »

I think he is asking for a way to make the search match the whole search string only, and not the individual parts.

I could be wrong....[/quote]

It's correct dmg

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think he is asking for a way to make the search match the whole search string only, and not the individual parts.
You can use double quotes eg. "extreme editor".

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

I would love an option to see how many applications a person has suggested and/or added. So I could search [Checker] +Submit and it would show the applications Checker has submitted to TPFC!
Added to my todo. Thanks!